What's new

Hot Tubs

The Thriller

I probably don’t have the coin to put one in this year. Perhaps next year or the year after? I’ve always wanted a hot tub. We’d probably have to take out a sprinkler or two and extend our concrete pad outside in our backyard for a 4-6 person hot tub. We’d also have to have an electrician put in a 220v outlet for the hot tub.

Have any of you done anything like that?

In my view a hot tub could be a lot of fun to use here in northern utah in the months between October and May. Any thoughts or opinions?

I probably don’t have the coin to put one in this year. Perhaps next year or the year after? I’ve always wanted a hot tub. We’d probably have to take out a sprinkler or two and extend our concrete pad outside in our backyard for a 4-6 person hot tub. We’d also have to have an electrician put in a 220v outlet for the hot tub.

Have any of you done anything like that?

In my view a hot tub could be a lot of fun to use here in northern utah in the months between October and May. Any thoughts or opinions?
I hear its expensive to run. Like your gas bill goes way up each month. So it costs a lot to buy and then costs a lot to use. Basically another monthly bill. I post this having never owned a hot tub myself.

I hear its expensive to run. Like your gas bill goes way up each month. So it costs a lot to buy and then costs a lot to use. Basically another monthly bill. I post this having never owned a hot tub myself.
Good insight. Does it need a gas line to run? Or does it just need a dryer hookup which i think is 220v? I’ve only had a hot tub on vacation. So perhaps that’s why I like them? But a drastic increase in utilities is something to consider. Maybe I should get solar panels first then? Lol

Good insight. Does it need a gas line to run? Or does it just need a dryer hookup which i think is 220v? I’ve only had a hot tub on vacation. So perhaps that’s why I like them? But a drastic increase in utilities is something to consider. Maybe I should get solar panels first then? Lol
Natural gas is a lot cheaper than heating with electricity. My hot tub is in-ground and is heated by my gas-fueled pool heater so I can't provide a lot of insight into what you are trying to do but I can tell you that heating with gas is the way to do it. I do have a huge solar array and when contracting its installation I asked about putting up enough panels to run the heater. I was told by the solar company not to do it because natural gas is so much less expensive for that task.

The heater can be gas or electric.

In Utah over time a gas heater would cost you a lot less. It'll also be much faster and responsive.

I'm guessing install on an electric unit will cost a lot less, be simpler, more compact. It'll just5 cost more to run and take more time to heat up a cold tub.

Above ground hot tubs need a lot of upkeep to keep bacteria out, and not just chemicals, but actual surface scrubbing of the plastic and are kind of gross:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hot-...kQFnoECEMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0vCMLsAdj-nR5OtAXdZNiO

Additionally, above ground hot tubs add no value (and often are a detractor) to buyers.

If you have a good contractor, an in-ground hot tub may cost 1.5-2x more than a premium above ground unit, but it adds value to a home. This was a number of years ago, and current construction labor may have skewed the cost for in ground, but it is at least worth comparing.

We built an in-ground salt water unit at our vacation home. Requires a lot less upkeep, no chlorine, and actually stays cleaner and avoids the nasty bacteria (upfront cost for us was about $1,000 extra for the salt equipment). Definitely worth it.

If you can afford a high-end above ground unit, price out in ground too and see if you can get a home equity line to cover it. The value it may add to your home may offset the additional cost.

One thing I learned from family and friends who purchased above ground hot tubs is try to test drive it first. My mother bought one, it looks really cool, top of the line, but the way the seats are designed when the jets are going everyone floats, irritatingly in the middle. They actually had to buy weights people can hold on their laps to keep them down. A neighbor bought one that was huge, but has like 2 sides that are full recliners. Looks nifty, sounds good in concept, until you want to have more than 3 people in their 6-8 person hot tub and there is almost nowhere comfortable to sit. Then we lived in a house with one that you couldn't run half the jets because if you were in just the wrong position, which happened basically every time you shifted positions, you essentially got an enema. So see if you can try it out before you buy. They can do weird things you won't know about until it's in full operation.

I can only speak to the electrical side of things. Most above ground hot tubs are electrically heated. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a gas one (I didn’t even know that was a thing until this thread. Still not quite sure I believe it and not going to do any research).

Most hot tubs require a 220 volt 50 (some require 60) amp circuit. It requires GFCI protection and a disconnect means within sight AND within 25 feet of the hot tub. The most common way to do that is to bring the circuit out of whatever power source you have the easiest access to and then put the GFCI protection at the disconnect spot by the hot tub. A 2 pole 50 amp GFCI breaker costs > $100 for just the breaker, if you can find them. Ironically, Home Depot and Lowes sell spa disconnects with that breaker already installed in the enclosure for $99. Again, if you can find them. The last two I did, I couldn’t find those disconnects in stock anywhere in the three metro counties and had to buy one from my normal supplier at over twice the cost. That is all based on the 50 amp size. Good luck if it’s 60 amps. Price easily doubles. But I’ve only ever done one of those.

For comparison, electric dryers use a 30 amp circuit. An electric oven is on a 40 amp circuit. That doesn’t mean the hot tub is using all that power, all the time. But just like your gas water heater has to monitor the water temp and ignite to keep the water temp accurate, the hot tub heater would have to run to keep the temp up. Then add the pumps and the jets and the lights and that’s when the power usage really goes up.

If the gas thing is true, you’d have to consider that the time it would be used most is when your gas is being most to heat your house, in the winter. So you’d be adding more cost to the expensive part of your gas bill. It would probably take a bit of research to see if your house has a big enough gas line to be able to add that extra BTU load.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I can only speak to the electrical side of things. Most above ground hot tubs are electrically heated. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a gas one (I didn’t even know that was a thing until this thread. Still not quite sure I believe it and not going to do any research).

Most hot tubs require a 220 volt 50 (some require 60) amp circuit. It requires GFCI protection and a disconnect means within sight AND within 25 feet of the hot tub. The most common way to do that is to bring the circuit out of whatever power source you have the easiest access to and then put the GFCI protection at the disconnect spot by the hot tub. A 2 pole 50 amp GFCI breaker costs > $100 for just the breaker, if you can find them. Ironically, Home Depot and Lowes sell spa disconnects with that breaker already installed in the enclosure for $99. Again, if you can find them. The last two I did, I couldn’t find those disconnects in stock anywhere in the three metro counties and had to buy one from my normal supplier at over twice the cost. That is all based on the 50 amp size. Good luck if it’s 60 amps. Price easily doubles. But I’ve only ever done one of those.

For comparison, electric dryers use a 30 amp circuit. An electric oven is on a 40 amp circuit. That doesn’t mean the hot tub is using all that power, all the time. But just like your gas water heater has to monitor the water temp and ignite to keep the water temp accurate, the hot tub heater would have to run to keep the temp up. Then add the pumps and the jets and the lights and that’s when the power usage really goes up.

If the gas thing is true, you’d have to consider that the time it would be used most is when your gas is being most to heat your house, in the winter. So you’d be adding more cost to the expensive part of your gas bill. It would probably take a bit of research to see if your house has a big enough gas line to be able to add that extra BTU load.

We moved into a house in 1990 and it had a hot tub that needed a new heater. My dad worked for the gas company (Mountain Fuel at the time) and he was always converting any electric appliances to gas. Not like we got any discounts on that as far as I know but he went to a lot of effort from my perspective to run gas lines and all that to convert dryers, stoves, and in this case the hot tub heater.

I don't think it's common and maybe nowadays it just isn't done but we had a gas heater for our hot tub in the '90s that my father installed.

Having looked at hot tubs on and off the past 3-4 years, prices are also through the roof right now for them. They are about 40-50% more expensive now vs. before Rudy touched some mics.

I’ve resisted the urge simply because I’m not convinced we will stay in our current house in five years.

We moved into a house in 1990 and it had a hot tub that needed a new heater. My dad worked for the gas company (Mountain Fuel at the time) and he was always converting any electric appliances to gas. Not like we got any discounts on that as far as I know but he went to a lot of effort from my perspective to run gas lines and all that to convert dryers, stoves, and in this case the hot tub heater.

I don't think it's common and maybe nowadays it just isn't done but we had a gas heater for our hot tub in the '90s that my father installed.

Anything is convertible, but I just don’t know how many, if any at all, stand alone hot tubs are heated by gas. There would also be the added danger of carbon monoxide poisoning if it didn’t get vented properly.

We bought a hot tub from Costco about three years ago. It wasn’t the cheapest one but was definitely on the cheaper end. I don’t have many complaints there, but I also have no experience with “nicer” ones, so it may be that I don’t know what I’m missing. The maintenance has been surprisingly minimal once I realized to only focus on the chlorine and pH. The electricity went up but not significantly. I can’t give specifics on what it is because it’s been too long. It definitely gets a lot of use. Getting a bit less use now that I finished a small 4x6 sauna but still definitely used regularly.