What's new

Houston shopping everyone

Beantown

ESPN.com's Chad Ford wrote in a chat on Wednesday that the Rockets are very active in trade talks.

According to Ford, Yao Ming isn't the only player Houston is making available in trade discussions.

"Rockets are very, very active right now. Virtually everyone on the team is for sale for the right price," Ford wrote.

"I've heard Yao, Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Battier all mentioned. Rockets want/need a star right now and are willing to package players together to get it. Problem is their talent level is solid, but overpaid. Martin and Scola are good, but few teams want those contracts. Yao is solid as an expiring contract, but there are tons of those floating around. If you believe Yao will come back, could be some value there, but he's an unrestricted free agent this summer."

I know this has been talked about before but it looks like the Rockets are desperate to rebuild. So AK and a 1st round pick for Battier, Jeffries and Lee?

The trade works in the trade machine:

https://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Before Vinyl gets here... Wrong forum, sir.

BTW, your trade idea is pure ****.

Can someone let me in on what is so great about Courtney Lee? I mean, he's a nice player, but by no means is he any semblance of an answer the Jazz should be excited about.

Houston doesn't want a star. They want young talent or draft picks. They are starting over.

Not necessarily. They're in purgatory; no clear direction, no franchise players and too good to draft one of those players. They're looking at the situation like every team should in their situation and they're looking at grabbing a franchise player in a trade or getting what they can for their veterans as a 2nd option. There's no point in staying the course from their position, whether that means going up or going down in the short term, the idea is to eventually go up and they can't do that very well if they just stand pat.

My dream of acquiring Martin and Battier hinges on them getting back to losing but I don't see that happening. They're a good enough team that they'll definitely look to cash in their many chips for a player that can be more of a foundation. If they can't do that, they'll regretfully dump their vets, play their youth, and end up doing bad enough to get better draft picks.

https://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=27t8byl

Why for Utah: We need shooters. Period.
Why for New Jersey: They don't give up very much, plus AK could be a very large part of a Melo trade. Everyone here is convinced that the Russian owner needs a Russian player.
Why for Charlotte: They get the opportunity to dump a lot of salary off the books for the next few years, and get a few great young pieces
Why for Houston: They get a "star" (if you consider wallace a star) and get rid of a few of their wings. It helps them moving forward.

Get Luis freaking scola and/or Shane fing battier.

We need rebounding, defense, and shooting. I have a huge mancrush on Luis Scola.

Get Luis freaking scola and/or Shane fing battier.

We need rebounding, defense, and shooting. I have a huge mancrush on Luis Scola.

Scola comes up most frequently as trade bait when I read clutch fans, but I've broken down what the market is for him, and there really isn't a market for him. Older/contender teams are filled out at the position, and young teams should have little interest in a player that old making that much money.

Anyway, as it pertains to the Jazz, the Jazz have too many PFs as it is. Scola doesn't fit in anywhere unless Millsap gets traded, and I'd rather have Millsap. Personally.

Scola makes little sense as long as the Jazz have Jefferson and Millsap - and I'd prefer to hang on to those 2 over Scola who will be 31 by the end of the season. I always like to watch Scola because I like his game - but I think he's one of those guys who can put up 20 and 10's on bad teams and is closer to a 16 and 8 guy on a good team (similar to Millsap and I'd also take Paul over Scola).

Battier/Jeffries/Lee for AK and a 1st looks great on paper but I have no idea why Houston would do it. Acquiring AK doesn't make them any better and his salary is slightly highter than those 3 combined. Battier and Jeffries are expiring contracts as well, and Courtney Lee would be but the Rockets apparently were high enough on him to exercise their team option on him for next season. I suppose a mid-20s pick could be some incentive - although Houston does have a future Knicks pick and the Jazz have already given up a future 1st to Minnesota - and I doubt Utah wants to go multiple years w/out a 1st round pick. Don't see this ever happening.

Last edited:
Scola comes up most frequently as trade bait when I read clutch fans, but I've broken down what the market is for him, and there really isn't a market for him. Older/contender teams are filled out at the position, and young teams should have little interest in a player that old making that much money.

Anyway, as it pertains to the Jazz, the Jazz have too many PFs as it is. Scola doesn't fit in anywhere unless Millsap gets traded, and I'd rather have Millsap. Personally.

I agree, I don't think Scola is a very good fit on the Jazz.

Personally, if we're not going to trade for a big center like McGee, I'd rather us trade for a SG.

Although, I'm REALLY not a fan of chucker/softie/injury prone Kevin martin.

I just really have a crush on Scola. Dude has a motor that never stops and he's not afraid of anyone. He and Ginobli are by far my most favorite international players to watch. Those two guys just never quit. Kinda remind me of Kirilenko, when he actually played with energy, passion, and reckless abandon.

Some people just want to hate. Call Martin a chucker all you want, but he scores the most points on the fewest shots in the NBA. He also has made more FTs and 3-pointers than anyone in the league. But he's just a chucker.

https://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=27t8byl

Why for Utah: We need shooters. Period.
Why for New Jersey: They don't give up very much, plus AK could be a very large part of a Melo trade. Everyone here is convinced that the Russian owner needs a Russian player.
Why for Charlotte: They get the opportunity to dump a lot of salary off the books for the next few years, and get a few great young pieces
Why for Houston: They get a "star" (if you consider wallace a star) and get rid of a few of their wings. It helps them moving forward.

sorry but Charlotte/MJ LAUGHS, Houston doesnt need another injury prone player (yao/martin), & pointless for NJ (not playing in BKLYN aka Russia-Town yet).