What's new

How about Jarrett Jack?

Med_Phys

With all this PG discussion going on, I don't remember seeing Jack's name much. He was scoring, rebounding and distributing the ball well before he got hurt. He seems to be returning to action. I'm throwing this trade idea out there:
Jack and Ariza for Harris, CJ and the worse of our 2 1st's in the upcoming draft (or another future 1st). https://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=82yq2ed

NO gets out of Ariza's longer contract (tops out at $7.7m in '13/'14), receives CJ's expiring (also MIGHT still be considering a young asset by NO) and Harris' deal actually goes down to $8.5m next season so they aren't getting in to a long term deal (supposedly they want to get younger and shed payroll for the new owner).

For the Jazz, Jack is 28 y.o., but he was having a good year on a bad team. He could be the intermediate PG that Harris was supposed to be. Ariza is 26 y.o. and could allow Hayward to play the 2 more. Taking on Ariza isn't ideal, but if Jack is the answer at PG for the Jazz, it is probably worth it. Thoughts?

Devin is playing better & I think KOC can acquire a better PG, plus Ariza's contract is something we should have no part of!

I'm assuming that Devin won't be our future PG going into next year so, why do we just swap Devin for Felton & a conditional 1st?
The staff would have the rest of the season to determine if he's a player that does fit their future plans & if not, we're out of Devin's contract & can make a play for Augustine or draft a PG.

Last edited:
I endorse acquiring Jarrett Jack as long as none of The Four are going out. I'd even consider Sap (CONSIDER, but would much rather use Jefferson, though).

But we could also do better...

So far the names being thrown around have been: Rondo (highly unlikely), Calderon (he's 30 and there's no one to groom), Augustine (I'm taking Jack over him), Dragic (PHX gave him up when they knew they would need someone when Nash leaves) and Felton (has only played well in NY's system). So what's better than getting Jack? If we're discussing bringing in a quality stater at PG that is somewhat experienced, not too old and that teams are willing to part with, there seems to be a pretty short list. I think Jack is near the top of that short list. I don't mind giving up a first to get a PG that will (hopefully) play well with the young guys as well asvets and get us to the playoffs once this young talent really emerges (like we are all hoping for).
As far as what we could get in the draft, if we get a point guard that can defend, is a 3 pt threat and runs the offense, no need to draft a PG this year. In addition, we don't need to add another young big, I think we should get a guy like Quincy Miller anyway. So, if this trade were to happen I think the team could like this:
PG: Jack, Watson, Tinsley
SG: Hayward, Burks, Bell
SF: Ariza, Howard, Carroll
PF: Millsap, Favors, Evans
C: Jefferson, Kanter

This situation leads me to another trade that I think could be mutually beneficial, although I admittedly don't know as much about Bledsoe:
Bell and Howard for Gomes and Bledsoe from the Clippers (trading $6.0m for $5.4m, should work). I would only do this if Bledsoe can be a current decent backup and/or decent future starter. Taking on Gomes deal (that expires with about half the roster after next year) is the price for getting Bledsoe. If this happens, I could be ok with trading for Calderon (CJ and Devin in exchange works, btw).

PG: Jack, Watson, Bledsoe, Tinsley (don't need to bring him back, been a great teammate though)
SG: Hayward, Burks
SF: Ariza, Gomes, Carroll
PF: Millsap, Favors, Evans
C: Jefferson, Kanter

This still leaves us with good young talent, several expiring contracts if the need arises to make big changes through trades or FA and hopefully a more balanced team (admittedly there may be a lack of 3pt shooting) going forward.