What's new

How are you feeling about John Collins?

I like Collins and was big on trading for him a few seasons back. My only worry is he's going to get targeted on the defensive end during the playoffs. Aside from that, Collins is putting up great offensive numbers and rarely has a **** stat line on the offensive end. He's shot 59.7% in the month of January.
This is about where I'm at, but we need to make the Playoffs first before worrying about him being targeted. I'm good with him as a player and dude, but that contract's a bit steep. But it'll become an asset before we know it, so there isn't a point to worry about him in that regard. He's not Ostertaging this team.

John Martin Collins III has grown much during his brief tenure with thy Jazz. He can throw the ball into the goal from behind the painted line that indicates an extra point shall be awarded. He can play 5-out, unlike our colleague Walker Ross Kessler, who is challenged in the shooting and dribbling aspects. Forward, John, forward, Jazz!

John Martin Collins III has grown much during his brief tenure with thy Jazz. He can throw the ball into the goal from behind the painted line that indicates an extra point shall be awarded. He can play 5-out, unlike our colleague Walker Ross Kessler, who is challenged in the shooting and dribbling aspects. Forward, John, forward, Jazz!
‘Ball’? Surely you mean ‘cowhide globe’, good Sir!

This post is more about our lineup structure than John Martin Collins III himself.

In general, I really like our 5-out lineup. It really gives us the stepping stones on how to be a lethal force on the offensive end. The problem is, we don't have enough quality players to close out games. In the closing minutes, Will wants to maximize shot creation at the expense of defense and, unfortunately, he has really succeeded in that. From the beginning of January, our defensive rating in the 4th quarters has been abysmal 135.6 when Clarkson, Lauri, Sexton and Collins have shared the floor. I also can't imagine that Will would be happy with how we move the ball with that lineup.

So how to fix this problem? We don't have perfect pieces and it's really tough to close out games without players who can create shots for themselves. I believe that replacing Collins with Kessler is a wild card that Will only uses against suitable opponents. The alternative is to improve defense and ball movement but sacrifice shot creation. Until Keyonte grows into this role (maybe never), our starting lineup Dunn-Sexton-Tech-Lauri-Collins is an obvious choice. Another option is to throw Sexton into the deep end as the only one who can handle the rock and replace Dunn with Ochai. Unfortunately, Ochai's development has been at a standstill, and he has absolutely no confidence left.

I.e. I'm stating the obvious: we lack players who can defend, handle the ball, shoot and are not ball stoppers. If Clarkson is traded, there will be growing pains, but in the long run the change will be for the better.

It's funny when you look at Collins' career stats VS this season. They're almost identical VS minutes played and it's a new team and system.

Last edited:
It's funny when you look at Collins' career stats VS this season. They're almost identical VS minutes played and it's a new team and system.

Overall that is probably a huge positive as I can imagine that the situation surrounding him is as probably as bad as it is ever going to be on the Jazz. If we keep him he is only going to better fit his role and become more familiar with an improving team. Mike Conley took months to adjust and to start hitting his normal stats.