What's new

How come Shelvin Mack or Jeff Withey can't get hurt?

TheGobertReport

How come it's always guys like Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Hill, Burks and not bums like Mack or Withey that get hurt? The Jazz are cursed. At what point do the Jazz bring Marcus Paige up to the NBA and just cut Mack? There's enough talent around the world and enough on the Jazz roster that Quin doesn't need a scrub point guard who's familiar with him from their days together in Atlanta. Withey must have incriminating info on DL or Quin. That's the only logical explanation he is in the NBA.

different take: the talent level isn't that different between say favors and withey, but favors is overextending himself to be more athletic and faster, basically he is pushing himself harder, and as such he is injuring himself more. same for all of the others.

(runs for cover from internet backlash)

Diaw has been hurt...Not sure why Withey was included, as he has been decent. Diaw and Mack are the ones Quin has an issue with overuse.

How come it's always guys like Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Hill, Burks and not bums like Mack or Withey that get hurt? The Jazz are cursed. At what point do the Jazz bring Marcus Paige up to the NBA and just cut Mack? There's enough talent around the world and enough on the Jazz roster that Quin doesn't need a scrub point guard who's familiar with him from their days together in Atlanta. Withey must have incriminating info on DL or Quin. That's the only logical explanation he is in the NBA.

NeNe was signed in the offseason for $2.8M - averaging 15/7/2 per36 on 60% shooting - makes the Diaw signing sting a bit

OK so we're 2-4 with Exum starting (playing the most minutes) and 1-1 with Mack starting (playing the most minutes) and 4-3 with Hill starting and Mack being primary back-up point. The guy comes in from nowhere last season for a second rounder and turns the season around for us barely missing the playoffs https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/3/30/11323824/shelvin-mack-utah-jazz-point-guard. So how in the ell does he get lumped in with Withey who's never done anything significant for the Jazz as a "bum"? I look at Mack's stats and he has some good games and some bad like anybody else on the team. Against the Rockets he had the highest plus minus on the squad at +12. We don't win some big games (like in SA) without his performance. If Exum, Lyles, Hood and Hayward were judged by the same rubric as Mack is on this board they'd all be bums.

The thing I don't like about Mack is that he doesn't matter as a person. If he had more upside, believe you me, his crotch would know my nose. Because upside is what makes a player's jock smell like roses and lavender.

OK so we're 2-4 with Exum starting (playing the most minutes) and 1-1 with Mack starting (playing the most minutes) and 4-3 with Hill starting and Mack being primary back-up point. The guy comes in from nowhere last season for a second rounder and turns the season around for us barely missing the playoffs https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/3/30/11323824/shelvin-mack-utah-jazz-point-guard. So how in the ell does he get lumped in with Withey who's never done anything significant for the Jazz as a "bum"? I look at Mack's stats and he has some good games and some bad like anybody else on the team. Against the Rockets he had the highest plus minus on the squad at +12. We don't win some big games (like in SA) without his performance. If Exum, Lyles, Hood and Hayward were judged by the same rubric as Mack is on this board they'd all be bums.

Did he help us win last season? In the 28 games he played with us we were 13-15. Without Mack we were 27-27. They had Derrick Favors back and Rudy Gobert back during that time. The other times we had those two healthy without Mack we won a lot more games 16-27. There are other factors such as Hayward and Favors being gimpy but I dont think Mack helped us that much.

Diaw has been hurt...Not sure why Withey was included, as he has been decent. Diaw and Mack are the ones Quin has an issue with overuse.

I think you guys might be over-analyzing this. When i read the OP i thought he was basically saying "why cant withey, mack, diaw, jingles, etc get hurt instead of hayward, favors, burks, hill, etc?"

Did he help us win last season? In the 28 games he played with us we were 13-15. Without Mack we were 27-27. They had Derrick Favors back and Rudy Gobert back during that time. The other times we had those two healthy without Mack we won a lot more games 16-27. There are other factors such as Hayward and Favors being gimpy but I dont think Mack helped us that much.

Stretch run, bigger games better teams, by most all accounts he was an upgrade to either Neto or Burke (see SBNation link above).

I think you guys might be over-analyzing this. When i read the OP i thought he was basically saying "why cant withey, mack, diaw, jingles, etc get hurt instead of hayward, favors, burks, hill, etc?"

You're right, this is mostly just a spoof thread and I know that, but there's the bum reference. My position is that no other player has done so much for so little and still can't escape the scapegoat tag this guy has.

Stretch run, bigger games better teams, by most all accounts he was an upgrade to either Neto or Burke (see SBNation link above).

I did. I think he was a downgrade from Neto. A lot of those games we lost during that stretch were against teams that were not positioning for anything that the year before we easily won with Exum at PG. I am not convinced he helped us win.

You're right, this is mostly just a spoof thread and I know that, but there's the bum reference. My position is that no other player has done so much for so little and still can't escape the scapegoat tag this guy has.

Fair point.