What's new

How committed to SLC is Ryan Smith?

Sean

I think less committed than the Millers ever were.

I'm not saying he's gonna relocate the team to Vegas but at this point, as a financial investment, does this team make more in Vegas than Utah? Probably.

He also doesn't have investments locally that would be hurt significantly by blowback from local fans if he were to relocate the team (unlike the Millers and their dealership back when they owned the Jazz).

I guess there's the Bees and the arena, but he could sell both I'm sure.

I don't know. It seems unfathomable for the Jazz to not be located in Utah but who knows what Smith's local buy-in is?

I'm not saying he's gonna relocate the team to Vegas but at this point, as a financial investment, does this team make more in Vegas than Utah? Probably.

He also doesn't have investments locally that would be hurt significantly by blowback from local fans if he were to relocate the team (unlike the Millers and their dealership back when they owned the Jazz).

I don't know. It seems unfathomable for the Jazz to not be located in Utah but who knows what Smith's local buy-in is?
Its not completely up to him. Even if he wanted it he would have to push so damn hard to get it through the NBA. This is a great market with great support... the NBA likely expands into Vegas/Seattle soon. They won't want to trade in a good market for a market they want to get into. Under Greg Miller's penny pinching regime the Jazz were as profitable as the Celtics. If he needs to make more money it would be wise for him to cut salary and just keep the team in Utah. I think he is as committed to Utah as any potential new owner could be.

Also, while this seems like I am pro-Ryan... I am not. I am not thrilled with him right now.

I worry the NBA is fine leaving the market and the constant perception headaches that have come with it if it means they get a team in Vegas.

Granted, there was a huge push to keep the Kings in Sacramento and this would be a unique situation where the team isn't necessarily relocating because they don't have a state of the art arena and can't get one built (as was the case for Seattle and the Kings, unsuccessfully).

But who knows?

I think the bigger threat to the team moving is Ryan selling to some outsiders and them moving the team. He does live here and seems to like it... not sure he wants to be a villain to make a few extra bucks (which I am not sure he would).

I think Ryan does not want to live anywhere else and he wants his hobby/ego project to be near him. So I have zero fear the team would move.

I would take both. Half of home games in Utah. Half in Vegas. And I would rename the team to the Jazz.

It would make the team more popular and players would love it.

The NBA does not appear to love Utah politically. But there’s probably too well established a history with fan support to move the team over it.

Ryan Smith can still live in Salt Lake and have his team play in Vegas. It's an hour and 30 minute flight? Not significant. And I think his wife is from Vegas.

I also think he's a businessman first and I've got to think he makes more money in a market like Vegas than SLC, with likely a far higher ceiling for success.

So it does come down to whether he's okay with Utah having a hard ceiling as a franchise due to their location or if he wants to possibly own a lucrative and successful NBA team in a hot market that could draw top talent?

I don't know. I do feel it's unlikely he moves the team but I feel less sold on that feeling than I did with the Millers, who were content for years and years with the limitations of owning a team in arguably the toughest professional sports market.

Ryan Smith can still live in Salt Lake and have his team play in Vegas. It's an hour and 30 minute flight? Not significant. And I think his wife is from Vegas.

I also think he's a businessman first and I've got to think he makes more money in a market like Vegas than SLC, with likely a far higher ceiling for success.

So it does come down to whether he's okay with Utah having a hard ceiling as a franchise due to their location or if he wants to possibly own a lucrative and successful NBA team in a hot market that could draw top talent?

I don't know. I do feel it's unlikely he moves the team but I feel less sold on that feeling than I did with the Millers, who were content for years and years with the limitations of owning a team in arguably the toughest professional sports market.
Vegas would draw top talent?

The Jazz are a guaranteed cash cow if you arent dumping crazy amount into LT. There is no proof Vegas would support a basketball team with sellout crowds and dedicated fans. Just own the team for another decade and sell for an insane profit margin. That's where the money is for NBA owners, not the money you make off ticket sales, but the money you can make on a sale.

The biggest thing Smith has to deal with is the hit to his ego.

I don't think there's much concern about Ryan Smith moving the team, it's more about who Ryan Smith would potentially sell the team to. NBA franchises are skyrocketing in valuation. More billionaires and mass wealth than ever, but professional sports teams are still scarce opportunities. He will make a **** ton of money by selling, and that opportunity will always be there for him.

The Jazz are a guaranteed cash cow if you arent dumping crazy amount into LT. There is no proof Vegas would support a basketball team with sellout crowds and dedicated fans. Just own the team for another decade and sell for an insane profit margin. That's where the money is for NBA owners, not the money you make off ticket sales, but the money you can make on a sale.

Being a villain in your home town isn’t worth a few hypothetical millions… as mentioned it might even be bad business…

Also- why the hell do we do this… we immediately think the team is leaving. There are like 10 other teams that could/should relocate instead of the Jazz.

It’s just so weird.

lol are you making this post from 2005?

Vegas has insane growth, a growing sports community that has now backed two pro franchises. I think there's ample evidence Vegas would draw as well as Utah, especially if they're contending. That doesn't even get into the corporate sponsors, especially now that the NBA has opened itself up to gambling sponsors. In fact, one of the biggest knocks against Salt Lake, and one reason the city is unlikely to ever get a NFL team (at least any time soon) is due to its lack of corporate money. It's got the least amount of Fortune 500 companies of any NBA city (zero). Vegas has 4 on top of all the other gambling dollars that could be a boon financially that Utah can't really offer.

As for the Jazz value? They ranked 18th in 2020. Not awful but not great - especially for a team that consistently wins.

I doubt they'd do worse in Vegas and on top of all that, as I mentioned, they'd likely have a higher ceiling than anything they'd see in Utah.

lol are you making this post from 2005?

Vegas has insane growth, a growing sports community that has now backed two pro franchises. I think there's ample evidence Vegas would draw as well as Utah, especially if they're contending. That doesn't even get into the corporate sponsors, especially now that the NBA has opened itself up to gambling sponsors. In fact, one of the biggest knocks against Salt Lake, and one reason the city is unlikely to ever get a NFL team (at least any time soon) is due to its lack of corporate money. It's got the least amount of Fortune 500 companies of any NBA city (zero). Vegas has 4 on top of all the other gambling dollars that could be a boon financially that Utah can't really offer.

As for the Jazz value? They ranked 18th in 2020. Not awful but not great - especially for a team that consistently wins.

I doubt they'd do worse in Vegas and on top of all that, as I mentioned, they'd likely have a higher ceiling than anything they'd see in Utah.
Maybe I am behind on the times in that regard. I did just look up the attendance for their NHL and WNBA teams and they are both in the top 10 of their leagues.

Sorry, the Las Vegas Jazz would probably be the nail in the coffin of my Jazz membership.

The Jazz are special because it's Utah, our only pro franchise. Without it... it's just a name.

Slim to none he would move them.

Last edited:
I worry the NBA is fine leaving the market and the constant perception headaches that have come with it if it means they get a team in Vegas.

Granted, there was a huge push to keep the Kings in Sacramento and this would be a unique situation where the team isn't necessarily relocating because they don't have a state of the art arena and can't get one built (as was the case for Seattle and the Kings, unsuccessfully).

But who knows?
Lol. Adam Silver is much more reasonable than Twitter Sean. Stern (and Silver) are actually pretty pro-this market. For instance, the hubbub over the legislature. The AS is not getting moved.