What's new

How do buyouts work now? Will Beans, Jefferson and Rush actually ever come to Utah?

acj1971

With the new CBA structure, how quickly can the Jazz buyout any of these players? Do they have to be on the 2013-2014 roster / How many of them will actually end up in Utah? What do buyouts typically look like?

You want the Jazz to buyout Brandon Rush?
Jefferdad, Richard?

But, but... We already enlisted, and have to jump on the tank!1

What's the point of buying them out? Jazz need to fill roster spots. No sense in paying guys not to be here unless they're a drain on team chemistry.

Why do we want to buy them out, tho?

Because Corbin thinks Jefferson brings the veteran experience to lead this young team. He starts day 1. Great for tanking, but not so great for development.

Forget buyouts. These guys, except maybe for Rush, are trade materials (expiring contracts) this Feb. Hopefully in exchange only for draft picks and good players with not so problematic contracts.

Because Corbin thinks Jefferson brings the veteran experience to lead this young team. He starts day 1. Great for tanking, but not so great for development.

Well, as long as he doesn't take minutes away from Burke, Favors, or Kantah I ain't even trippin.
Gives us somebody strong off the bench. Whether its Burks or Haywerd.

Don't really need to buy them out. Sure, they aren't superstars, but they do qualify as veteran players who can fill in for injured players. Don't believe me? Look up Tom Gugliotta

Well, as long as he doesn't take minutes away from Burke, Favors, or Kantah I ain't even trippin.
Gives us somebody strong off the bench. Whether its Burks or Haywerd.

He's not coming off the bench. And yes he takes minutes from Burks, Hayward and Kanter. Less so Lanter but when Williams comes back he'll need his, and they certainly won't be coming from Jefferson -- Corbin will push Marvin to 4 or just continue to decrease Hayward's minutes.

Another season of Corbin "holding together a lockerroom full of free agents." Not hating on the trade, just observing some unfortunate, unintended consequences from our coach.