What's new

How do you "box out" an airball?.....or...

carolinajazz

...is an airball really a "steal" not a rebound? In last nights game Jason Richardson had Artest boxed out on the side of the basket Artest was on. Kobe, the pathetic puke, forces up an airball with two guys draped all over him. The ball is 2 feet short of the rim....shortsided. Artest somehow sneaks in there grabs the ball and flips it in for the win. Everybody is saying the Sun's didn't "box" out. How do you box out an airball? Even though Kobe was being double teamed....the Sun guy on the shortside boxing out would never have known it was going to be an airball if he was boxing his man out properly! He would have his back to Kobe and his eyes on the rim with his body in contact with his man. It was just one of those things and I frankly can't tell if anyone on the Suns was really to blame for this one! Now, is an airball captured by the opposing team a rebound or a steal? Seems to me it would be more like a steal....since it never hits the backboard or rim....it can't really be a rebound can it? If a player heaves a shot from half court and is short say by 10 feet....an opposing player catches the shot....is that not a steal as opposed to a rebound? In it's purist form, a rebound HAS to hit the rim or backboard...to be a rebound, doesn't it?

If the airball's a shot directed at the basket, it's a rebound. Ball possession after a missed shot.

If the airball is the result of a fumble, it's a steal.

Not easy?

If the airball's a shot directed at the basket, it's a rebound. Ball possession after a missed shot.

If the airball is the result of a fumble, it's a steal.

Not easy?

....so what do you mean an "airball as a result of a fumble".....and who determines that? Here's another issue that aggrivates me! On 3 point shots rebounds in more than half the cases bounce long, way back from even the best boxing out rebounders! So grabbing those long rebounds is more of being in the right place at the right time! Just how far back can you box your man out?

Do you ever confuse a shot with a fumble? If you do, well... This conversation will be worthless.

About the 3-pt.er: I'm sure statspeople leave those rebounds out when filling their sheets, since the 3 pt.er is a hopper shot.

Seriously, what are you on?

Head-explodes-big-761159.jpg

so much anger, take some ibuprofen and grab a beer it'll take some of that pain away. The tear in your butt will heal up eventually.

...your boy was good last night, very good. In between a couple more air balls, he was as deadly as ever. Let's see what he can do against the mighty Celtics.

I can't wait to see how many other 8-year-old threads get resurrected this summer.

I can't wait to see how many other 8-year-old threads get resurrected this summer.
I never understood the attitude against the old threads getting resurrected by a necromancer account. I mean what difference does it make really ? Live on...