What's new

How is Exum looking?

UGLI baby

I have not watched any preseason games, and do not want to go through threads.

What's the consensus on Exum?

Reactions: ema
He's had flashes but he's struggled mostly. He's obviously got some major growing pains to go through but I like his skillset and vision.

He's had flashes but he's struggled mostly. He's obviously got some major growing pains to go through but I like his skillset and vision.

Yup - much like Enes' first couple years we should have zero expectations of Exum. Anything positive he provides is gravy. He's got to get stronger physically and continue to polish his perimeter skills. He will be fine.

He looked stellar in the game when he 13 points and 6 assists. Everyone was drooling. He has also had some duds, but I think we expected the good and the bad so I am still as amped about him as I was on draft night.

hook-line-sinker.gif

amazing first step truly elite
great court vision
has decent defensive instincts
competes well

handle is loose
jumper inconsistent
no mid range game
not a great athlete

amazing first step truly elite
great court vision
has decent defensive instincts
competes well

handle is loose
jumper inconsistent
no mid range game
not a great athlete

Agree with most, but not with the bolded one. The problem is that most of the time he's too timid to show the good athleticism he has. During the SL he went to the rim trying to dunk several times and was met by hard fouls by the big bodies inside. I think this is giving him pause. If we divide athleticism in two categories - horizontal and vertical, I'd say he passes the horizontal with flying colors. He's not vertically explosive but he more than makes up for it with his size and length. He might not jump as high as the elite-jumpers at the position (PGs), but what matters more is how high he can reach with his average-ish jump.

For example, from all recorded draft classes at draft express he has the third highest no step vertical reach for a PG, behind Iman Shumpert(who is currently listed as SG/SF) and Brandon Roy(who ended up being a SG). In other words, currently Exum has the highest recorded no-step vertical reach of all PGs in the league.
His step vertical reach is elite as well... The only PGs with higher step vertical reach currently in the league are MCW, Derrick Rose and John Wall. His SVR is just 1 inch under Derrick Rose(that's Rose prior to his injuries).
His standing reach is second only to Shaun Livingston.
His wingspan is second only behind Shaun Livingston.

Those are all elite measurements for a PG and bridge the gap between him and the elite leapers to a considerable extent in the vertical game.

You can see this best in the defensive play, where he blocked several jump shot by running toward and jumping at the player who was shooting. Right now we haven't really seen it in offense. That's due to the second point I disagree with you about(competes well). I don't think he competes well right now. He seems timid and scared on the floor. He seems like he lacks confidence, he's scared to attack the rim and is way too quick to give up the ball in offense, way too quick to pick up the dribble. It feels like he's running away from responsibility. He's intimidated by the physicality of NBA players. Quin even said that the physicality of Phoenix' PGs made him to not play him in the second half because he's not used to it.

At this point I am not sure if all this is due to mental lapses or due to physical weaknesses(or maybe both), but for the most part he doesn't look like he can compete with even the reserves of the opposing teams. I sure as hell hope he realizes that if he doesn't pick up the level, he won't be seeing much playing time. I doubt Quin will be willing to play him for more than 10-15 mins if he keeps the level of play right now.

He isn't a great athlete man. He has a good first-step, but that is about it as far as above average NBA athleticism is concerned.

Measurements don't mean jack if you don't do it in the game. Luke Babbit had a 40 inch vertical, which is probably top 5% in the NBA, don't try to tell me he is a top 5% NBA athlete.

He isn't a great athlete man. He has a good first-step, but that is about it as far as above average NBA athleticism is concerned.

Measurements don't mean jack if you don't do it in the game. Luke Babbit had a 40 inch vertical, which is probably top 5% in the NBA, don't try to tell me he is a top 5% NBA athlete.

You might be right, that's a thing that bothers me. He might actually be better athlete without the ball, which wouldn't fare well in the league... I guess we'll see soon enough... I want to see him get an NBA body. I think Alec Burks is a good comparison for what I want him to look like in a couple of years time. They had similar bodies at the time of the draft:

Alec Burks: Dante Exum
Height w/ shoes: 6'6'' vs 6'6''
Weight: 193 lbs:196 lbs
Wingspan: 6'10'' vs 6'9.5''
Standing reach: 8'7.5'' vs 8'7''

Right now Alec is 211lbs and his body looks great on his 6'6'' frame. If Dante can fill up and mature the same way I hope this will help him more confident attacking the basket.

I think the athleticism is there; it seems more like Exum doesn't know what to do with it.

I think the athleticism is there; it seems more like Exum doesn't know what to do with it.

Yeah, but if you never figure out what to do with it, it doesn't mean ****.

Exum is more fluid/smooth than he is explosive. Like it or not, athleticism is (generally) heavily measured in how explosive you are.

We will see what he can do when he adds more muscle and stability to his body.

I think he'll figure out what to do with it eventually. Just not any time soon.

He can be explosive off the dribble, although he doesn't demonstrate it as much. He doesn't seem to have much explosiveness vertically, for sure. It's hard to tell how he'll be once he bulks up, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect his explosiveness to be a strength down the road.

gotta work on that vert. that few more inches off the ground will help him alot. ferocious dunk instead of a difficult layup.

jump-shoes.jpg

Thanks doodz.

Lets keep this thread going all year.

Kinda maybe the only thing I care about, unless I order League Pass. Then I'll be watching every game.