What's new

How refs pull LAL and sink UTA with stats

zbone

Contributor
Everyone seen the videos recently posted by other teams as to how refs blow at LAL games.
Now I decided to run some numbers. I took FTA and FTA/op over the last 11 games by Utah and Lakers and here is the result:

Over the first 69 games of the season
LAL: 27.4
LAL op: 19.6

UTA: 23.9
UTA op: 24

Over the last 11 games:
LAL: 30.2 (+2.8)
LAL op: 17.9 (-1.7)

UTA: 16.5 (-7.4)
UTA op: 23.3 (-0.7)

So the trend is quite obvious. LAL get 4.5 FTA more in the last 11 games than they used to and the Jazz get almost 7 FTA less.
For clear scientific analysis it would be nice to run the numbers for the whole league to analyse league wide trends but I am too lazy to do that.

Discuss.

I'm super surprised by this, because I was told that over a long enough span of time, every team will have the same amount of free throws as other teams. Everything is fair. And there are no bias for superstar or high-profile teams.

No surprise here for me at all. LA is second largest market in NBA. Obviously NBA's best interest is to have them in playoffs at least for one round compared to Jazz. I ref basketball and soccer. Was speaking once with FIBA level referee and he told me that it is very easy for experienced ref to make a difference of about 10 pts in one game and it could be barely noticed. Lose ball foul here or there, traveling, 3 seconds, charge - most of those calls can be judgement call and nobody can blame ref for being biased. Reviews in last 2 minutes made it difficult to screw teams on out of bounds plays and 2 vs 3 pt shot and game ending shots but there is still lots of wide open areas for refs to do their tricks.
Now do we have a clear evidence that NBA ordered refs to make that "10 point difference" vs Jazz and for Lakers? I do not think so. If that would be proven it could be bigger scandal then L.Armstrong doping.
At the end of the day had Corbin played right players for just a couple games nobody would be even discussing this.

It´s fun to see how the Spurs even avoid to look at Steve Blake, because they now he will get freethrows.

Everyone seen the videos recently posted by other teams as to how refs blow at LAL games.
Now I decided to run some numbers. I took FTA and FTA/op over the last 11 games by Utah and Lakers and here is the result:

Over the first 69 games of the season
LAL: 27.4
LAL op: 19.6

UTA: 23.9
UTA op: 24

Over the last 11 games:
LAL: 30.2 (+2.8)
LAL op: 17.9 (-1.7)

UTA: 16.5 (-7.4)
UTA op: 23.3 (-0.7)

So the trend is quite obvious. LAL get 4.5 FTA more in the last 11 games than they used to and the Jazz get almost 7 FTA less.
For clear scientific analysis it would be nice to run the numbers for the whole league to analyse league wide trends but I am too lazy to do that.

Discuss.

kinda late:
https://www.blazersedge.com/2013/4/13/4219640/Los-Angeles-Lakers-playoffs-refs-referee-free-throws-officiating-conspiracy-nba
some more numbers

Game has been pretty fairly called thus far. I predict they will do enough to keep LAL in the game without making it obvious, then pull some BS calls at the end if need be.

It's been a fairly officiated game - Steve Blake is just on fire and the Spurs are playing like garbage. They're lucky to be tied.

It's pissing me off that the Spurs aren't boxing out and aren't making wide open jumpshots. You know, the exact opposite of what they consistently do whenever they play the Jazz.