What's new

How to fix the bench

NAOS

Our bench is getting drilled lately. Getting Hood back from injury isn't going to fix it. Is it just our personnel, plain and simple, or is there a way around these shellackings that I'm not seeing?

1277488198359.jpg

^^
^^
lol

I was thinking that maybe quin is trying to fix the bench by leaving alec on the court with them after all the starters have left the game (kind of another way of making him a sixth man providing scoring with the bench...... though it has not really worked) and then bring hayward in with them right as alec is going to the bench. Essentially having burks or hayward with the bench players at all times

So far it has not worked out great but i like the outside the box thinking and i think that its still too early in the year to say that it wont work.
I hope he continues to try this approach for a while longer

Hood will help. Some of Gobert's minutes should probably go to Favors, Booker and Kanter.

Hood is nice, but I don't think he makes enough of a difference. I would move Burks and Kanter to second unit, and replace them with Booker and Hood. Maybe?

It is what it is.

Yep. One thing at a time.
I do think Alec's future might be as a sixth man. Jazz could find a starting SG or SF this summer (since Hayward can play either position) and move Alec to the bench. I like Booker where he is; he's not a starter in this league. Kanter either improves or the Jazz find another PF and don't even offer him the QO.

The last thing we need to do is start signing more washed up vets to fill the bench. If so many people are so high on Exum, let him start anchoring the Bench first. I think we need to just be patient while we develop the personnel that we have.

According to Nylon Calculus Rudy Gobert is currently the best rim protector in the NBA. He's contesting 73% of shots around the rim and is saving around 3.56 points per 36 mins at the rim. Following him are Asik, Hibbert and Gasol. I really wish he would improve his handling of the ball in offense... so he can actually be better coming off the bench.

Hood should help as well...

I actually don't think we need massive improvements on the bench until we are ready to contend(fight for playoff spot). Until then, maybe a better use of the bench minutes is to develop the current young players we have(Exum, Hood, Gobert, whoever we pick in the next draft).

Last edited:
1. increase hayward's minute. hayward is playing 35.5 min. that's not enough. just look at all the all star wing player's 4th year minutes. MJ, kobe, bron, melo, tmac, etc, etc. all played 38+ min. many of them played 40 min. let's treat hayward like our star. increase his minutes to 38 min. that sounds like not big of a deal, but that 2-3 min he plays keep other teams from going on a run.

2. new line up

trey
exum
hayward
favors
gobert

ok, i know exum isn't ready and this is little too experimental, but i really want to see this lineup. exum and gobert have good chemistry, and trey would settle everyone down. and let hayward/favors take over the game early and often. and let burks run the 2nd unit with kanter.

but IMO, hayward playing with 2nd unit needs to happen more. give him 39 min. he can handle it.

The last thing we need to do is start signing more washed up vets to fill the bench. If so many people are so high on Exum, let him start anchoring the Bench first. I think we need to just be patient while we develop the personnel that we have.
Yes, I agree.
The way I see it is the Jazz are two deep at every position. What really needs to happen is the Jazz have to combine assets to improve their starters. And then those starters, if they aren't part of the deal get bumped to the bench. The other part of the equation is youth. Guys like Exum, Gobert and Hood just need more experience.

I'm actually ok with the roles right now. The only change I'd make is to give Dante 20+ and cut Trey back a bit.

According to Nylon Calculus Rudy Gobert is currently the best rim protector in the NBA. He's contesting 73% of shots around the rim and is saving around 3.56 points per 36 mins at the rim. Following him are Asik, Hibbert and Gasol. I really wish he would improve his handling of the ball in offense... so he can actually be better coming off the bench.

Contesting does not equal "best" rim protection!

Opponents are shooting 47.7% when he contests those shots. Hibbert, Asik, RoLo and Howard are the guys you might wanna look @. Opponents are shooting between 36 and 42% against them. This is elite rim protection.

But Rudyy certainly has all the the tools to get their.

Opponents are shooting 47.7% when he contests those shots. Hibbert, Asik, RoLo and Howard are the guys you might wanna look @. Opponents are shooting between 36 and 42% against them. This is elite rim protection.

The "best" is attached to the points saved per 36 mins not to the % of contests. The shots Hibbert, Asik, etc contest might fall with less regularity, but they also don't contest as many shots(i.e. they are not in good position to contest as frequently as Rudy). Now there are lots of other factors(for example how the team defensive system uses those players and how they fit within the team defense of the rim), but purely statistically(by this specific metric they use) Rudy is on the top so far.

Get their what?

I'm a huge fan of Gobert, obviously, but even I recognize he has a ways to go. Last season he played in half the games and looked lost in many of them. This year he's clearly a rotational player and is making some plays and getting schooled on others. His progression is just fine for a 22-yr old playing in his 2nd season.

Fixing rebounding is a bigger issue. JHC I'm sick of our team rebounding like children. Booker has been disappointing. Don't even get me started on Favors and Kanter.