What's new

How to fix the bench

Fixing rebounding is a bigger issue. JHC I'm sick of our team rebounding like children. Booker has been disappointing. Don't even get me started on Favors and Kanter.

These kids are soft as ***....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqP-sifw0cc

These kids are soft as ***....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqP-sifw0cc

This guy, Cakar...
Ok I give in, I love Big Al, his post-up offense is beautiful to watch, artistic... I look back now and see... Too bad the rest of the team couldn't cover for his defensive deficiencies. But I'll give you this, if his D was as good as his O, HOF. He's something special.

This guy, Cakar...
Ok I give in, I love Big Al, his post-up offense is beautiful to watch, artistic... I look back now and see... Too bad the rest of the team couldn't cover for his defensive deficiencies. But I'll give you this, if his D was as good as his O, HOF. He's something special.

I still remember lots of Jazzfans claiming that Big-AL was the reason for Utah playing bad defense. Al Jefferson moved to Charlotte and was part of a Top 5 defensive team and took them to the playoffs...

Hawks 2012/2013 = 54 % Wins
Hakws With Millsap 2013/2014 = 46 % Wins

Bobcats 2012/2013 = 25 % Wins
Bobcats with BIG-AL = 53 % Wins ( TOP 5 D-Team)

Utah Jazz 2012/2013 = 53 % Wins
Utah Jazz without Big-AL = 30 % Wins (29th Defensively)

This guy is putting Al Star numbers for years and startet with it at age 23. He always was the main player, doing something positive for crappy teams and carrying them on his back. But he always was blamed for other players, just not producing on the court...

It´s hard watching Jazz games without AL-fense, after you have accustomed with it. Al playing in the post, was a beauty to watch. But Iam happy now for AL Jefferson getting credit from his Fans in Charlotte he was deserving for years...

Al was not the best defender back in days, playing for the Jazz. But Millsap, Hayward, Mo, Kanter and others were playing crappy Defense, too. Especially Millsap, dude is like Booker defensively. Undersized dude, with lots of fake hustle, but getting his *** swepped on defense night in and night out.

Maybe Al was not a good defender, but he had the burden, to take blame for every other player playing worse. He just gave a ****, took his shots and was winning games...

Last edited:
When the Jazz Acquired Al Jefferson originally, it shocked a lot of teams that we were able to grab him. It showed a stint of intelligence in the Utah Jazz organization. Similar to when the Lakers put together the trade to acquire Gasol. When the Jazz allowed Jefferson to walk it showed everyone that the Jazz have no interest in winning a title. It was stupid not to mention they settled for much less and basically let it be known that they are ok with not being a contender.

Fixing the bench = skipping steps. This team needs to lose for 1 more year.

Can you be a little more specific? Do you mean, that the wait and see approach is more efficient because some of these kids are still unknown quantities? If so, that makes sense.

Honestly, I don't think Quin cares about fixing the bench right now. He will probably push the guys in practice this week, and get them real tired, losing more games, and developing the talent level of the team. We could put Kanter on the bench and have him play like 30 minutes a game with him being the first guy off the bench, but it seems like Quin is stressing doing things the right way, and Kanter is not getting minutes because of that.

Exum could also start, and have Burke lead the second unit. That would probably help the bench, and not really hurt the starting unit.

Contesting does not equal "best" rim protection!

Opponents are shooting 47.7% when he contests those shots. Hibbert, Asik, RoLo and Howard are the guys you might wanna look @. Opponents are shooting between 36 and 42% against them. This is elite rim protection.

But Rudyy certainly has all the the tools to get there.

He is getting there and he is getting there fast. Right now opponents are shooting just 44% on 5.6 attempts in just 15.8 minutes. Now we are getting closer to call him "elite". He really starts to scare me.

The teams DRtg when he is on the floor is @104.2; In the last 5 games(80 min)? 95.7! This would give us the 4th best defense in the league.

Can you imagine how good our defense can be with Dante and Rudy in a couple of years? Scary

Fixing the bench = skipping steps. This team needs to lose for 1 more year.

This. The Jazz can pick up players like Marvin Williams, Mo Williams, Demarre Carroll, Kyle Korver, Randy Foye, etc. when they're ready to rebuild their bench. Right now, it's about getting a starting rotation in place.

He is getting there and he is getting there fast. Right now opponents are shooting just 44% on 5.6 attempts in just 15.8 minutes. Now we are getting closer to call him "elite". He really starts to scare me.

The teams DRtg when he is on the floor is @104.2; In the last 5 games(80 min)? 95.7! This would give us the 4th best defense in the league.

Can you imagine how good our defense can be with Dante and Rudy in a couple of years? Scary

Dante has the tools to be a great defender, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The thought of him guarding smaller PG's through screens still worries me. PG defense is mostly about being able to fight through screens.

The key to the defense is Favors continuing to expand his range so he can play with Gobert. Also Gobert needs to learn how to hold onto the ball so he can finish opportunities and play more minutes.

This. The Jazz can pick up players like Marvin Williams, Mo Williams, Demarre Carroll, Kyle Korver, Randy Foye, etc. when they're ready to rebuild their bench. Right now, it's about getting a starting rotation in place.

Can we pls never get anyone like Mo Williams?

There are Kyle Korvers out there for the taking??? Um........ let's just get two or three then. Check please!

Fixing rebounding is a bigger issue. JHC I'm sick of our team rebounding like children. Booker has been disappointing. Don't even get me started on Favors and Kanter.
The Jazz are 5th in rebounding percentage so far this season. Turnovers and defense are the biggest problems.

The Jazz are 5th in rebounding percentage so far this season. Turnovers and defense are the biggest problems.

Dawg, it's been nearly 2 weeks since I posted that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Hood comes back, and the bench is still out of sorts, then Burks will probably be demoted to the bench. Which is too bad IMO-- Exum needs to flourish as bench PG this season.

look at the disparity in bench scoring between us and OKC today.

I'm a very hopeful fan of Exum and Rudy. That said, I'm sick as **** of them not looking for any shots. It's almost like they're avoiding the trigger. They gotta want more blood than that.