What's new

How to keep Don

Jazzbot

There’s enough other threads out there, seems like this should be one.

Over the next 2 or 3 offseasons the Jazz need to find ways to keep Donovan.

How do you keep Donovan and what moves do you make to make that happen. Go!

Just my opinion, I don't really think it matters what we do. I don't think he wants to stay in Utah long term and I doubt there's anything that would change his mind. I'm just going to appreciate him while we've got him and not worry about what's going to happen 3 or 4 years from now.

Be good and getting better in 2 years

On this trajectory, they will be worse and getting worse every year unless they get plain lucky and/or trade some people (which only creates the possibility of improvement, but potentially making the team even worse).

#1 thing you got to do is find out if he believes in Rudy. Does he like playing with Rudy, or does he not? Is he tired of Rudy's flopping, talking about getting touches to the media, yelling at the refs, Rudy in the lockeroom, etc.

If the Rudy and Don dynamic is unsettled like many said it might be even before the COVID drama, then we might need to pivot from Rudy while he has his most value.

Moving on from Rudy in summer 2022 is going to be harder than this summer. And it gets even harder after that.

#2 If Rudy and Don are cool, then we to get a player that Don likes. Find him a running mate for the long term. Somebody like:
Jaylen Brown (borderline impossible)
John Collins (very difficult)
Lonzo (hard but possible)
Kuzma (possible)
Ntilikina (easy get IMO)

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

He's under contract for the next 4 years....
Yes but extension eligible in 2-3 and if he doesn’t sign the extension you trade him. So we have a potential pivot coming in the near future… if that goes poorly he may want out… then we are starting over.

Yes but extension eligible in 2-3 and if he doesn’t sign the extension you trade him. So we have a potential pivot coming in the near future… if that goes poorly he may want out… then we are starting over.
Yeah, I'd rather just trade everyone 2 years from now if they dont win a ring than pivot off Rudy into a Don-focused team.

What's the Jazz's best case scenario in a post-Rudy world? Poor man's Blazers? No thanks.

Yeah, I'd rather just trade everyone 2 years from now if they dont win a ring than pivot off Rudy into a Don-focused team.

What's the Jazz's best case scenario in a post-Rudy world? Poor man's Blazers? No thanks.
I think that is the right approach probably. If you want to keep Donovan for 6-7 years you have to look at filing the pipeline for 2 years from now. This is why I really don’t anted you nail the pick last year (maybe they did?). I think it’s important for us to get a couple guys that are good and will be good or better in 3-4 years if you want to keep Donovan long term.

Realistically the chance for a drastic get younger retool was probably last year. I’m not advocating for a Rudy trade (unless it brought back a haul). I also think we should keep Mike. I just think something a little bigger should/could be done to extend the window a bit maybe. JC and Bogey would definitely be pieces I’d consider moving but the moves aren’t obvious. It’s why I’ve been throwing out deals for Roby, Williams, Jalen McDaniels, etc. to see if we can’t catch someone who is cheap, functional, and might have some ability to be something super useful.

Run it back might be the best course of action and hopefully money, trust, and legacy factor in to Donovan’s decision. Maybe we strike gold with our pick this year.

Just my opinion, I don't really think it matters what we do. I don't think he wants to stay in Utah long term and I doubt there's anything that would change his mind. I'm just going to appreciate him while we've got him and not worry about what's going to happen 3 or 4 years from now.
Could be an unfortunate reality for sure. I would hope having Wade here helps that. Tony has been pretty adamant in interviews of late that decisions made now, will impact what happens 3 or 4 years from now with Donovan. Obviously that's true, and the Jazz need to stay competitive. I think front office and changes around the organization to appease Donovan will be important. I do wonder how Donovan's legacy here looks if he leaves as soon as he gets a chance, or asks for a trade even sooner. I would like Donovan to be here around 10 years, then I think he gets the legacy here he deserves. Sooner than that, unless the Jazz win big, I'm not sure what it will look like.

Nah, if you can in some way keep Don and re-focus things around him fast enough, there's no way you let Don go without a fight, and you wouldn't be a poor mans Blzers if you could offload Rudy.

True for sure, so the next couple offseasons will be huge, if he's even open to staying I don't know.

#1 thing you got to do is find out if he believes in Rudy. Does he like playing with Rudy, or does he not? Is he tired of Rudy's flopping, talking about getting touches to the media, yelling at the refs, Rudy in the lockeroom, etc.

If the Rudy and Don dynamic is unsettled like many said it might be even before the COVID drama, then we might need to pivot from Rudy while he has his most value.

Moving on from Rudy in summer 2022 is going to be harder than this summer. And it gets even harder after that.

#2 If Rudy and Don are cool, then we to get a player that Don likes. Find him a running mate for the long term. Somebody like:
Jaylen Brown (borderline impossible)
John Collins (very difficult)
Lonzo (hard but possible)
Kuzma (possible)
Ntilikina (easy get IMO)

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Find a way to put Matisse Thybulle next to him, he’d be a fantastic compliment

Find a way to put Matisse Thybulle next to him, he’d be a fantastic compliment

I see you saying this everywhere. The Jazz hardly need another zero threat on offense like Royce and Gobert. Thybulle is a 3 and d guy. That’s it basically.

We need someone who’s well-rounded and plays both ends. Thybulle scored 3.9 ppg last year.

If he doesn't want to be here I hope he at least has the cajones to let our organization get a good chunk in return for a rebuild. If he's fine here we have to do a lot better than the complete failure that we've called the last 2 off-seasons.

I see you saying this everywhere. The Jazz hardly need another zero threat on offense like Royce and Gobert. Thybulle is a 3 and d guy. That’s it basically.

We need someone who’s well-rounded and plays both ends. Thybulle scored 3.9 ppg last year.

I’m watching him play for our national team. Dude is filling it up from 3 and making strong hard cuts & drives to the basket and finishing with authority. He’s a cut above athletically and is exactly what we need for Don. He’s ready to take a leap and is so far from a zero threat offensively. Watch him in the Olympics, he’s ready to take a serious leap, now is the time to get him somehow before he becomes widely recognised as started material