What's new

How Would You Defend the Jazz?

framer

I saw a LOT of zone out of the Blazers last night. That is a really bad decision against the Jazz, but that might be because that is all they are capable of playing at this point of the season. Jazz easily defeat that by keeping Rudy up high for the pick forcing the center to come up and defend or just turn whoever the screen was set for loose. Back when we lacked shooters, teams didn't have to respect the high screen or handoff, but now that's death. When the center comes up, Rudy just rolls and is quick enough that the baseline defenders need to help. They can either let Rudy go or collapse and leave the corner three. Jazz won't be stopped by a zone this year.

I think if I were defending, I would have my best defending wing hound Bojan full court, and when Bojan isn't in, hound Clarkson instead. Deny them the ball and try to remove both the shooting and the cog in the Voltron offense that they occupy. You could try it with Donovan, Conley, or Jingles, but I think that they have better handles and court awareness and would find the open man and make you pay.

I think, given enough time, Quinn could solve for this, but it might disrupt the Jazz scheme enough to win a matchup. A lot of teams may not even have the player needed to do this and still defend the other 4. I can just see the Jazz stubbornly trying to involve Bojan and Clarkson and losing focus on what is working.

Anyway, if the Jazz offense starts to resemble the old Houston or Golden State offenses, I don't think those were ever solved. You just have to pray that great players miss open shots. And the "give Harden a path to the Hoop" gimmick the Jazz and Bucks used would get you destroyed allowing that to Donovan.

So how would YOU stop the new Jazz offense?

The best way to defend us, I think, is to have long and savvy defenders up at the elbows, and for the big to play up (somewhat) nearer to the level of the screen. Gotta create good pinch off points in the gaps. Help defenders need to be able to help shut off the driving lane on either side of a PnR and recover to their shooter well enough. If I were the defense, I would surrender above-the-break threes (in other words, I’d clamp down harder in the gaps) until the jazz forced me to change that approach. In addition to this, I’d keep my defenders close to any corner threes.

If the Jazz counter by running the PnR consistently on the weak side (with only one shooter in the nearest corner), then I go small, switch the PnR, and have a long help defender in the opposite corner who’s ready to help on Rudy.

The best way to defend us, I think, is to have long and savvy defenders up at the elbows, and for the big to play up (somewhat) nearer to the level of the screen. Gotta create good pinch off points in the gaps. Help defenders need to be able to help shut off the driving lane on either side of a PnR and recover to their shooter well enough. If I were the defense, I would surrender above-the-break threes (in other words, I’d clamp down harder in the gaps) until the jazz forced me to change that approach. In addition to this, I’d keep my defenders close to any corner threes.

If the Jazz counter by running the PnR consistently on the weak side (with only one shooter in the nearest corner), then I go small, switch the PnR, and have a long help defender in the opposite corner who’s ready to help on Rudy.
So the teams that can pull this off with the personnel they have are the Clippers, Lakers, Heat, and Bucks. Everyone else would have to hope we miss shots or outscore us. This is somewhat similar to the standard Bucks defense, no? Don't they concede the above the break 3?

I saw a LOT of zone out of the Blazers last night. That is a really bad decision against the Jazz, but that might be because that is all they are capable of playing at this point of the season. Jazz easily defeat that by keeping Rudy up high for the pick forcing the center to come up and defend or just turn whoever the screen was set for loose. Back when we lacked shooters, teams didn't have to respect the high screen or handoff, but now that's death. When the center comes up, Rudy just rolls and is quick enough that the baseline defenders need to help. They can either let Rudy go or collapse and leave the corner three. Jazz won't be stopped by a zone this year.

I think if I were defending, I would have my best defending wing hound Bojan full court, and when Bojan isn't in, hound Clarkson instead. Deny them the ball and try to remove both the shooting and the cog in the Voltron offense that they occupy. You could try it with Donovan, Conley, or Jingles, but I think that they have better handles and court awareness and would find the open man and make you pay.

I think, given enough time, Quinn could solve for this, but it might disrupt the Jazz scheme enough to win a matchup. A lot of teams may not even have the player needed to do this and still defend the other 4. I can just see the Jazz stubbornly trying to involve Bojan and Clarkson and losing focus on what is working.

Anyway, if the Jazz offense starts to resemble the old Houston or Golden State offenses, I don't think those were ever solved. You just have to pray that great players miss open shots. And the "give Harden a path to the Hoop" gimmick the Jazz and Bucks used would get you destroyed allowing that to Donovan.

So how would YOU stop the new Jazz offense?
Bring a bazooka

Delete this

Start by gaurding Gobert with a shorter strong guy. Cut off Goberts rolls to the above the foul line like an offensive lineman defending the DE.

Gaurd the spot up shooters.
Allow Conley to drive.
Encourage Mitchell to play hero ball and hope he is off.

So the teams that can pull this off with the personnel they have are the Clippers, Lakers, Heat, and Bucks. Everyone else would have to hope we miss shots or outscore us. This is somewhat similar to the standard Bucks defense, no? Don't they concede the above the break 3?
There are definitely more teams than that. Toronto, Boston, GS, etc.

The Jazz are a very tough team to defend against because they have so many ballhandlers and shooters now. However, there are things I'd exploit.

First, I'm going to force the ball into the hands of Conley and Gobert. Conley appears far more comfortable being a pick and pop shooter than ballhandler. Force him to drive and get lost in the trees in the paint. Anytime you get Gobert handling the ball outside rather than dunking is a good thing. I'd challenge the Jazz to throw the lobs to Gobert. I don't think Conley or Mitchell consistently feel comfortable throwing lobs to our bigs. Jingles is the exception...

Second, put my best long defender on Mitchell and force him to drive. Make him expend energy to get the ball and trap him at times. Threaten to bring over a player to double/trap just to make him think. Make all Jazz players drive, especially Bojan who tends to get stripped and Conley who isn't as quick as he was 5 years ago and gets lost in the trees. Mitchell is only half immortal when he has to drive and finish inside, he's a full god out on the perimeter now. Force Royce to drive, he prefer to shoot 3s. Jingles is the guy that would worry me about driving since he's not driving to score but to get others involved.

Third, I'd strongly consider taking out my center and go with 5 wings and switch up every screen. Houston used to do this with Tucker. The point isn't to have a shot blocking threat but to have 5 players who can switch off on everything the Jazz dish out. I don't know what Portland was thinking putting Kanter out there. He and Melo both couldn't defend. The team that scares me the most is Dallas, because they have scores of athletic players who can make life hell on us while having a big who can burn Gobert from deep. If I were Dallas I'd keep Porzingas out by the 3 pt line and let Luka Magic wreck us. So if I'm a team that doesn't have a stretch 5, then I'd take my 5 out and replace him with a SF. Chances are Rudy isn't going to bully ball him on the block and now I'll be able to defend all 5 Jazz players.

Forth, I'd switch things up and go to a Box and 1 set. When Mitchell or Conley are running the P&R I'd immediately trap to try to generate a turnover. I'd switch every screen when man to man and pray that I don't have a guy like Kanter trying to chase people around.

Fifth, the Jazz's starting 5 is pretty awesome but their bench leaves some areas to exploit. Take advantage of the Niang. Try to make Clarkson inefficient. I'd normally say take away his favorite spots, but I don't know where he can't score from. Clarkson and Mitchell are almost unguardable right now. I honestly don't even know where they can't score. So maybe my strategy should be to sag off them and force everyone else to beat me?

Lastly, pray and pray hard. Sometimes Gobert doesn't catch the ball as cleanly as Favors. Sometimes Royce doesn't shoot well. Sometimes Mitchell doesn't finish well inside and doesn't get calls. Clarkson might not be the most efficient player. But in all honesty the Jazz have gotten to the point where they're unstoppable offensively. Even with some of their players having off nights they're still going to score because of the system and depth of the team. I'm not sure if there really is a silver bullet to beating the Jazz other than you having better superstar players (i. e. Lebron & AD... Maybe). Had Bojan played against Denver that series would've been over for us. I think we could've competed well against the Clippers. Give us the bubble with a healthy Favors and Bojan and last year's team could've been in the WCF. Which is where I see this team playing this year as long as we avoid injuries and Dallas.

Last edited:
Sometimes Mitchell doesn't finish well inside and doesn't get calls.

I am actually starting to think that Mitchell is getting the superstar whistle. Part of it is his notoriety, the other is that he is learning the tricks that the superstars use. He had a few last night that the Blazers announcers pointed out (in a positive way, not a whiny way like the Suns announcers would have. . .)

Probably like Houston did--switch everything on the perimeter, drop the big, be physical. Sag off Royce and Joe.

Probably like Houston did--switch everything on the perimeter, drop the big, be physical. Sag off Royce and Joe.
Jazz aren't the same team we were two years ago. Not sure that would work as well with Bojan and Conley. Also, Jazz are getting more in transition and taking first good shot. They didn't do this against Houston.

Perhaps like the Twolves just did...? High pressure on every player to keep us off the 3. Combine that with as many athletes as you can then hit every shot you chuck up...