What's new

Hypotehtical

Gyp Rosetti

Banned
Had Jerry retired at the end of last year and the Jazz hired Thibodeau as his replacement, where do you think we'd be right now?

The Bulls despite prolonged injuries to Noah and Boozer are in the #1 seed and are playing lockdown defense. Could TT gotten the same or at least similar (top 6 or 7 defense) results out of this team based on how we were constructed at the beginning of the year?

Could we have been that team that showed massive improvement, especially on the defensive end and be in say, the #3 seed right now?

Edit: Hypothetical...woops

I don't think Thibodeau would have taken the job. If I remember correctly, he had a couple of offers this past off season. Chicago was by far the most appealing...a young point guard, Noah, Deng, and tons of cap space. This was also when they still thought they had a shot at Wade and maybe Lebron.

However, putting all that aside I will say we would not have traded Deron and would be fighting OKC/Dallas for the 3 or 4.

I don't think Thibodeau would have taken the job. If I remember correctly, he had a couple of offers this past off season. Chicago was by far the most appealing...a young point guard, Noah, Deng, and tons of cap space. This was also when they still thought they had a shot at Wade and maybe Lebron.

However, putting all that aside I will say we would not have traded Deron and would be fighting OKC/Dallas for the 3 or 4.

Why? The Jazz lost 13 of the last 17 games with Deron...
Without him nearly identical 12 of 17, and a lot of that can be blamed on a new coach and chemistry issue. To be in contention for even the 4th seed we would have needed to go nearly undefeated since the trade date, is this really what you meant to say?

Had Jerry retired at the end of last year and the Jazz hired Thibodeau as his replacement, where do you think we'd be right now?

The Bulls despite prolonged injuries to Noah and Boozer are in the #1 seed and are playing lockdown defense. Could TT gotten the same or at least similar (top 6 or 7 defense) results out of this team based on how we were constructed at the beginning of the year?

Could we have been that team that showed massive improvement, especially on the defensive end and be in say, the #3 seed right now?

If I recall are defense was really good the first month of the season, and for what ever reason things went south. If players quit on Sloan, which I never thought would've happened, Thibodeau would be no different. Let's wait and see what Ty can do with a full season and training camp to implement his game plan

We do not have the talent on our roster to make nearly as much noise as Chicago. They've got a great all-around team to go with an excellent, devoted coach. Would we do better? Sure, but we wouldn't be at the top of our conference or anywhere near it. Chicago is the best team in the East right now and arguably the best team since the All-Star break. They've got a lot of talent on that team and an MVP in Rose.

If I recall are defense was really good the first month of the season, and for what ever reason things went south. If players quit on Sloan, which I never thought would've happened, Thibodeau would be no different. Let's wait and see what Ty can do with a full season and training camp to implement his game plan

So because they quit on Sloan, they'd quit on Thibedeau too? That makes sense.

The Jazz have not played consistent "really good defense" in ages. They have been weak in the middle of a number of years, and never have defended the 3 point line. And Sloan was the constant: great offense, weak D. Thibodeau could have made a huge difference.

Why? The Jazz lost 13 of the last 17 games with Deron...
Without him nearly identical 12 of 17, and a lot of that can be blamed on a new coach and chemistry issue. To be in contention for even the 4th seed we would have needed to go nearly undefeated since the trade date, is this really what you meant to say?

Why what? I agree with what you said, a lot of the losing has been a coaching change, big trade, and chemistry. I think you misunderstood my post:
I will say we would not have traded Deron and would be fighting OKC/Dallas for the 3 or 4.

Would not have...I was using a hypothetical as in IF Thibodeau was the coach then I think the Jazz would have fought for the 4/5 seed throughout the entire season. Meaning...I don't think they ever would have lost 13 of 17 with Deron AND I don't think the Jazz would have traded Deron because the season would not have been lost by the all-star break/trade deadline.

And for the record, at the midway point both OKC and the Jazz were tied at 27-13. After 40 games both the Jazz and Thunder were 27-13 - since then the Thunder 20-11 and Jazz 9-25. It didn't require a huge 15-5 run to stay in contention for the 5 seed, merely not going 9-25.

He's the Coach of the Year. In his first season. His defensive schemes are genius. And if you read any article about him, they all talk about how he works around the clock. Chicago struck gold with him. We'd be far, far better if he was the coach from day one. I absolutely believe Deron would still be here because he would have bought in.

If Jerry retired at the end of the previous season and w/out the drama and tension the 2010-11 season produced, chances are Phil Johnson would've been the head coach. And if Phil decided to leave as well, I expect Ty would've still been Jerry's replacement - as he was among the top head coaching canidates for the past two seasons.

We do not have the talent on our roster to make nearly as much noise as Chicago. They've got a great all-around team to go with an excellent, devoted coach. Would we do better? Sure, but we wouldn't be at the top of our conference or anywhere near it. Chicago is the best team in the East right now and arguably the best team since the All-Star break. They've got a lot of talent on that team and an MVP in Rose.

I disagree. How many people would imagine Chicago to be in the current situation right now in the beginning of the year?
And i dont think they have better talent than us, they just play defense, which is a mentality brought by Thibodeau, as well he did to Boston 2 yrs ago

If we compare the players one by one,

Rose may be mvp this year but noone can convince me that he is better player overall than Deron. Deron is a proven playoff player but we will see Roses flaws better in the playoffs. He is too much individual as a pg shouldnt be.

Jefferson is better than Boozer in my opinion even though i dont think he is one of the best pfs in the game.
Millsap is better than Noah
Kirilenko is also not worse than Deng overall
Memo was injured all year but if we should compare, he is better than both Gibson or Thomas
And as much as raja bell isnt good, he isnt worse than Bogans

i think only difference makers were the bench players,
while we had inconsistent miles, rookie hayward and clumsy fesenko
they had korver, brewer and omer asik(imo one of the best defenders in the league among all big man)

But generally, i dont think they have better talent than us.
And i think, as much as a symbol sloan was, lets accept his flaws and lack of flexibility in certain situations
I believe Thibodeau will be one of the best coaches in the game and he will gain at least one championship

I disagree. How many people would imagine Chicago to be in the current situation right now in the beginning of the year?
And i dont think they have better talent than us, they just play defense, which is a mentality brought by Thibodeau, as well he did to Boston 2 yrs ago

If we compare the players one by one,

Rose may be mvp this year but noone can convince me that he is better player overall than Deron. Deron is a proven playoff player but we will see Roses flaws better in the playoffs. He is too much individual as a pg shouldnt be.

Jefferson is better than Boozer in my opinion even though i dont think he is one of the best pfs in the game.
Millsap is better than Noah
Kirilenko is also not worse than Deng overall
Memo was injured all year but if we should compare, he is better than both Gibson or Thomas
And as much as raja bell isnt good, he isnt worse than Bogans

i think only difference makers were the bench players,
while we had inconsistent miles, rookie hayward and clumsy fesenko
they had korver, brewer and omer asik(imo one of the best defenders in the league among all big man)

But generally, i dont think they have better talent than us.
And i think, as much as a symbol sloan was, lets accept his flaws and lack of flexibility in certain situations
I believe Thibodeau will be one of the best coaches in the game and he will gain at least one championship

Who wants to take this one?

A better coach may have squeezed 5 more wins out of this club. You can't squeeze blood from turnips and that's all there is to it.

There's nothing like 4 or 5 miraculous come from behind wins to get fans extra excited about a group of scrubs. What fans lost sight of during that stretch is the Jazz were being dominated for 3 to 3 1/2 quarters and then hit half a dozen shots in a row combined with a set of defensive stops. Good or lucky play for 5 minutes didn't erase the 43 bad minutes prior. You can't quit on Sloan if you never started in the first place.

sorry but i didnt read the responses leading up to my post but the Millers/KOC still wouldve promoted Corbin.

Hypothetical:

Who would win in a fight between Batman & Superman?

Batman would have to win? He would just outsmart Superman amirite?

As to whether the Deron Williams trade would have happened if TT were the coach, I'm still not convinced Jerry Sloan had any say in that trade decision, and TT pro'ly would not have had any either...