What's new

Hypothetical - what documents are needed to play in NBA team?

lauriandres

Due curiosity and some small forum flamewar (why Martin Müürsepp or Kristaps Porzingis can easily get a working visa and contract and some random mexican or estonian can't):) i ask:

Can somebody tell step-by-step, what documents are needed for a non US citizen to play in Utah Jazz, assuming you are not drafted, while being young enough.

I assume it is something like that:

1. Utah Jazz says they want to sign Lauriandres from Estonia
2. I must get proper visa from the local embassy of the USA assuming that Utah Jazz has already made all the required paperwork and promised to the US Government that they hire me.
3. I should arrive to Salt Lake City and sign the contract.

Is some kind of license needed from local country of origin Basketball Association or FIBA to play in NBA?

Despite what the U.S. President says, there is basically extreme vetting in place. I imagine for an NBA player or other "VIP" they get front of the line expedited service. For most people it takes years.

There are numerous in-person interviews, fingerprinting, facial recognition scans, retina scans, scrutiny of all documentation establishing identity and history of where one has lived and worked, etc.

I'd bet if put on a fast track it can take a few weeks or less. But there's a huge backlog.

Dear Laundry,

Thank you for your inquiry. Please contact the NBA directly for more information.

GL!

Indy

The same documentation Obama provided. Nothing.

Athletes in USA get treated like senators children did in the draft. They declared war, they forced men to enlist, then they exempt there children.

Same think happens for athletes an even collage students, who are seen as the betters of the deplorables that drop out. Who needs construction workers right? Send em to war! Ball players? So much more valuable then a auto shop mechanic.