What's new

I am abandoning this team.

Jeditiger

Hoppy Goodness
Contributor
While I will continue to watch every game, and support the franchise to the end, I am abandoning any hope that this team, as currently constructed, has any potential as the playoffs or anything more than or equal to that is concerned. Tonight, for the first time in a long time, I turned off the game and did something else. I just don't think we have the talent or the the IQ to be comptetive mentally to succeed in this league. And if that means DWill leaves, then so be it. It may be time for this team to reboot.

ETA if I am wrong I will gladly eat crow.

You're not wrong. It's inevitable that the team will go on some sort of 8-2 run or something of that nature, and the uptimism will increase. But at the end of the day, it will be a veil on the mediocrity that is this team and we'll get our ****ing doors blown in in the playoffs when it matters.

Honestly, at this point, I'm hoping we suck so bad we miss the playoffs and get lucky in the lottery.
The most likely scenario will be the Jazz finishing with the 7th or 8th seed, playing the Lakers (for the millionth consecutive time) and being dispatched in 4 games. Then the vicious cycle of franchise mediocrity repeats itself...

Just sit back and enjoy the ride of being pretty good. Takes the pressure off.

Boy these Sloan teams are tough aren't they!

The team can string together two 10+ game winning streaks from now until the 'offs and I'll still have no hope for them. They are FUNDAMENTALLY flawed. No amount of self-reflection, practice, or even game strategy changes can fix this predicament. It's a hopeless situation. I feel kinda bad for Big Al Geofferson, as he was stoked about finally playing for a winner, which I guess we are compared to hapless Minny, but I'm sure he wasn't expecting this. No one was. Just overhaul this team and Gerald, even if it isn't your fault, which it prolly isn't, just step down already.

The team can string together two 10+ game winning streaks from now until the 'offs and I'll still have no hope for them. They are FUNDAMENTALLY flawed. No amount of self-reflection, practice, or even game strategy changes can fix this predicament. It's a hopeless situation. I feel kinda bad for Big Al Geofferson, as he was stoked about finally playing for a winner, which I guess we are compared to hapless Minny, but I'm sure he wasn't expecting this. No one was. Just overhaul this team and Gerald, even if it isn't your fault, which it prolly isn't, just step down already.

+1 This has been true the last few years. Even when we had some great streaks I knew we still were no match against the Lakers bigs.
We weren't even able to compete with them.

Losing Korver and Wes really hurt the team. Our weaknesses are more exposed than ever. Raja Smell is the one of the biggest problems, but
our lack of a interior C will always be the most glaring weakness.

....this is so bad, I'm going to switch over to the Orlando Magic in the East and the Spurs in the West. Here's why: I use to live in Orlando, so I got that going for me! Plus, Dwight Howard is about the only tattoo-less player in the league and I like Van Gundy as a coach! I'm going to pull for the Spurs because they play team ball, lots of assists and no real knuckleheads on their team! I'll still check in with the Jazz and you guys, but this is so bad and the prospects of any type of rebound is almost nil. Of course, if the Jazz win 5 straight....everything I just mentioned....you can throw it out of your mind!

The most likely scenario will be the Jazz finishing with the 7th or 8th seed, playing the Lakers (for the millionth consecutive time) and being dispatched in 4 games. Then the vicious cycle of franchise mediocrity repeats itself...

Its an incredibly vicious cycle where Jazz fans argue about the merits of making it to the playoffs in consecutive fashion.

C'mon. The Jazz are 27-18. There are a lot of fan bases who would gladly trade places with us. T'Wolf fans would kill for 27-18 and we are crying? C'mon everyone. This team is still 27-18! We need to keep things in perspective! Two weeks ago, they were 27-13! That's really good![/apologist]

C'mon. The Jazz are 27-18. There are a lot of fan bases who would gladly trade places with us. T'Wolf fans would kill for 27-18 and we are crying? C'mon everyone. This team is still 27-18! We need to keep things in perspective! Two weeks ago, they were 27-13! That's really good![/apologist]

YB always the voice of reason. And while I agree it is also somewhat comparable to when my company closed our facility. I was making good money and had lived a life high on the hog, but the way the company was headed I could see the writing on the wall and it wasn't long before, yep, we got shut down and all lost our jobs. We can see the Jazz on a similar slippery slope now. I sure hope they turn it around and keep the doors open, for lack of a better analogy.

If things are so bad for the Jazz, what makes the Spurs so good for so long?

I would really appreciate some of the more astute posters on this forum breaking down what separates the Spurs from the Jazz. I don't think it is all about location and no-one wanting to play in Utah, because is San Antonio really that much more appealing than Salt Lake? I've never been there - but I'll be going to SA for a conference in November. Why can other franchises like SA remain relevant for as many years as the Jazz, and still have so many championships? Because I'll tell you, as a life-long Jazz fan, I'm really starting to care little for 50-55 win seasons and feeling as though the Jazz have no shot at a championship. I know we had 96 and 97 against the Bulls, and maybe any other opponent would have put 2 championships in the rafters. You could argue that the Jazz take no big chances, but then could you say the Spurs have taken big chances with trades or free agency to win so many championships? Does it come down to one special player, and the Spurs have just gotten lucky to get 3 (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker)? Is it coaching, front office?

Is it as hopeless as it seems? I know everyone is jumping off a cliff right now, but what would everyone like to see? New coach? Major risks with trades? Selling the team and moving it to Vegas? As has been pointed out, there are plenty of very bad teams that would trade places with the Jazz record-wise (some of them have beaten the Jazz recently). Just curious as to what everyone thinks.

I think it starts at the top...from the front office all the way down to the mascot. In this instance Sloan has been given carte blanche and can do whatever he wants. That single decision effects everything else.

I truly believe if Sloan retired this team would change incredibly...for the better.

Now, don't get me wrong, I dont hate Sloan although some people would say that. When, in last nights game, the poll regarding the greatest coach to never win a championship was put up, I would vote Sloan hands down. In a heartbeat. Dude has been nothing short of brilliant in his career. He has many qualities that I want in every coach. That said, in life, time comes to pass and time passed Sloan a long time ago. The game has changed and Sloan has not. He's a dinosaur and the longer he continues to coach the more and more he loses the respect I have for him. I hope if I am ever in his situation in my life, I know when to call it quits...because, really, thats what its about. Knowing when you can no longer make a difference in the same capacity. Stepping down is difficult to be sure, but it takes guts to make that decision.