What's new

I am abandoning this team.

This Jazz team plays better when they run, but that's not Sloan's style. I'm not sure if that's what it comes down to or if the guys just don't want to run, but the Jazz would likely be more successful (this season, anyway) running a Don Nelson-style offense. They'd still lose in the playoffs, though.

Another thing the team is missing is someone to fire them up. As much as I hate to say it, Boozer did that pretty well. Sloan is not the kind of coach to do that.

Also want to say that I'm not seeing much in terms of offensive strategy. At the start of the Knicks game, Stoudemire committed a foul (on Millsap) something like 20 seconds into the game. The first thing I thought is that they should send players straight at him and see if they could get him to pick up that second foul right away. But no, the Jazz were taking jumpshots for the next six or seven plays and Millsap never got the ball...

This Jazz team plays better when they run, but that's not Sloan's style. I'm not sure if that's what it comes down to or if the guys just don't want to run, but the Jazz would likely be more successful (this season, anyway) running a Don Nelson-style offense. They'd still lose in the playoffs, though.

Another thing the team is missing is someone to fire them up. As much as I hate to say it, Boozer did that pretty well. Sloan is not the kind of coach to do that.

Boozer was great, but his best attributes were firing the team up with his "yell" defense and his "and 1" layups/outside j's. Let's not forget "grab it memo" too. epic boozer is epic.

I'm not giving up on the season but the fact is we're playing far worse than our talent. Sloan is losing control of the team, the players don't believe his schemes will work, and that's why they look like they're only running them because they have to.

Personally, I think what we're seeing is a much more deeply rooted conflict between The Coach and The Star. If that's broken, then this team won't recover. If it's not, we'll get better.

I agree. Like YB alluded to in another post, there's a deep rooted problem here.

boozer pissed me off a lot over the years, but at the end of the day I didn't want him to leave. For those who are jumping ship to root for the Magic or what ever don't come back.

People forget too easily what happened when John and Karl left management did everything possible to make us relevant we tried to get Maggette and Terry it didn't work out then with a bunch of scrubs win 41 games when the experts said this would be the worst team in NBA history. In the offseason we sign two players with a ton of moony who would make allstar appearances in the next offseason we trade up from the 6th spot to the third spot to draft D-Will in 2 short years the team was rebuilt.

This is a well run organization! How long have the Clippers the Timberwolves the warriors Knicks and others Ben rebuilding forever. I have never understood the notion on this board that they don't build to win a championship. That is ludicrous!

In the last 25 or so years we have had one rebuilding year. As far as losing Matthews I thought that he was offered more than he was worth the belief was that he was as good as he was going to get. They have to work within their means. It would be nice if the jazz could see into the future but they can't. Do you idiots think the jazz are the only team to ever let a good player go or miss on drafting a player who goes on to be great. Everyone remembers the mistakes on this board and then say this is the worst run organization ever. So go enjoy some other team if you want we will be happier with out you!!!

Honestly, at this point, I'm hoping we suck so bad we miss the playoffs and get lucky in the lottery.

Seems like the only way they can improve.

Early exits in the playoffs year after year seem to have everyone believing we should just stand pat until the title is delivered to us with bows and ribbons.

If things are so bad for the Jazz, what makes the Spurs so good for so long?

Sloan vs Pops. Sorry, it is that simple. In player selection (which in the Jazz is largely Jerry I believe, or at least selecting people they think will fit ole Jers system) and tactics and strategy, Pops >>>>>> Sloan. Sloan has/had a nice system, but it only carries a team so far, and that is not to a ring. Notice how SA always has a bunch of shooters while the Jazz have a couple? That is not by accident and it is very consistent.

And do not, DO NOT, try to tell me Tim Tony and Manu are > STockton, Malone, and Horny because they were not and are not. The added ingredient was the coach.

Seems like the only way they can improve.

Early exits in the playoffs year after year seem to have everyone believing we should just stand pat until the title is delivered to us with bows and ribbons.

Is our 1st round pick protected or something? MN has it now dont they.
m3at:
I no rite!? Letting the best 3pt shooter walk was a HUGE mistake...amirite? Seriously though, letting KK walk was a mistake, but the biggest mistake of the offseason was swapping Bell for Mathews.

You know if the salaries were the same we would have kept Matthews in a split second right. if Roy were healthy he would not have the same stats.

Is our 1st round pick protected or something? MN has it now dont they.
m3at:
I no rite!? Letting the best 3pt shooter walk was a HUGE mistake...amirite? Seriously though, letting KK walk was a mistake, but the biggest mistake of the offseason was swapping Bell for Mathews.

You know if the salaries were the same we would have kept Matthews in a split second right. if Roy were healthy he would not have the same stats.

I realize this. But it's just not Mathews. Remember when they were struggling a few years ago before the Korver acquisition? They wereplaying horrible basketball. They needed a shooter. When they acquired Korver, the team started playing better due to him being able to put the ball in the basket from long range which obviously created spacing needed for the offense to run smoothly.

Obviously AJ isn't quite acclimated to the system, but IMO, he's also playing out of position. Sap knows the system, but he's getting worked each game because of his size. He's not a starter IMO. Move AJ to the PF, put Fes in with Memo coming in from off the bench. Put Bell on the f-ing bench and start CJ. I know these are all my opinion, but it just seems like those are the Jazz' biggest weakness' besides missing someone that can actually hit a shot.

Definitely agree about Bell going to the bench. He has been a pretty good 3 point shooter in the past. just hope he can find his groove back.

I realize this. But it's just not Mathews. Remember when they were struggling a few years ago before the Korver acquisition? They wereplaying horrible basketball. They needed a shooter. When they acquired Korver, the team started playing better due to him being able to put the ball in the basket from long range which obviously created spacing needed for the offense to run smoothly.

Obviously AJ isn't quite acclimated to the system, but IMO, he's also playing out of position. Sap knows the system, but he's getting worked each game because of his size. He's not a starter IMO. Move AJ to the PF, put Fes in with Memo coming in from off the bench. Put Bell on the f-ing bench and start CJ. I know these are all my opinion, but it just seems like those are the Jazz' biggest weakness' besides missing someone that can actually hit a shot.

The team can string together two 10+ game winning streaks from now until the 'offs and I'll still have no hope for them. They are FUNDAMENTALLY flawed. No amount of self-reflection, practice, or even game strategy changes can fix this predicament. It's a hopeless situation. I feel kinda bad for Big Al Geofferson, as he was stoked about finally playing for a winner, which I guess we are compared to hapless Minny, but I'm sure he wasn't expecting this. No one was. Just overhaul this team and Gerald, even if it isn't your fault, which it prolly isn't, just step down already.

The theory that this team is fundamentally flawed or does not fit well in Jazz system is my biggest fear.