What's new

I can see it now, eh?

Hopper

Banned
Mod: I'm a homosexual

Poster: I aint.

Mod: I'm giving you an infraction for your homophobic comments. Wanna go for two?

Mod: I'm giving you an infraction for your homophobic comments. Wanna go for two?

Good luck finding a single mod who would vote for that.

fishing.jpg

Good luck finding a single mod who would vote for that.

Who knows what who would "vote for?" In my experience, rejecting the sordid propositions of a homosexual is more than sufficient to elicit the response: "Homophobe!"

You make this solemn announcement that "homophobic comments" will not be tolerated Kicky. But when asked what the definition is, or what guidelines apply to determining what a "homophobic comment" is, you delete the post and lock the thread. Typical.

It's whatever the mods say it is. Gawd help you if you don't openly advocate homosexuality on this board.

But when asked what the definition is, or what guidelines apply to determining what a "homophobic comment" is, you delete the post and lock the thread. Typical.

Actually I was deferring to a different moderator in closing the thread. If I was so personally intent on making sure it wasn't discussed at all I would have both declined to respond in this thread and closed it. Maybe even disappeared it.

The announcement is in response to a rash of slurs used on the board in recent weeks and months. In essence, it was determined by a majority of the mod staff that we wanted to moderate those slurs under our inappropriate content policies. Because we'd been letting these things go for some time, we felt it was most fair to everyone if we publicly signalled this move in advance rather than just begin applying it with no notice or warning.

Your complaint has been heard, ad nauseum and in multiple threads, that you don't believe sufficient guidance has ever been given under those policies. That is your position and we will continue to enforce the content guidelines anyway.

With respect to your specific scenario. I can say with utter confidence that no moderator would believe "I ain't" constitutes inappropriate or hateful content.

I'm with Hopper on this.

What is a homophobic comment? Where do you draw the line?

What if I say that the new uniforms are a tad gay? As in cheerful?

What if I use the term ****** in reference to a bundle of sticks?

What if I say someone is acting queer? But, I just mean they are acting abnormally?

Will the mods be limiting my vocabulary based on some undefined morality?

Are you questioning Kicky's sexuality?

By the way Kicky, did you see my team name in U Gotta's league? If you mind, I'll change it. Just thought it would be fun...stir the fantasy pot.

I'm with Hopper on this.

What is a homophobic comment? Where do you draw the line?

What if I say that the new uniforms are a tad gay? As in cheerful?

What if I use the term ****** in reference to a bundle of sticks?

What if I say someone is acting queer? But, I just mean they are acting abnormally?

Will the mods be limiting my vocabulary based on some undefined morality?

Context is everything. We are not seeking to impose morality (in fact, if you paid attention, you might realize that there is, in that area, variance from mod to mod). We are seeking to quell the use of homophobic slurs - used intentionally in a disrespectful or hateful manner.

Of course, regardless of what we do, we will have to deal with opportunistic complainers with an ax to grind.

We are seeking to quell the use of homophobic slurs - used intentionally in a disrespectful or hateful manner.

And this makes sense but when someone says, "That's so g**" you are moderating a very gray area. It is not at all obvious like calling someone a f**.

I see teh rquest as being fairly clear, with little gray area.

And this makes sense but when someone says, "That's so g**" you are moderating a very gray area. It is not at all obvious like calling someone a f**.

I've never heard a speaker say, "That's so gay" in a non-pejorative use. I see little gray area about that clause.

I see teh rquest as being fairly clear, with little gray area.

I've never heard a speaker say, "That's so gay" in a non-pejorative use.

I don't argue that but as I pointed out earlier it has become a word to describe something that is stupid or lame and in my estimation only people that are hyper-sensitive or overly PC view it as a slur against homosexuals.

So what would you suggest? Just let whatever fly? We try to be as fair as possible, and give the benefit of the doubt. We have even been known to simply ask "offending" posters to avoid iffy content, without issuing any kind of official action. I think it is also prudent to keep in mind that most of the posts we act on are brought to our attention by non-mods. We are not meter maids, patrolling the boards looking for someone to ring up.