What's new

I can see it now, eh?

Originally Posted by Hopper

Hopper said:
I have no idea what Bum intended by this. According to this own explicit statements, he himself is gay (or bi-sexual).

How would that be relevant?

I done said I don't know if it is the least bit relevant. Bum's intention may have been to praise homosexuality, but if he used the word "gayward" to do it, it might not make the least bit of difference what his intentions were. Who knows? I guess you do, given your question.

Last edited:
That's so 90's. "Public assisted housing" is the currently acceptable terminology. That being said, the phrase, "That's so public assisted housing" is a mouthful. Ghetto just flows off the tongue so much more smoothly.

Round these here parts, they just say "Cabrini-Green," eh, Marcus? Kinda long, but just too catchy to resist, I figure.

"Over the years, gang violence and neglect created terrible conditions for the residents, and the name "Cabrini–Green" became synonymous with the problems associated with public housing in the United States...Rat and cockroach infestations were commonplace, rotting garbage stacked up in clogged trash chutes (it once piled up to the 15th floor), and basic utilities (water, electricity, etc.) often malfunctioned and were left unrepaired. On the exterior, boarded-up windows, burned-out areas of the facade, and pavement instead of green space—all in the name of economizing on maintenance—created an atmosphere of neglect and decay. The high "open galleries" were enclosed with steel fencing along the entire height of the building to prevent residents from falling or being thrown off to their deaths (giving the visual appearance of a large prison tier, or animal cages...).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini–Green

My own damn self, I kinda miss the joint, ya know?

After a while, it got shortened to just "green," and now the phrase "that's Green" is often interpreted as an expression of distaste for the Irish by them what aint knowin nuthin.

Last edited:
They aint, eh?

No, they are not. Selective quoting will not create a contradiction that does not exist.

On the one hand, you maintain that people should be banned from this board for sayin "that's gay" because

Since you didn't give the reason I objected to the phrase, your point is moot.

I done said I don't know if it is the least bit relevant.

Why would TroutBum's sexuality be even remotely relevant? And no, you said nothing about that.

Heh.

Since you didn't give the reason I objected to the phrase, your point is moot.

Yeah, I did. Even if I didn't, so what? "I won't tolerate X" is the point. "I won't tolerate X, because..." doesn't change the point. But, either way, I quoted your stated reason ("because").

One Brow said:
And no, you said nothing about that.

Yeah, I did. No wonder we can't understand each other. I say sumthin, you claim I never said it. Do you just respond wthout readin, that it?

One Brow said:
Why would TroutBum's sexuality be even remotely relevant?

Unless intended meaning were completely irrelevant and the very WORD, all by itself, was deemed an insult (which seems to be EXACTLY how some people think), why WOULDN'T it be relevant.

I have heard it claimed that is a "slur" to refer to blacks as "colored people." If such a claim is made, do you think it might be revelvant if the speaker were the head of the NAACP? I know you if say "colored people" is a slur, then you can't even begin to conceive that it could EVER NOT be a slur, but try hard, eh?

Champions of a group often want to adopt a "there aint no difference between" dogma with a devotion so pronounced that it just becomes plumb stupid, eh?

There aint NO difference between (insert your constrast here, men and women. blacks and whites, gays and straights, whatever), I tellya! None. Zilcho. Nada, fool.

Kinda amusin, actually.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did. Even if I didn't, so what? "I won't tolerate X" is the point. "I won't tolerate X, because..." doesn't change the point.

Yet, you have so far not supported the notion that every idea should be tolerated, no matter what.

But, either way, I quoted your stated reason ("because").

Your use of selective quoting and ignoring clarifications actually means you have not.

Yeah, I did. No wonder we can't understand each other. I say sumthin, you claim I never said it. Do you just respond wthout readin, that it?

No, I read and regularly research in response to you.

Still, I acknowledge it's possible that I missed the part where you described why TroutBum's sexual pratices would be relevant to whether the comment was homophobic. All I saw was "Who knows if a poster's intentions matter at all?" Troutbum's intentions are not the same as his sexual orientation. Since you have now said that you don't know if it is the least bit relevant, I accept that you don't know.

Unless intended meaning were completely irrelevant and the very WORD, all by itself, was deemed an insult (which seems to be EXACTLY how some people think), why WOULDN'T it be relevant.

Relevance needs to be demonstrated, not assumed.

I have heard it claimed that is a "slur" to refer to blacks as "colored people." If such a claim is made, do you think it might be revelvant if the speaker were the head of the NAACP? I know you if say "colored people" is a slur, then you can't even begin to conceive that it could EVER NOT be a slur, but try hard, eh?

Yet, outside of the name of the organization, you don't hear the leader of the NAACP use the phrase. If he did, I expect there would be any number of people who examined the usage very closely to see what he was trying to say, but the assumption would be that it was negative.

Champions of a group often want to adopt a "there aint no difference between" dogma with a devotion so pronounced that it just becomes plumb stupid, eh?

I have heard much more from champions proclaiming that the differences between groups are valuable for an employer or a government, and that employers who can see past the differences can reap the benefits.

Yet, outside of the name of the organization, you don't hear the leader of the NAACP use the phrase. If he did, I expect there would be any number of people who examined the usage very closely to see what he was trying to say, but the assumption would be that it was negative.

Really? Who would assume such a thing?

I know plenty of blacks, especially more elderly ones, but not them exclusively, who routinely refer to themselves and others as "colored." Newsflash: They don't see it as no slur. Like, whooda thunk, I ax ya?

On the other hand, they was a time, not far back, when it was deemed offensive to describe a person of the negroid persuasion as "black."

Blacks often use the word "******" (more properly "*****") as a term of affection, endearment, and praise. Same with gays and "queer." But no matter who says it, it's an insult, I figure. Why? Because that's what I think, and my thoughts set the standard for all, caincha see?

Mebbe I done said that wrong. My thoughts don't set no standards, truth does, and all my thoughts are universally true, that's all.

I know plenty of blacks, especially more elderly ones, but not them exclusively, who routinely refer to themselves and others as "colored." Newsflash: They don't see it as no slur. Like, whooda thunk, I ax ya?

No argument there. Often the impression of meaning varies by age, among other things. The people I grew up with saw it differently.

Blacks often use the word "******" (more properly "*****") as a term of affection, endearment, and praise. Same with gays and "queer." But no matter who says it, it's an insult, I figure. Why? Because that's what I think, and my thoughts set the standard for all, caincha see?

People often use the word "dummy" or "stupid" as a term of affection and endearment among friends. So, I figure that when a person calls you stupid, you don't think you are being insulted, right?

By the way, how many of those same "blacks" who use ***** "positively" do you think see ***** as a term of affection, endearment, or praise when it's used by a person who is not "black"? For that matter, how many of the older people like hearing "colored" from someone who is not "black"? If words have only one meaning, maybe the point isn't that ***** is not an insult, but that it is an insult being used among friends. Perhaps you just don't understand enough to see that.

By the way, how many of those same "blacks" who use ***** "positively" do you think see ***** as a term of affection, endearment, or praise when it's used by a person who is not "black"? .

How could that be even remotely relevant?

One Brow said:
Why would TroutBum's sexuality be even remotely relevant?

I can see it now, eh?

Mod: Last night I heard a rooster crow at dusk instead of dawn.

Poster: That's kinda queer.

Mod: I'm giving you an infraction for homophobic comments. Wanna go for two?