I don't even know! :D

Tony

Contributor
Exum, Neto, Burke
Hood, Burks
Hayward, Ingles
Favors, Lyles
Gobert, Withey, Pleiss

Contract wise, these are the players guaranteed to be here next season. What immediately comes to mind that is wrong is the 3. Hayward and Ingles. The Jazz need another player there. You can put Hood behind Hayward but that leaves the 2 slim. Put Lyles there, 4 is slim. Now... Because of the salary cap rising to 92 million dollars, money is going to (IMO) be the biggest part of the off season for the Jazz. With these players, the payroll going into 2016-17 is $57,016,455. $25,783,545 under the salary floor.
But that's all assuming they don't trade anyone and I think the consensus is that Burke will be gone by next season and that leaves the Jazz at $29,170,142 under the minimum.

Three options to bridge the gap (mostly) are 1) Sign a player to the max contract. 2) Sign two mid-level contracts. 3) Restructure a contract.
Out of those three options, number one is the most logical scenario to me. It fills needs in both the salary and the roster. I can think of only four players who are "worthy" to get max contracts (they'll get one regardless.) Kevin Durant, Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal, and Nicolas Batum. Add one of them and the roster becomes this....

Exum, Neto
Hayward, Burks
FA, Hood, Ingles
Favors, Lyles
Gobert, Withey, Pleiss

Max contract would be around 23 mil, leaving $6,170,142 still to be filled.
One way I would love to see this solved is by trading Burke and two, maybe three of the 4 picks (42, 52, 60*) to Knicks for Jose Calderon. Why do this? Jazz gain a veteran leader who is vocal and can take Exum under his wing to help him become better. He wont command minutes, taking anything away from Dante. He's selfless and would help the second unit tremendously. He's a top free throw shooter and three point shooter. For the Knicks he hasn't played to his potential with such a trash organization. They want him gone and so do fans. Plus they get picks in the draft (which they're hoping to obtain.)
Caldron has one year left on his contract (16-17) which comes in at $7,708,427 and leaves us $1,538,285 over the minimum and $7,661,715 under the cap.

Exum, Calderon, Neto
Hayward, Burks
FA, Hood, Ingles
Favors, Lyles
Gobert, Withey, Pleiss

Now, if the Jazz keep their pick at 12 and 60, it brings their payroll up to $86,670,185, which is still $5,329,815 under the cap and they can cut Withey and Pleiss if they so desire and still be above the minimum.

TLDR; Lots of words lots of numbers. Payroll. Minimum. Cap. Sign Max FA. Trade Burke, 42, 52 to Knicks for Jose Calderon. Draft 12 and 60. Do whatever the hell with Withey and Pleiss, just get rid of them.

So I wanna see what you guys do with this roster template... We've signed a max guy, and also obtained a PG. How do you guys make it work and how?

Here's mine...

Exum, Calderon, Neto
Hayward, Burks, Forbes
Barnes, Hood, Ingles
Favors, Lyles, Davis
Gobert, Davis

I've signed Barnes to a max contract, drafted Deyonta Davis at 12 and Bryn Forbes at 60. Davis will be a beast defensively and be our Small-Ball Center. I love Forbes and I know the Jazz at least really like him. Getting him at 60 would be a steal. Neither Davis nor Forbes take away minutes from other players but both add depth.

Mack and Johnson are also under contract next year. They have the same nonguaranteed deal Withey has.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Tony: Those first two posts made me feel like I opened a big puzzle box. Eyes crossed. Give me the forrealz tldr.

Mack and Johnson are also under contract next year. They have the same nonguaranteed deal Withey has.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Mack is non-guaranteed. Johnson is not under contract. Withey is guaranteed.

The Calderon stuff won't happen but I am all for bringing in another wing. Someone that can challenge for a starting job at the 2 or 3.

I have the idea of throw everything at Conley (40/2, anyone?), trade Burke and Mack (or Neto), and draft Luwawu or Valentine.

Conley Exum Neto
Hood Burks CJ
Hayward Luwawu/Valentine
Favors Lyles
Gobert Withey Pliess

Plus whatever we get for Burke/Mack.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app