What's new

I have Still have Thoughts and Questions Draft Review

rocfan1

I know most of us have moved on to free agency but I still have some observations and unanswered questions on the Draft.:

1. I think the biggest hit from Andy Larsen and Tony Jones was that Jazz had Hendricks in their top 9 (not earth shattering).
2. I do not remember any reporting that the Jazz were as high on Keyonte George as they were.
3. I'm still confused on the reporting surrounding Kobe Bufkin apparently we were smitten with him, but it's not clear if he was even in our top 10. We likely had an opportunity to move up and get him.
4. Big Mike has no sources
5. Monty know nothing lol

Add your remaining thoughts and questions...

I know most of us have moved on to free agency but I still have some observations and unanswered questions on the Draft.:

1. I think the biggest hit from Andy Larsen and Tony Jones was that Jazz had Hendricks in their top 9 (not earth shattering).
2. I do not remember any reporting that the Jazz were as high on Keyonte George as they were.
3. I'm still confused on the reporting surrounding Kobe Bufkin apparently we were smitten with him, but it's not clear if he was even in our top 10. We likely had an opportunity to move up and get him.

2. As someone who wasn't on the KG bandwagon, I kept hearing reporting that would put George in the mix with Bufkin, JHS, Wallace and that had me a little nervous that the Jazz might actually prefer him. So I think you're right that there was no clear sign that he was that high, but I think there was enough reporting that he was being considered.

3. Locke was smitten with Bufkin. But he was probably the only one that was "close" to the Jazz. I think Tony Jones was always saying that the Jazz liked Bufkin (which I think was probably true), but he consistently added George into that group of guards that the Jazz liked.

As for number 2, there was a report a few days before the draft from Mark Stein that the Jazz were high on Bilal at 9 and Keyonte at 16. I believe the report also said that the Jazz weren't sure Keyonte would still be there at 16 and that they may have to move up to get him.

As for number 2, there was a report a few days before the draft from Mark Stein that the Jazz were high on Bilal at 9 and Keyonte at 16. I believe the report also said that the Jazz weren't sure Keyonte would still be there at 16 and that they may have to move up to get him.

This

1. It appears that virtually every team had a consensus top 9 in this draft. However, during the pre-draft process, Cam Whitmore fell from grace and Bilal rose up into that group. Jazz were apparently looking at 5 guys -- Ausar, Black, Walker, Coulibaly and Hendricks.

3. Tony Jones had mentioned that the Jazz liked Kobe Bufkin at #16, but didn't think he would fall there. I don't think that Kobe Bufkin was ever a solid candidate at #9, and hearing Justin Zanik at his recent press conference made it clear that Keyonte was higher on their board than Kobe.

4. Big Mike probably hears a bit of chatter related to trades. Trade season is also far from over. The draft is so fluid and based on contingencies, that it's really almost impossible to predict.

Last edited:
Tony Jones had mentioned that the Jazz liked Kobe Bufkin at #16, but didn't think he would fall there. I don't think that Kobe Bufkin was ever a solid candidate at #9, and hearing Justin Zanik at his recent press conference made it clear that Keyonte was higher on their board than Kobe.

Barring one of the top-9 somehow falling to 16, Keyonte was always going to be the pick as he was 10th on the Jazz big board.

The reporting on the Jazz was rock solid this year. A lot of people had Keyonte mocked to 16 and it happened. The Jazz also had Bilal above #9 so those reports about their interest were true.

JZ confirmed all of this in his press conference.

Stein was the OG with the Keyonte report and everyone confirmed it.

All we know is that Keyonte was 10th on their board, and Hendricks was 9th. I'm sure JHS, Bufkin, Hawkins, Dick, NSJ (if you had George ranked highly after his season, Id imagine youd still be pretty high on NSJ ) and Wallace were probably 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16th in some order. They said Brice was 18th.

Justin Zanik himself said the Jazz had Hendricks at 9 on their board.

There were some who were suggesting the Jazz have him pretty high. For example, even before Zanik's presser during the draft Sam Vecenie was alluding hard to the Jazz possibly doing something shocking at 9. And when they took Keyonte at 16, he said "now that this happened I can reveal that my sources were telling me he was an option for the Jazz at 9. That's how much they liked him." (Peraphrasing, not exact quote) And then Zanik said at the post draft presser we had Keyonte ranked no. 10.
If I had to guess they liked him but less than Keyonte(maybe in that 11-15 range), but a player they really loved, even more than Bufkin, fell and we were happy to sit there and take him.
Word.

Yeah I definitely heard Keyonte linked to the jazz. Also Rafael Barlowe reported Keyonte was not falling past Toronto at 13 which was BS. So I guess you got to take some of that stuff with a grain of salt.