What's new

I Side With Take 2

Interesting that I got a Republican at the top, then a whole slew of Democrats before my next Republican.

Well I am not American but I played... got 64% Mitt Romney, 58% Kasich,58% Shapiro, 57% Pence, 54% Cruz, 53% Paul, 48% Trump, 47% Obama, 45% Oprah.

I'd normally vote for Romney or Kasich. But both Reps, and won't primary against Trump. So I'll vote for whoever the Dem is. Don't need a quiz to know that.
Is there any way that there will be a Republican option that isn't Trump that I could vote for in the next presidential election?

(I might have already asked this question but I can't remember what the answer was or if I got one)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Is there any way that there will be a Republican option that isn't Trump that I could vote for in the next presidential election?

(I might have already asked this question but I can't remember what the answer was or if I got one)

Don't think so. Trump will be the Republicans' candidate, unless he gets impeached by then or something. I'm sure some Republican will run as an independent, but those don't have a realistic chance of winning, and I would like for my vote to matter.

Has an incumbent President ever lost a primary?

If Trump was in the primary and lost I'd be very inclined to vote for the person who beat him, if for no other reason than to support that portion of the Republican party that rejected Trump and help to show there is a large untapped segment of the population that would vote republican if they stopped with the nationalistic, Christian conservative, anti-LGBTQ crap.

If Trump was in the primary and lost I'd be very inclined to vote for the person who beat him, if for no other reason than to support that portion of the Republican party that rejected Trump and help to show there is a large untapped segment of the population that would vote republican if they stopped with the nationalistic, Christian conservative, anti-LGBTQ crap.
https://www.npr.org/sections/politicaljunkie/2009/07/a_president_denied_renominatio.html

It only happened once to an elected president. That was Franklin Pierce, the 14th president, who was elected as a Democrat in 1852. His pro-Southern sentiments and his policy of failing to lead on the divisive issue of slavery badly hurt his standing with the voters. Especially damaging was his support for the pro-slavery Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854, which backfired on him as Kansas was overrun by pro-slavery forces, mostly from the slave state of Missouri. The events angered Northerners everywhere and helped lead to the creation of the Republican Party. When Democratic delegates gathered in Cincinnati for their convention in 1856, it was clear that they had had enough of Pierce. James Buchanan, who had been defeated by Pierce for the nomination four years earlier, won the nomination on the 17th ballot.

The bolded part is so Dutch and company can tell us again that it's really the Democrats (circa 1854) who are racist.

Here's a good article I found on the topic: https://www.quora.com/Has-an-incumbent-president-ever-lost-in-a-primary-election

Short version: it's happened 5 times, where a sitting president lost the support of his party and wasn't nominated the next election. Most recently was Chester Arthur in 1884. But the article points out that the modern primary system didn't exist back then, so it's not really a fair comparison. It hasn't happened at all in recent years, "although Ford came very close to losing to Reagan in 1976, and Kennedy gave Carter a bruising fight in 1980. Johnson kind of side-stepped the issue in 1968 by withdrawing after (winning) the first primary, but it’s plausible that he could have lost."

Still continues to amaze me that there are still so many people willing to support a candidate from the party that paved the way for and has enabled Trump since day one.

Americans are so ****ing stupid sometimes it hurts.

Still continues to amaze me that there are still so many people willing to support a candidate from the party that paved the way for and has enabled Trump since day one.

Did you get the part where it would be a candidate that BEAT TRUMP in the primary? Basically saying that the party has rejected what Trump represents. No one is going to beat Trump at his own game. The only way a Republican could beat him in the Primary is by going the completely opposite direction.

Political parties change and evolve over time. I'd be more than happy to support a Republican party that was moving away from being the party that paved the way for Trump.

As much as I hate Trump, when I start listening to people who think we're on the same side say stupid **** like "It might be worse for Pence to be the President" that helps me know for sure this is not an R vs D thing for me, this is a decent human being vs Trump thing. I also get to hear all the wonderful things the Ds are going to do once they control the House, Senate and Oval Office and I think it'd be kind of nice to have a centrist Republican President in that mix.

This idea that one political party is pure evil is garbage. Especially when combined with the idea that the other party is essentially good. And this isn't "both parties are the same, both are equally to blame" thing. The current Republican party is enabling Trump and refusing to hold him accountable. I blame them for that. I think they'll pay the price eventually.

Did you get the part where it would be a candidate that BEAT TRUMP in the primary? Basically saying that the party has rejected what Trump represents. No one is going to beat Trump at his own game. The only way a Republican could beat him in the Primary is by going the completely opposite direction.

I think you are kidding yourself both in regard to how Trump could be defeated in a primary as well as what that would mean as far as a repudiation of Trumpism. Primaries are won by courting a parties base, and the current base of the GOP has absolutely no interest in a 'RINO' moderate--there's a reason men like Jeff Flake and Bob Corker are calling it quits. The other thing that electing a Republican does is empower the same congressional **** show we've been enduring for the last decade. Handing more power to Mitch McConnell sounds ****ing great.

The primary difference between Trump and so called mainstream republicanism is his willingness to say the 'quiet' part loud. Make no mistake the GOP is the party of Fox News, and that isn't going to change any time soon, certainly not in the next two years. And as long as those nutjobs are creating policy positions for the GOP they are going to be a destructive force in America, regardless of whether Trump is in the White House.

I think you are kidding yourself both in regard to how Trump could be defeated in a primary as well as what that would mean as far as a repudiation of Trumpism. Primaries are won by courting a parties base, and the current base of the GOP has absolutely no interest in a 'RINO' moderate--there's a reason men like Jeff Flake and Bob Corker are calling it quits. The other thing that electing a Republican does is empower the same congressional **** show we've been enduring for the last decade. Handing more power to Mitch McConnell sounds ****ing great.

The primary difference between Trump and so called mainstream republicanism is his willingness to say the 'quiet' part loud. Make no mistake the GOP is the party of Fox News, and that isn't going to change any time soon, certainly not in the next two years. And as long as those nutjobs are creating policy positions for the GOP they are going to be a destructive force in America, regardless of whether Trump is in the White House.
I'll read your entire post in a second.

I think the chances of Trump losing in the primary are 1,000,000,000:1

I basically don't disagree with anything you say in this post other than assuming how optimistic I am that Trump could lose in the Primary (see post above). I'm not going to be voting Republican until the party has a reckoning. I don't think that will be anytime soon (2020 or midterms in 2022) but I think they are in for a huge wake-up call. Black people in particular and minorities in general haven't voted a lot, historically. Well, I can tell you, they are going to be motivated and once they see that they actually can make a difference it will motivate them to continue voting and create a culture where they are involved in our political system, both from an activist-voter position, but increasingly from the position of office holder. Same goes for the motivation of women and people in the LGBTQ community. 2020 is going to be something to behold. The Trump supporters are going to come out in force. We've seen some of that here, where otherwise or at least previously reasonable people who happen to be white male Christians are feeling like they are losing their privilege and are jumping aboard the Trump bandwagon for one glorious last stand. It makes me sick, but if we don't all get out and vote in the general election like our lives depend on it Trump might just get re-elected. But in many ways, for many groups, our lives do depend on it. The Trump voters are going to show up, they make up maybe 1/3 of the country. But they have historically been the people who vote. But the greater the turnout overall the less Trump has a chance to win.

When I vote I look at candidates. People. Not parties.
I can't believe Americans would be so stupid as to blindly vote for a person based off what party they represent

Last edited:
When I vote I look at candidates. People. Not parties.
I can't believe Americans would be so stupid as to blindly vote for a person based off what party they represent

The party a politician chooses to join tells you a lot about who they are and what they believe in. It would take willful blindness not to take that into consideration, especially considering what has happened to the GOP in the last few decades.