What's new

I think a telling sign of sloans relationship with the team

Mic

And not just with Deron, is at the press conference he had only told one of the players personally he was leaving, and that person he ran into.

Maybe that's just Jerry, maybe he hates the phone and has no idea what a text is; however, not communicating with any player about his plan to leave shows a lack of connection he had with these guys. I really don't think it is just Deron but the whole team that can take some responsibility for his sudden departure.

I think that speaks more to Sloan's style than to his relationship with this team in particular. I'd have been more surprised to hear he had contacted the team first.

You should only believe about 5% of that press conference. I'm sure the whole team knew what was going on before that press conference. They see the blow up at halftime, they see KOC in his office for 45 minutes, then practice is cancelled. Those players knew exactly what was going on the whole time.

And not just with Deron, is at the press conference he had only told one of the players personally he was leaving, and that person he ran into.

Maybe that's just Jerry, maybe he hates the phone and has no idea what a text is; however, not communicating with any player about his plan to leave shows a lack of connection he had with these guys. I really don't think it is just Deron but the whole team that can take some responsibility for his sudden departure.

Ya know, one person who needs to be given more responsibility for this sudden departure is Sloan himself. That was purely up to him to leave on the spur of the moment based on some serious emotions. It certainly would have been a lot better for all concerned if he had held it together until the next day at least, then calmly made a phone call to Miller to announce what that he was calling it quits. I am surprised it did not happen that way knowing how professional Sloan is.

You should only believe about 5% of that press conference. I'm sure the whole team knew what was going on before that press conference. They see the blow up at halftime, they see KOC in his office for 45 minutes, then practice is cancelled. Those players knew exactly what was going on the whole time.

I'm not saying they didn't know. They obviously did, CJ's tweets show that, but what I'm saying is Sloan didn't even try to contact them to tell them personally.

I know the team was like, "why was practice cancelled and what is this so called press conference for?" It is just bizarre that Jerry didn't try to contact them and say that the head of the team was leaving abruptly.

They told Jerry to sleep on it before making the announcement...that's why he didn't tell the players that night, and in the morning the organization was still trying to talk Jerry out of his decision.

Sloan did not need to consult to players about retiring. Why would he? I think there could only be one person who might have changed his decision to resign: LHM. Larry could have convinced coach Sloan to stay until a certain time. And that, itself would be a big if. He has always had the luxury of giving up coaching whenever he wanted. Players got the news anyway. That's just not his style.

I'm about to go nuts reading some "expert" articles about "Deron and team wanted to push the ball, Jerry Sloan wanted a half-court, slow paced offense". Hell, F you. The Jazz have never played this slow. The Jazz of '04-10 seasons, for example, would always look for the transition opportunities. They would like to run, and SCORE in bunches. I vividly remember reading a comment of coach after a win this season which was about trying to run a little bit and learning playing how to execute the sharp offense at a high pace. BigAl, Raja and all the players should get the biggest part of blame when it comes to "not improving as a team offensively", "not being able to learn and apply the sets". WTF? They are paid to play basketball. If they cannot learn the plays, then they just can stop claiming that they are pros and better stop earning the buckets they get. Fact is Deron wants to push the ball, coach Sloan has never had a problem with high pace offense, as long as the sets are played properly and accurately. This just shows how disinterested with the jAzz national media is. If coach's "problem" with "some" players is lack of knowledge about the system, not running the plays, then I would say that that "problem" is likely to remain for a long time.

Since when does Deron want to push the ball? 90% of the time he walks it up slowly and Sloan's yelling at him to push it faster.

Sloan did not need to consult to players about retiring. Why would he? I think there could only be one person who might have changed his decision to resign: LHM. Larry could have convinced coach Sloan to stay until a certain time. And that, itself would be a big if. He has always had the luxury of giving up coaching whenever he wanted. Players got the news anyway. That's just not his style.

I'm about to go nuts reading some "expert" articles about "Deron and team wanted to push the ball, Jerry Sloan wanted a half-court, slow paced offense". Hell, F you. The Jazz have never played this slow. The Jazz of '04-10 seasons, for example, would always look for the transition opportunities. They would like to run, and SCORE in bunches. I vividly remember reading a comment of coach after a win this season which was about trying to run a little bit and learning playing how to execute the sharp offense at a high pace. BigAl, Raja and all the players should get the biggest part of blame when it comes to "not improving as a team offensively", "not being able to learn and apply the sets". WTF? They are paid to play basketball. If they cannot learn the plays, then they just can stop claiming that they are pros and better stop earning the buckets they get. Fact is Deron wants to push the ball, coach Sloan has never had a problem with high pace offense, as long as the sets are played properly and accurately. This just shows how disinterested with the jAzz national media is. If coach's "problem" with "some" players is lack of knowledge about the system, not running the plays, then I would say that that "problem" is likely to remain for a long time.

First part of your post is just a misinterpretation of what my post said. I never suggested he had to consult with him about retiring, I just found it odd that by 3 pm MT, he had only talked to one of his players personally that he was retiring and that was just because he ran into the person.

The second paragraph, I completely agree, except for Deron wanting to push the ball. Plus, I don't know how many times a game Jerry is waving his hands telling Deron to push the ball and Deron just walks or jogs across half court.

Since when does Deron want to push the ball? 90% of the time he walks it up slowly and Sloan's yelling at him to push it faster.

I think the problem has a lot to do with 2-guard, wing and the lack of floor spacing caused by BigAl and Paul's still not playing efficient basketball as a duo (they have had some great, dominant performances but their game is similar, both of them are big threats in same areas on the floor) + having only 1 constant 3pt threat. The Jazz had Kyle running through either side of the floor and space the floor, and Ronnie push the tempo after a rebound. Boozer runs the floor very well for a bigman at that size and along with Okur's outside threat, the Jazz were really a dangerous transition team. No need to talk about how efficient the offense used to be during their tenure.