What's new

I will certainly be watching...

Demanding a pitcher to run to first base is nothing close to demanding a post player to work on his threes. Baseball players are professional athletes. If they can't run to first base after they hit the ball because they might pull a hammy, then that's just sorry and they shouldn't be hitting under any circumstance. Look, I'm not taking anything away from the kid on his defensive game. Dude has a nasty arm. He did a beyond awesome job at pitching, but if you saw the highlight on espn where he jogged to first base you can't help but think, "wow, nice effort! Not." or "First MLB game and the kid is already a prima donna." He didn't even finish his run out. Heaven forbid I give him any criticism for running like a school girl with no heart to first base.

Demanding a pitcher to run to first base is nothing close to demanding a post player to work on his threes. Baseball players are professional athletes. If they can't run to first base after they hit the ball because they might pull a hammy, then that's just sorry and they shouldn't be hitting under any circumstance. Look, I'm not taking anything away from the kid on his defensive game. Dude has a nasty arm. He did a beyond awesome job at pitching, but if you saw the highlight on espn where he jogged to first base you can't help but think, "wow, nice effort! Not." or "First MLB game and the kid is already a prima donna." He didn't even finish his run out. Heaven forbid I give him any criticism for running like a school girl with no heart to first base.

stfu.gif

Stay classy, guys. If you don't want your pitcher to get hurt running to first, maybe he should go to the American League. Just a thought.

I just hope he stays healthy. Though not as highly touted or skilled, Kerry Wood and Mark Prior were slightly similarly anointed early on. But 15 or so injuries later and I'm not even sure if they're in the league any more.

Stay classy, guys. If you don't want your pitcher to get hurt running to first, maybe he should go to the American League. Just a thought.

Pitchers take batting practice. They try to hit, and if they get a hit it's a bonus. If they hit a ground ball to a fielder, don't get hurt running to first. They're on the team for their arm, not their offense. Sometimes pitchers come through at the plate. Just like if a post player hits a desperation three.

Archie, students of the game understand that there are unwritten rules in baseball, guidelines if you will; never make the 1st or the 3rd out at 3rd base, never sac bunt with your best hitter, never put the go-ahead runner on in a tie game, etc...The pitcher running out a ground ball (which he did, though not to your expert approval) is something along those lines. This applies even more so to star quality arms such as his, Ryan's, Maddux, and so on. Coaches encourage Pitchers to concentrate on their arm above anything else and they don't want them injured on a routine ground ball. YB made and excellent example with basketball, but I will give you one more. You've heard of not hitting a QB in practice right? It's the same premise. It's also like saying "Why can't Peyton Manning run the ball? He's a football player." This is one of the accepted aspects of the game.

My guess is that your a casual (at best) baseball fan that picked up on something you hadn't noticed before when catching a game here and there.

Archie, students of the game understand that there are unwritten rules in baseball, guidelines if you will; never make the 1st or the 3rd out at 3rd base, never sac bunt with your best hitter, never put the go-ahead runner on in a tie game, etc...The pitcher running out a ground ball (which he did, though not to your expert approval) is something along those lines. This applies even more so to star quality arms such as his, Ryan's, Maddux, and so on. Coaches encourage Pitchers to concentrate on their arm above anything else and they don't want them injured on a routine ground ball. YB made and excellent example with basketball, but I will give you one more. You've heard of not hitting a QB in practice right? It's the same premise. It's also like saying "Why can't Peyton Manning run the ball? He's a football player." This is one of the accepted aspects of the game.

My guess is that your a casual (at best) baseball fan that picked up on something you hadn't noticed before when catching a game here and there.

Wrong.

Everyone knows the reason why he jogged it out rather than run it out. Because baseball is a business. They don't want him hurt, therefore, they probably told him not to sprint to first. He didn't even have to sprint, all he had to do was run, not jog. Also, there are two Leagues, the American, and the National. One they have a DH, and the other they don't. Since Strasburg plays in the one that doesn't, I expect him to at least try and make it to base. A run from him counts just as much from anyone else. Pitchers often dog on their team for not getting enough runs, should they be held liable if they jog to the base? I think so. I'm a fan of the sport, not the business. I'm a fan of many sports. I'm also a fan of people that give it their all.

Last edited:
Although there is no "medical" proof. Tommy John surgery has been said to improve a pitcher.