What's new

I will certainly be watching...

Pittsburgh is like a AA team though, i'd like to see him go against the Yankees

15 teams in the NL and 10 of them strike out more than the Pirates...Sure, they don't score a lot of runs and they don't have a good batting average, but to strike that team out 14 times is incredible.

But who wouldn't want to see him against a team like the Yankees. That would be must see TV, for sure.

The curve is sick. Even with the ridiculous fastball, I think guys were praying he stayed away from the curve.

I told my brother about how good he looked and my brother asked if he threw a duce. I said "yeah, and that's what the Pirate hitters dropped when their knees buckled".

I told my brother about how good he looked and my brother asked if he threw a duce. I said "yeah, and that's what the Pirate hitters dropped when their knees buckled".

Yeah, when a guy who's been around as long as Adam Dunn has, is saying it's the best pitching performance he's ever seen, that is pretty impressive.

They guy should have been benched after jogging to first. He could have had a base hit. For as good as he did on the pitching end, what was he thinking running like it was a warm up?

They guy should have been benched after jogging to first. He could have had a base hit. For as good as he did on the pitching end, what was he thinking running like it was a warm up?

Good point - they should have benched him since they weren't trying to win the game or anything.

Mark Fidrych
Fernando Valenzuela
Dwight Gooden
Roger Clemens (1986)

Since I have been watching baseball, those are the four guys who when they pitched, the nation watched. And now Strasburg. There are others (Ryan, Unit, JR Richard, Nomo) who were "must see", but not like these guys. I can't wait to see Strasburg pitch again.

Mark Fidrych
Fernando Valenzuela
Dwight Gooden
Roger Clemens (1986)

Since I have been watching baseball, those are the four guys who when they pitched, the nation watched. And now Strasburg. There are others (Ryan, Unit, JR Richard, Nomo) who were "must see", but not like these guys. I can't wait to see Strasburg pitch again.

Same here. I was wondering if the MLB Network would show at least his next 2-3 starts or until he gets lit up for the first time. Bottom line is, whenever he pitches, there is a good chance something special is going to happen - and you don't want to miss that opportunity.

Good pitching is the only thing keeping me watching baseball. When is the guy going to be on one of the major networks soon?

Good pitching is the only thing keeping me watching baseball. When is the guy going to be on one of the major networks soon?

What? 2 perfect games, a third that should have been AND a no hitter by a guy with a sub 1 ERA and it's June? What else are you waiting for?

I don't know anything about television programming, but you'd think ESPN would figure out a way to get the Nationals for his next start.

Good point - they should have benched him since they weren't trying to win the game or anything.

So you condone athletes that go half *** at something? The Marlins benched their star player for doing the same thing a fly ball. I know he was pitching off the hook, and pitchers aren't supposed to hit well, but come on. This is just pathetic. Even if his coaches told him not to run hard cause they didn't want him to get hurt, he still could have run a little harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M_FcM3hPAM

Disagree. You want your pitcher to concentrate on pitching. If he walks, or gets an obvious hit, then fine. But, you don't want them trying to stretch a single into a double and you don't want your prize pitching possession to pull a Prior (illiteration intended) and be out for half the season when for the first time in its history people actually care about your franchise. Save his legs and save him for his next start. This is the potential face of the franchise.

Historically pitchers in the NL are expected to concentrate solely on pitching. I watched the video, there was nothing that drastic that I haven't seen before so as to label it "pathetic". You're grasping at an arguemnt. And if your referring to Hanley Ramirez, he plays a skill position and is expected to hustle given that he is that type of athlete. He was benched for booting (literally) a groundball and then obviously jogging into the corner to get it with runners on base who scored on the play.

Last edited:
Disagree. You want your pitcher to concentrate on pitching. If he walks, or gets an obvious hit, then fine. But, you don't want them trying to stretch a single into a double and you don't want your prize pitching possession to pull a Prior (illiteration intended) and be out for half the season when for the first time in its history people actually care about your franchise. Save his legs and save him for his next start. This is the potential face of the franchise.

Why not take an automatic out then and don't send your pitcher up to bat. What if he gets hit by the ball and it breaks his hand? I want my pitcher to run to first base like I want anyone else on the team, as fast as they can. With effort! What if they need that hit and the game was relying on it? More than anything, I'm just playing the devils advocate, but I still think you want your player to be competitive at all times. Balls to the Walls.

Then don't be surprised when your pitcher pulls a hammy running to first. C'mon Archie, your argument is inherently weak. If the game is "relying" on the 9 hole spit in the hitting order then you pinch-hit. This video quality isn't the greatest, but tell me you can't see the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOwJKLWp7o&feature=related

You're coming close to Archie-ing this. Demanding that a pitcher run hard to first is similar to demanding that your post player works on his 3 point shot.