What's new

If Conley Opts Out

Dave is a good character to bring into this discussion. Dude turned down $50 million to keep Chapelle show going. He valued other things more. Must be an idiot, right?
So I’d counter with saying Mike is a fairly settled guy with two kids. They’ve only ever lived in Memphis. Family uproots last summer. Does he uproot again, and, if so, for what? Gets paid less. He’s in a situation with lots of FO and coaching staff support — to a fault. Which team has space to obtain him, has a need for him, and would be contending with where he’s happy with his role? Not saying that doesn’t exist, but when you’re talking about giving him reason to leave his current situation for something else, it’d have to have some upgrades in a number of those factors.

So I’d counter with saying Mike is a fairly settled guy with two kids. They’ve only ever lived in Memphis. Family uproots last summer. Does he uproot again, and, if so, for what? Gets paid less. He’s in a situation with lots of FO and coaching staff support — to a fault. Which team has space to obtain him, has a need for him, and would be contending with where he’s happy with his role? Not saying that doesn’t exist, but when you’re talking about giving him reason to leave his current situation for something else, it’d have to have some upgrades in a number of those factors.
Yep, and it could be that this summer would be his best chance to land in such a place. I’m not saying it’s probable. But it certainly is possible. Please consult the “If” in the title.

If for some reason Conley decides to opt-out, I would prepare yourself to be underwhelmed.

Jazz need to take care of Rudy and Donovan after the 20-21 season. Donovan is an obvious max. What do we do with Gobert? Starting $ has to be north of 27 mil per, right?

Yes, there will be cash left over to sign another player - but I would fully expect Utah to play it conservative. They'll take care of Royce and probably a couple of short term deals.

Dennis O'Lindsey and Zantac get paid the big bucks to have a pretty good idea before Feb 6 if Conley will opt out this summer. Maybe they already know.

Conley and his agent will gaurd his interests which may mean telling the Jazz what he intends, or telling the jazz nothing at all.

Conley for Love since the Cavs point guards blow and need a mentor to teach them? And since Love wants the **** out.

Mitchell-Bogdanovic-Ingles-Love-Gobert

Al Horford just opted out of a very similar contract last summer to sign with the 76ers. In a different summer he might opt out, especially if the rest of the year remains this bad. However, there are not many teams with money to spend next summer, so for that reason I think he opts in.

Al Horford just opted out of a very similar contract last summer to sign with the 76ers. In a different summer he might opt out, especially if the rest of the year remains this bad. However, there are not many teams with money to spend next summer, so for that reason I think he opts in.
Horford opted out of like $29-30M to sign a deal worth nearly that much this year, plus like three more. Obviously we can say that in hindsight, but to some degree he had to know ballparks of what he would get offered. I don’t think there’s any way Conley lands that kind of deal.

If Conley opts out, I think he could go get 20-25 million a year. He’s almost 33. If he waits another year, what kind of contract can he get?

rubio just signed for 17-19 million a year
Rozier 18-19 million
Kemba 30 plus million
Lowry 30 plus million.

Do you ou opt in for 34 million or opt out for a 4 year deal worth 75-100 million?