What's new

If KAT becomes available should Jazz be interested?

The statement was “Having 2 scoring bigs at the 4 and 5 is not ideal. Can you think of any situation where you have 2 scoring bigs that are thriving at the same time? I can't really think of one right now.”

People don’t like the Twin Towers example, fine. But the idea that having your offense heavily coming from 4 and 5 is more operating off the antiquated notion that those guys are going to be occupying the same limited space, which isn’t really relevant or a concern with KAT and Lauri.

There are numerous reasons to not want to make a move for KAT. The offensive fit of our two best players being “bigs” isn’t a very strong one, though. And KAT and Lauri will occupy the same space exponentially less than Duncan and Robinson, or Barkley and Olajuwon, or whichever comparison.

But yeah, someone says they can’t think of a time when it was successful and **** me for thinking of a historic pairing. I guess I should’ve appealed to homeytennis’ G League examples of two bigs existing offensively.
For me it's not about operating in the same space since they are both stretch bigs and more about making a player the hub of your offense. If I'm paying KAT 50mil a season then I want him being the primary big man hub of the offense rather than a half hub. The same goes for Lauri. I don't think you get the best out of either guy in that situation. Cy mentioned that KAT is only taking 15 shots a game and Lauri is taking 16 and that is with both acting as the primary big man hub. Personally I don't think that is enough shots for either guy with how efficient they are. If I'm paying KAT 50mil then I want him north of 20 shots a game like Giannis and Embiid who are well above 20 when you add in how often they get to the line. In the end I don't think you are getting the best out of either player when paired together but you would be paying them superstar money. Probably close to 90mil combined for KAT and Lauri. On the other hand when you have a primary big man hub and a primary wing hub they are able to play off each other and it tends to bring out the best in both players. So in the end that is a long way of saying I'd much rather save my ammo for an elite wing coming on the market while trying to also obtain that guy through the draft which we have been quite successful in doing.

After seeing our team play zero defense and often half assing it effort wise, I’m more interested in acquiring Minny’s “other center.” He busts his *** on every play, plays amazing defense, rebounds, sets screens, is a constant lob threat, and makes his team better. His name is foreign sounding. Is there any way we can get him???

He about AD and Cousins? It’s not an example of the team thriving, but the reasons why they sucked had nothing to do with both of them being bigs.
That is a good call. Unfortunately we didn't get to see them together for long because of Cousins injury.

I definitely agree with CY. An elite offense is elite, regardless of whether a max player meets the arbitrary metrics given to him. It's not just Lauri and KAT complementing each other in Hardy's offensive system. Sexton would be feasting like never before.

On the other hand, I'm worried about what kind of defense can be built around these three.

I watch almost all Minny game and i have been quite surprised by KAT :
First he improve a lot in defense.
Second, he does not have the ego some star player have ( Don style), and he clearly accept the fact of sharing the light with ANT, Rudy...
Third, he is really good offensively, his primary weakness being he fouled too much when driving to the basket. But he is a really great 3 pts shooter.
Fourth, i'm totally convinced that the drama concerning the ownership of Minny will force them to save some money and force them to trade players. The best value they can get is for KAT or NAZ.

I do hope we try to get one of those.

I definitely agree with CY. An elite offense is elite, regardless of whether a max player meets the arbitrary metrics given to him. It's not just Lauri and KAT complementing each other in Hardy's offensive system. Sexton would be feasting like never before.

On the other hand, I'm worried about what kind of defense can be built around these three.
Assuming you keep Kessler (or pickup someone similar) both these guys can rotate and get minutes with him. He would average 20-25 a game. Depending on matchup's it could work well. I dont think either Lauri or KAT anymore are bad defenders just average. Closing games you can just play the matchups. Also its great with Lauri since he can play 3,4,5 in scenarios and KAT can play 4 or 5. If you add in a really good wing defender it could work well and the offense would be so efficient and great it could make up for an average defense. A guy like Hendricks could make the jump to be a really good fit with them as a 3D guy. You might just need one more really good guard. 2 versatile elite shooting 7' dudes is pretty easy to build around.

I think if he becomes available and the price is somewhat reasonable it would be an easy choice. You would have to make a few other roster balancing moves as well though.

Are there better players? Sure. Can we get them? Possibly, but probably not, even in the draft and tanking for multiple years.

If KAT becomes available then I suspect we will 100% be interested. Like all things price will come into it but any deal for KAT probably works in Danny Ainges favour given the circumstances.

We supposedly tried for Porzingis last off season before landing Collins and KAT is the best of the lot. I think either Hardy or Ainge is desperate to build a team with 5 out on offense and with Lauri and Hendricks at 3/4 we have Hendricks development pending the perfect options to play alongside someone like KAT.

I'm generally against it as I'd hope for a bigger star trade, but that's probably just blind hope. I get the impression he's not a mentally strong player.

But it's true putting him with Lauri and maybe Keyonte (?) would give you potentially three 20+ ppg options in the same 5. It all depends on what we have to give up.

The statement was “Having 2 scoring bigs at the 4 and 5 is not ideal. Can you think of any situation where you have 2 scoring bigs that are thriving at the same time? I can't really think of one right now.”

People don’t like the Twin Towers example, fine. But the idea that having your offense heavily coming from 4 and 5 is more operating off the antiquated notion that those guys are going to be occupying the same limited space, which isn’t really relevant or a concern with KAT and Lauri.

There are numerous reasons to not want to make a move for KAT. The offensive fit of our two best players being “bigs” isn’t a very strong one, though. And KAT and Lauri will occupy the same space exponentially less than Duncan and Robinson, or Barkley and Olajuwon, or whichever comparison.

But yeah, someone says they can’t think of a time when it was successful and **** me for thinking of a historic pairing. I guess I should’ve appealed to homeytennis’ G League examples of two bigs existing offensively.
I think what was implied is defensively limited scoring bigs, since the discussion revolves around what we actually have and what we could add, so the question implied comparable to what we could have if we get KAT. Hence suggesting 2 HOF all-world defensive bigs feels extreme in the context of the discussion, regardless of their offensive prowess

For me it's not about operating in the same space since they are both stretch bigs and more about making a player the hub of your offense. If I'm paying KAT 50mil a season then I want him being the primary big man hub of the offense rather than a half hub. The same goes for Lauri. I don't think you get the best out of either guy in that situation. Cy mentioned that KAT is only taking 15 shots a game and Lauri is taking 16 and that is with both acting as the primary big man hub. Personally I don't think that is enough shots for either guy with how efficient they are. If I'm paying KAT 50mil then I want him north of 20 shots a game like Giannis and Embiid who are well above 20 when you add in how often they get to the line. In the end I don't think you are getting the best out of either player when paired together but you would be paying them superstar money. Probably close to 90mil combined for KAT and Lauri. On the other hand when you have a primary big man hub and a primary wing hub they are able to play off each other and it tends to bring out the best in both players. So in the end that is a long way of saying I'd much rather save my ammo for an elite wing coming on the market while trying to also obtain that guy through the draft which we have been quite successful in doing.
This. Great post.

At the right price? Abso-freaking-lutely.

His "fit" on that team has changed with the addition of Gobert and emergence of Anthony Edwards, but he's still one of the best offensive big men in basketball.

A lineup of two 50-40-90 (ish) 7 footers would be extremely potent. We could probably space the floor better than any other team in basketball. Put 2-3 other scorers/shooters on the floor, I'm not sure how anyone guards us.

No. TJ would have considered KAT a star. It was definitely a sub all star based on how Tony was talking.

Forgot about that, makes me wonder if they're talking about the same guy then.

I do think KAT would fit Ainge's description of a guy would change your franchise. I didn't believe you about MIN trading KAT, but all the reports about the broke boy owners has me convinced you were right.

Forgot about that, makes me wonder if they're talking about the same guy then.

I do think KAT would fit Ainge's description of a guy would change your franchise. I didn't believe you about MIN trading KAT, but all the reports about the broke boy owners has me convinced you were right.
I think Ainge was referring to pre-season but I would need to listen again to see if he was referring to in season. I think Holiday/Zinger/Dame are the Almost Ainge guys. I think Tony was something else at the deadline. I think there was literally a report (by Glen Taylor's people) that the broke boys were going to trim salary and move KAT. I honestly think that was part of the idea in acquiring Rudy is they weren't sold on having that contract through its completion.

I think Ainge was referring to pre-season but I would need to listen again to see if he was referring to in season. I think Holiday/Zinger/Dame are the Almost Ainge guys. I think Tony was something else at the deadline. I think there was literally a report (by Glen Taylor's people) that the broke boys were going to trim salary and move KAT. I honestly think that was part of the idea in acquiring Rudy is they weren't sold on having that contract through its completion.

I think Ainge was referring to preseason (it was his justification for tanking late)....so yeah, different players it seems like. There was a report about the broke boys wanting to cut salary, KAT would be the natural choice there if not Rudy.

I'm honestly still intrigued by KAT. Health is the concern with me, but I still think he's an elite talent.