What's new

If the Jazz were to lose in the first round to the Luka-less Mavs…

It would be on the same level as game 6 against the clippers last year for sure. Pure embarrassment.

I don't see Dallas shooting like that again and Luka is about 70% right now. This sucks because we needed a sweep to prepare for a Phoenix series where a Quin Snyder team gets embarrassed on national TV again.

Luka will come back this series.

Dallas can afford to lose game three now, so, my guess is he doesn't play for game three and then will be back for game four.

Utah wins game three, Dallas pulls out a big win in game four, return to Dallas winning game five and this series either ends in game six or Utah pushes it to game seven where things probably go badly.

I'm not for "blowing it up" basically ever, but if we lose to a Luka-less Mavs then yeah. Something isn't right. Not time for a scalpel, time for a chainsaw.

Are we really sure Danny is going scorched earth on this biatch?

Dude is mid-60's and has had two heart attacks. I don't say that flippantly I just wonder if he's got a hitch in his giddyup.

Dallas played lights out. I don’t think that happens again, at least to the degree it did tonight, but who knows.
They probably won’t match the play, but I think we can definitely match the meltdowns with our psychological makeup. We outrebounded them by 19 last game and barely won (almost gave it away). Outrebounded by 19 tonight and got smoked. The bottom line is finding ways to win games (or lose them, in our case). Too often we rationalize certain anomalies and why we lost, or pointing to us barely losing by having a bad game. What’s missing from amalgamating those games is that we have way too many games where we’re not playing well. Jamal Murray was an anomaly, then Reggie Jackson and Terrence Mann were anomalies, and now Maxi and Jalen are anomalies. We have to evaluate them as anomalies because it’s an indictment on what we couldn’t do: close games, which has been consistent and not anomalous.

I guess my bottom line is that the amalgam of final results are much more indicative than any reading between the lines. I think we’re in a pretty vulnerable place mentally and I don’t think anything would surprise me. Quin certainly doesn’t have any answers.

Short of making the conference finals, this team isn't coming back next year.

This. We've lost in the first or second round 5 years in a row, this year will be the 6th. Significant changes need to be made regardless of whether or not we get past the Mavs.

They probably won’t match the play, but I think we can definitely match the meltdowns with our psychological makeup. We outrebounded them by 19 last game and barely won (almost gave it away). Outrebounded by 19 tonight and got smoked. The bottom line is finding ways to win games (or lose them, in our case). Too often we rationalize certain anomalies and why we lost, or pointing to us barely losing by having a bad game. What’s missing from amalgamating those games is that we have way too many games where we’re not playing well. Jamal Murray was an anomaly, then Reggie Jackson and Terrence Mann were anomalies, and now Maxi and Jalen are anomalies. We have to evaluate them as anomalies because it’s an indictment on what we couldn’t do: close games, which has been consistent and not anomalous.

I guess my bottom line is that the amalgam of final results are much more indicative than any reading between the lines. I think we’re in a pretty vulnerable place mentally and I don’t think anything would surprise me. Quin certainly doesn’t have any answers.

Excellent post

Are we really sure Danny is going scorched earth on this biatch?

Dude is mid-60's and has had two heart attacks. I don't say that flippantly I just wonder if he's got a hitch in his giddyup.
I don’t think Danny is thinking super long-term here. I just don’t see a guy aiming for legacy, taking over a team who was the best record in the league the previous season, something like #2 or 3 when he took over, and parlay all of that into a tear-down of which he doesn’t have enough time to reap the benefits and see come to maturity. I don’t care how much that may or may not be needed, I just don’t see him wanting to have his name associated with those optics. It may be “doing the right thing,” but he’s not coming on board as some altruist who will sacrifice himself for the good of a franchise he’s never had any connection to, and for which he’d get very little credit. He’s a guy who’s made a name for himself as a player, being an all-star and two-time champion. He coached for multiple years at the highest level. He was an executive for 15 some odd years and put together a championship team. Things didn’t go well on that exit and he took this job to be another jewel in his crown by taking a team over the top, not to go through a rebuild.

The team gets blown up and Rudy's followers follow him to his future destination.
Sounds good. Count me in. (Jazz fan since mid 90s)

That being said... I think the Jazz roll back Donovan and Rudy one more year. Hopefully they switch out Conley and Royce. I'd love to keep Bogey, but maybe throw him to try and get something good back.

I don’t see why the Mavs will play any differently next game. We have no answer for our perimeter defense.