What's new

If the Jazz win at OKC on Sunday will it make everything okay?

What do you think?

• Yes.

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • No, this team is doomed.

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

twentytwo

See poll.

If "yes" or "no" questions are too hard for you, feel free to complain below.

Last edited:
I called it a statement game, it hasn't changed. OKC is picked by everyone to win the division while few have any faith in the jazz. We need this one.

If the jazz win on sunday....It will be a miracle. Jazz need two players on the wing before anything is going to change.

Ya the guard play so far this season has been horrible for the most part, I would say bring Bell of the bench but CJ has played worse then he's ever played and AK showed improvement so I'd almost be willing to say start Hayward and AK at SG & SF and bring Bell and CJ off the bench.
I know people want Bell to start because of defense but to me he is still best as a energy bench guy that can drain a 3.

koolaid-bad.png

I don't think if they win everything is fine because there are way too many new players for everything to be fine this early. I also don't think it's the end of the world if the Jazz start out 0-3 and am still very confident that they will figure it out and end up winning the division. Unlike past seasons, I think we will be a lot stronger during the closing stretch of the season ala the Spurs normal MO.

This pool sucks... This game is more important than many other regular season games, it's a game against division rival. The Jazz are not all bad and they would not be okay had they won those two games + they will not be okay just because they win against OKC. It's a process.

This group of guys' performance and whether they have been successful or not should be debated after 10-15 games, at least. A win would be great. We all knew that the schedule is difficult at the beginning of the season. The Jazz should make sure that they win the games in which they are clear favourites. The Jazz should be in the mix no matter how hard it is for guys to figure out how to play together in this system. I want to see a real competition. We may lose but please not "badly". Winnable game but not a must-win, for me.

Sorry, should have clarified. "Will it make everything okay" = "I will stop being emo on this board." "No, the team is doomed." = "The emo will continue."

There are really only two options.

It's a lot better to not play as well now and pick it up later, than it is to do the usual Jazz play well most of the year and lose a bunch of games after the all-star break.

Ya the guard play so far this season has been horrible for the most part, I would say bring Bell of the bench but CJ has played worse then he's ever played and AK showed improvement so I'd almost be willing to say start Hayward and AK at SG & SF and bring Bell and CJ off the bench.
I know people want Bell to start because of defense but to me he is still best as a energy bench guy that can drain a 3.
This goes back to coaches analyzing player matchups and combinations. Based on the learnable lessons from the first two games, conventional wisdom still holds: don't play the two PFs almost exclusively (Jefferson and Millsap), don't play two centers together (Fes and Elson), don't play two only defense-focused semi-shooters primarily on the wing (AK and Bell), and don't play two shooting-focused semi-defenders together. For the majority of the game, the best formula is PG, one shooting-oriented wing, one defense-oriented wing, one scoring PF, and one center with height. There are players on this team to make that happen. Play PM and AJ together some (10-15 MPG), but not nearly as much as they have been.

I'm not really that surprised that they are 0-2 to start the season (although I am surprised by the margin). Implementing several new players into a read-and-react system like the Jazz's takes time for that chemistry to develop. I expected a slow start...and the following panic that comes with it. But the Jazz have gotten off to poor starts before and been fine. I think that'll be the case again this season...although win #1 won't come until game #4. The east-coast swing will be brutal as well...

Winning one game early in the season might not mean much, but really, neither does losing two.

IMO yes, winning against OKC would at least wake the team up.

If they can go 2-1 this week I'll be happy.

Edit: There are 4 games this week apparently. I don't know if I could live with 2-2.....

Last edited:
This goes back to coaches analyzing player matchups and combinations. Based on the learnable lessons from the first two games, conventional wisdom still holds: don't play the two PFs almost exclusively (Jefferson and Millsap), don't play two centers together (Fes and Elson), don't play two only defense-focused semi-shooters primarily on the wing (AK and Bell), and don't play two shooting-focused semi-defenders together. For the majority of the game, the best formula is PG, one shooting-oriented wing, one defense-oriented wing, one scoring PF, and one center with height. There are players on this team to make that happen. Play PM and AJ together some (10-15 MPG), but not nearly as much as they have been.
Well, if we're going to base decisions on just two games, then it's clear Sloan must bench Deron and KOC has to re-sign Sundiata to come in and start at PG. Or track down Keith McLeod.
I agree, though, that AK and Raja pose many of the same problems as we had with Brewer and AK. At least RB could drive to the hoop.

As for the poll, the Jazz have such a minute chance of winning at OKC that it's a mute point. May as well argue over the sky being green and the grass blue.