What's new

If we HAVE to trade Kanter, why not take advantage of the Reggie Jackson situation?

sirkickyass

Moderator Emeritus
Contributor
They have our problems but in reverse. They have a young PG stud that everyone knows is coming up for a pricey extension, is in a positional logjam, and that will be hard to justify keeping. Sound familiar? Seems like we could solve these problems and not affect our cap space too badly if we get a little creative.

R4YMxFF.png

Perkins may not be right. They may want the cap space his contract represents instead. But Kanter is definitively a player they could use. Maybe the structure is something similar to Kanter + GSW pick for Jackson, Lamb, and Grant Jarrett (which also works under the cap).

But the germ of two teams being able to solve each other's problems is there.

Yeah I've wanted Reggie Jackson since this RFA situation has surfaced.

I dunno if our FO is sold on him enough to be paying for him though. Also what if a team offers Jackson something we don't want to match? (i.e., $13m+).

They have our problems but in reverse. They have a young PG stud that everyone knows is coming up for a pricey extension, is in a positional logjam, and that will be hard to justify keeping. Sound familiar? Seems like we could solve these problems and not affect our cap space too badly if we get a little creative.

R4YMxFF.png

Perkins may not be right. They may want the cap space his contract represents instead. But Kanter is definitively a player they could use. Maybe the structure is something similar to Kanter + GSW pick for Jackson, Lamb, and Grant Jarrett (which also works under the cap).

But the germ of two teams being able to solve each other's problems is there.

Isn't Perkins expiring contract a good thing for the Thunder. The problem that I see is that if they want to keep Kanter then they are going to have to spend at least the 9mill Perkins is getting. If they let Kanter go then what was the point other than downgrading their backup pg before the playoffs.

I think a trade with a base of Jackson and Kanter is a really great idea.

OKC needs all the help it can get just to make the playoffs. As long as they think Kanter gives them more then Jackson THIS year I think they do it. The trick form Utahs side of things is getting an additional asset in addition to Jackson, incase Jackson leaves next year. If they Jazz can get another good player, or draft picks even if they are bad draft picks then I say we do it.

Reggie Jackson shoots worse than Trey and Dante from 3... And doesn't defend much... and is RFA in the summer. He's an inefficient offensive player, who doesn't defend, looks for his shot first ... does it remind you of certain chucker we already have? I am not sold on Jackson... I'd rather have a pick than Jackson to be fair...

I think it would be worth the risk. Everyone has a risk, we have given Kanter a chance for 4 years and that has come back to bite us in the ***. As far as guards go, I think we should take any chance that looks promising. Jackson, Thomas, Knight, any of these guards gives us a HUGE upgrade right now and would let us still give Exum several years to get better.

Reggie Jackson shoots worse than Trey and Dante from 3... And doesn't defend much... and is RFA in the summer. He's an inefficient offensive player, who doesn't defend, looks for his shot first ... does it remind you of certain chucker we already have? I am not sold on Jackson... I'd rather have a pick than Jackson to be fair...

Jackson is like MCW. Numbers look good until you really look at them. Would rather have Trey on a cheaper contract if we have to carry a designated chucker on the team.

Did Raja Bell increase his chances of getting out of town by making demands? Or decrease?

I think the Jazz organization is very hostile toward this kind of behavior. They won't be instigated by players in this fashion. It may very well be that the jazz are content to let Enes rot and then use the cap space this summer (while maintaining their policy on this kind of behavior by players), rather than take back another asset they aren't 100% sure about.

Trades that look like this:

OUTGOING: Player X, who is expiring this year and wants out
INCOMING: Player Y, who we are as certain as we can be that he will fit into team culture + offensive and defensive strategies + our management of them contracts

are difficult.

Did Raja Bell increase his chances of getting out of town by making demands? Or decrease?

I think the Jazz organization is very hostile toward this kind of behavior. They won't be instigated by players in this fashion. It may very well be that the jazz are content to let Enes rot and then use the cap space this summer (while maintaining their policy on this kind of behavior by players), rather than take back another asset they aren't 100% sure about.

How would you feel about that scenario if it happened?

LULZ. No chance OKC does this. This was just a dumb proposal.

Care to elaborate? I think it's well known they don't have a stomach for keeping Jackson past this year.

It's well known they would trade Jackson for Wilson Chandler, Javale McGee and a pick. Obviously that involves some salary ballast going the other way.