What's new

If we HAVE to trade Kanter, why not take advantage of the Reggie Jackson situation?

srsly, though.. I don't want Jackson.

I would rather ride with Burke/Exum, Burks/Hood, Hayward, Favors/Gobert.. and look for a real 3D guy. One of Burke or Exum (or both combined) is less of an issue than a dynamite wing.

Care to elaborate? I think it's well known they don't have a stomach for keeping Jackson past this year.

It's well known they would trade Jackson for Wilson Chandler, Javale McGee and a pick. Obviously that involves some salary ballast going the other way.

He's simply a much better player than Kanter and their window is right now, they aren't looking 3 years ahead.

He's simply a much better player than Kanter and their window is right now, they aren't looking 3 years ahead.

I don't think their window is right now (i.e. this year before Jackson goes RFA). It's not clear they are making the playoffs this season. If they do, they'll likely have to play GSW or Memphis in Round 1 on the road. I'd say their odds of winning the championship this year are less than 2%.

Kicky, you're selling Kanter WAY too low along with me and the rest of the fanbase. This guy, right now, has obvious Al Jefferson offensive potential. He will get there given a chance (which is why he's pissed... told y'all they were playing Jeffy Ball looking and promising to insert him into that role. Promise is now dead as it should have been from day one).

The Jazz need to sell him as a potential total package who is growing in great strides. I don't like the guy, hate his game, but damn me if he hasn't made some pretty bad *** improvements this year. I'd like to say I'm baffled the fans aren't giving him any credit for his growth, but who are we kidding we all know how this crowd turns on a player as soon as the next younger guy flashes something or two.

Kanter, right now, can shore up any playoff contender's bench and keep them in the game while starters rest for a fraction of the cots of a proven vet. We don't need to give picks away to dump him. The opposite should happen if another team wants to make a push in the playoffs.

They have our problems but in reverse. They have a young PG stud that everyone knows is coming up for a pricey extension, is in a positional logjam, and that will be hard to justify keeping. Sound familiar? Seems like we could solve these problems and not affect our cap space too badly if we get a little creative.

R4YMxFF.png

Perkins may not be right. They may want the cap space his contract represents instead. But Kanter is definitively a player they could use. Maybe the structure is something similar to Kanter + GSW pick for Jackson, Lamb, and Grant Jarrett (which also works under the cap).

But the germ of two teams being able to solve each other's problems is there.

I honestly think we would hate Jackson here.. no defense, not a good shooter. I would not want to pay him this summer.

Jackson also really wants to be a starter, something that may not be that case in the near future with Exum on the team. How would he respond to not starting on a non-playoff team?

I also google'd and it appears he is one of the THunder's worst defenders.

Personally I'd rather have Jeremy Lamb because I like his potential and I think he would be a lot better in an offensive system that isn't heavily star-driven Iso based.

Kicky, you're selling Kanter WAY too low along with me and the rest of the fanbase. This guy, right now, has obvious Al Jefferson offensive potential. He will get there given a chance (which is why he's pissed... told y'all they were playing Jeffy Ball looking and promising to insert him into that role. Promise is now dead as it should have been from day one).

The Jazz need to sell him as a potential total package who is growing in great strides. I don't like the guy, hate his game, but damn me if he hasn't made some pretty bad *** improvements this year. I'd like to say I'm baffled the fans aren't giving him any credit for his growth, but who are we kidding we all know how this crowd turns on a player as soon as the next younger guy flashes something or two.

Kanter, right now, can shore up any playoff contender's bench and keep them in the game while starters rest for a fraction of the cots of a proven vet. We don't need to give picks away to dump him. The opposite should happen if another team wants to make a push in the playoffs.

Sure he can shore up a contender's bench, I could see a team like Portland being interested in him. But realistically what would they give us for him? A late first? Batum?

We have our franchise center in Gobert. Kanter doesn't play defense or pass. He is not a good fit for our team and we are risking losing him for nothing if we hold onto him.

KL will never-never-never trade for a PG who can't reliably drain a 3.

If Jackson could drain 3s he could play with Westbrook and the Thunder would be keeping him at nearly any price. That's the gamble you have to take and hope it works out.
He's a good athlete, freak wingspan, very good assist/TO rate.

They have our problems but in reverse. They have a young PG stud that everyone knows is coming up for a pricey extension, is in a positional logjam, and that will be hard to justify keeping. Sound familiar? Seems like we could solve these problems and not affect our cap space too badly if we get a little creative.

R4YMxFF.png

Perkins may not be right. They may want the cap space his contract represents instead. But Kanter is definitively a player they could use. Maybe the structure is something similar to Kanter + GSW pick for Jackson, Lamb, and Grant Jarrett (which also works under the cap).

But the germ of two teams being able to solve each other's problems is there.
So the cost of trading out of Burke's contract is Kanter? I don't like this idea. We get a similar player to burke for similar money for 2 less years. Then we basically give them Kanter for nothing. I think you are overselling Jackson.

Care to elaborate? I think it's well known they don't have a stomach for keeping Jackson past this year.

It's well known they would trade Jackson for Wilson Chandler, Javale McGee and a pick. Obviously that involves some salary ballast going the other way.

OKC has a shot to win it all this year. They're not going to trade their backup point guard, a vital spot for true contenders, for Kanter, a RFA, when they already have Ibaka, Adams, Collison, McGary and Perkins, five guys who get such concepts as team and defense.

I don't think their window is right now (i.e. this year before Jackson goes RFA). It's not clear they are making the playoffs this season. If they do, they'll likely have to play GSW or Memphis in Round 1 on the road. I'd say their odds of winning the championship this year are less than 2%.

They may have the best two players in the West. For a team this talented, home court means ****. Now don't get me wrong, the West is brutal and I'm not guaranteeing they do anything. But there's no reason they can't win now. They can be that good and are beginning again to show it.

This trade is just so awful on so many levels. So OKC won't re-sign RJax but if they pulled the trigger on this, they would Kanter?

OKC has a shot to win it all this year. They're not going to trade their backup point guard, a vital spot for true contenders, for Kanter, a RFA, when they already have Ibaka, Adams, Collison, McGary and Perkins, five guys who get such concepts as team and defense.

I'd like to thank QSH for this bit of prophecy. In essence they traded exactly Jackson and Perkins for Kanter.

Also, how did we not get Jackson in the real deal?

To be fair, they got Augustin who they probably like just fine.

Looks to me like the Jazz didn't want RJ, I would think we could have had him with essentially a Kanter + Burke for RJ + Perk framework.

I'd like to thank QSH for this bit of prophecy. In essence they traded exactly Jackson and Perkins for Kanter.

Also, how did we not get Jackson in the real deal?

Yep, after all the definitive claims made in this thread by several posters, Utah could have easily acquired RJ if they had wanted. Kanter was being undervalued by this board. And the way RJ has been playing lately, Utah may be kicking themselves by next year. Only time will tell, but right now it's looking like we may have missed an opportunity.