What's new

If you had to pick between Stockton & Malone

margodydek

Who would you take? Interestingly enough Calipari has gone so far as to compare his two lottery guys to the statues. He compared Knight to St. John "in terms of dedication and approach." And also said that Kanter, "can be a Karl Malone-type guy". Not that I think either one can get even remotely close to either one of the statues, but I do find it very interesting/creepy/poignant that at this crucial time for the Jazz that could end up defining who they are for the next decade that they could potentially be faced with having to choose from the next Stockton or the next Malone (very not likely, but hey, who knows?) So if you could have only had one (Stock or Karl) which would it have been? When you've answered that, maybe you have the answer to who Stern calls at #3.

As much as Johnny was my favorite player ever, it would be Malone. Until Duncan came along he was the absolute epitome at his position.

My response below...

NBA Finals and Champions

Looking at the NBA Finals and Champions over the past 10 years it is clear that you don't need a superstar PG to win - that's old news - and yet it's true.

It's a superstar down low that you need.

- Lakers were nowhere until Gasol showed up
- Dallas would be close to a lottery team this year without Nowitzki
- Spurs had Duncan
- Boston won it when Garnett joined the team
- Pistons won it with Wallace
- Miami won it when Shaq showed up
- This year's Finals? Two starting PGs both scored a big fat '0' in game 4 (Kidd & Bibby)

Malone vs Stockton

I really like Stockton, but based on the above examples, if I were to start a new franchise? I'd have to choose Malone.

Jazz 2011 Draft

Similarly in this year's draft, if Kanter's physicals really checked out? It's not even close in my book. You'd have to go with Kanter. He has all the potential to become a dominant big man in this league. He's got size, he's got the height, he's got that rare inside/outside game that makes it impossible to guard. He's also got that rare physical/finesse game as well.

OK he hasn't played college. But there was a time where players were picked straight out of High Schools. Garnett, Howard, LeBron, just to name a few. So what if other teams are not gonna pick him - that's why he'll be available at #3.

Knight can be good - there's no doubt. But Kanter can be great. This kind of opportunity doesn't come around very often and I hope KOC would make the right choice and go with Kanter.

Is size everything? It's 2005, do you go with DWill/CP3 or Bogut?

Obviously the potential has something to do with it...

It's 2004, do you really take Devin Harris over Dwight Howard? Dwight was an unproven kid who hadn't played the level of competition that Harris had played.

Yeah, I don't think you can say "Bottom line - you always go with size because look at these point guards who never won a title."
Jason Kidd (maybe this will change in a few days) and Gary Payton never won a title - but if they were in this draft would you really pass on them because they play point guard?

The Jazz are a lottery team picking 3rd in a two-player draft - they need to focus more on the BPA than the player that historically fits a championship-winning position.

Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, Michael Jordan.

Yeah this is an argument I've heard here numerous times.

But I don't buy it.

Can you seriously tell me that Bogut had the same inside/outside game back then? He still doesn't have a jumper let alone a 3pt shot.

If you look at the list of players I've listed above, with the exception of Shaq, you'll see that they all have that rate combination of inside/outside game and a physical/finesse game that you need.

That's basically when you become un-guardable.

Coach Spo' press conference yesterday said it best, you need 1.5 players to guard Dirk. And that's only because he can spot up, dribble & drive, simply score inside, and run around and hit a spot up 3pt.

So yes, I'd go with Bogut over DWill/CP3 if he had demonstrated that he could do all those things.

Can you seriously tell me that Bogut had the same inside/outside game back then? He still doesn't have a jumper let alone a 3pt shot.
Agree about Bogut's perimeter game - and this is where people confuse someone who "can hit a jumpshot" to someone who "has a jumpshot they can hit consistently." Bogut took and made a handful of 3's at Utah, and alot of scouting reports went off the assumption that since he showed he "could make" college 3's, that it would translate to someone who "would make" mid-range jumpshots consistently in the nba.

I think you have to go with Malone over Stockton, as Malone was the 2-time MVP. Malone would have been great on any team, whereas I think a small part of Stocton's huge success was the type of offense ran by the Jazz. If Stockton played in the triangle for the Bulls, he might just have ended up as an All Star-version of John Paxson and not the living legend he is.

Never quite thought about that Utah is deciding between 2 Calipari prospects. Looking at Calipari players, with the exception of Marcus Camby, his guards (Wall, Rose, Evans) have faired better than his big men (Barron, Orton, Cousins) thus far in the pros. He knows what he is doing with guards and I don't believe he would tell a player to go to the NBA if he didn't think that player was ready (patrick patterson waiting until his Jr. year as an example), so you have to think that Knight has the goods. I tend to think that Utah already has its future Karl Malone in Derrick Favors.

Im a little torn. Kanter would be great but we have Millsap, Jefferson, Favors, which is a young exciting big man rotation. All Utah has is Harris at pg. I'd much rather see them pick up a pg to add a little depth. I would love to see this happen. Millsap for Robin Lopez, 13th pick, then trade Harris for Batum and the 21st pick, then draft Knight, Jimmer, Singleton and a choice of Jon Leuer, Tyler Honeycutt, Marshon Brooks, Jeremy Tyler. Yes the team might be alittle young but give it 2 years and Utah has a contender in the works.

Knight, Jimmer
Hayward, Miles
Batum, Singleton
Favors, Tyler
Jefferson, Lopez

Im a little torn. Kanter would be great but we have Millsap, Jefferson, Favors, which is a young exciting big man rotation. All Utah has is Harris at pg. I'd much rather see them pick up a pg to add a little depth. I would love to see this happen. Millsap for Robin Lopez, 13th pick, then trade Harris for Batum and the 21st pick, then draft Knight, Jimmer, Singleton and a choice of Jon Leuer, Tyler Honeycutt, Marshon Brooks, Jeremy Tyler. Yes the team might be alittle young but give it 2 years and Utah has a contender in the works.

Knight, Jimmer
Hayward, Miles
Batum, Singleton
Favors, Tyler
Jefferson, Lopez

I like Kanter, but if somehow KOC takes Knight - this is exactly what I would like to see.

Well done.

I owe you 1 rep for this but need to spread it around first, LOL.

Last edited: