What's new

If you ran the Jazz, what would you do?

juds101

I would shorten the rotation to 8. With Watson, Evans, and Fez, being the 6,7,8 man. Play Bell 15 to 20 minutes. And turn the team over to DWill and tell him to go to work. Run it, Play half Court. Just win me some games! So what would you guys do?

Deron
CJ
AK
Jefferson (or possibly Millsap)
Fes

I'd give Fes about 15-20 minutes per game, and give the rest to Sap/AL. I'd give Hayward and Evans significant burn, and reduce Bell's minutes by 75%. I'd also find a way to unload Okur, and possibly AK (even though I'd ideally like to keep for 5-6m a year).

I would take advantage of mismatches, and go with whatever lineups work at the time. Instead of random robotic substitutions and plays.

I would play Deron at the 2 for 10 minutes a game, with Watson at the point.

I would have no problem with someone losing their starting position after an injury, if someone else steps up.

At this point I would start playing my rookies more to get them some developmental time and see if we can't shake things up a bit, and I would be working the phones.

Trade AK as soon as possible for anyone who wants him. He is the biggest wuss in the NBA. Every time he gets hurt he has to take a minimum of a week off and the Jazz are the only organization that allows that to happen.

Force Sloan into retirement

https://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=467ccyu

Save 1 million dollars which the Millers would love for luxury reasons. Boobie is a more consistent threat from 3 than Miles is. We have Hayward and Evans who we all want to play more. This also moves Bell to the bench and we can keep him fresh.

D-Will cannot guard PG's he is too slow for some reason laterally. But he played very good defense against Kobe and Brandon Roy (healthy) and other players very well. He has a long wing span and is strong enough to stop them. Play D-Will at the point 80 percent of the time still and let Boobie and Watson play the other 20 percent.

D-Will plays PG on offense but SG on defense. Boobie is a great spot up shooter and would thrive having D-Will hit him for 3's. Have boobie play PG on defense though. Or switch off depending on match ups.

D-Will - Watson
Gibson - Bell
Hayward - AK - Evans
Jefferson - Millsap
Fesenko - Elson - Okur

Than move Millsap back to the bench not because he isn't deserving of starting but the fact that we cannot spot penetration. Guys like Russell Westbrook get into the paint whenever they want. Fesenko clogs the paint and Jefferson is a good weak side shot blocker so they would complement each other well on defense.
Start Hayward because we will need to spread the court with Fesenko and Jefferson is the game. Hayward can spread the floor better than AK can.

D-Will, Boobie, and Bell share the guard minutes

Hayward and AK share the SF minutes (Evans won't play much this year)

Have a rotation of Jefferson, Millsap and Fesenko at the PF and Center position.AK will play some PF when we need to play a quicker lineup

Trade AK as soon as possible for anyone who wants him. He is the biggest wuss in the NBA. Every time he gets hurt he has to take a minimum of a week off and the Jazz are the only organization that allows that to happen.

Damn, for a minute there I thought you were talking about our favorite son, Carlos.

...wait for the lockout, save millions on salary I won't have to pay, bank the money, sell the franchise.....and get out of town!

-Change the locks and have everything that Greg Miller touched disinfected or destroyed.
-Fire Sloan. Interview Corbin, Horny, and JVG on day 1.
-Beg Karl Malone to be a part time/full time asst. coach.
-Call Tomic, and tell him we want him to be a part of the team's future.
-Trade AK for anything of value. A pick, a shooter, anyone who can help the team.
-Trade Raja Bell for anything.
-Retire José Ortiz's # whatever it was.
-Assign Jazzfanz the official message board. Pay Jason 50 K per to run the site. Give him a box to use for personal use, and jazzfanz acivites.
-hire Vinyl to be head of media relations.
-give Jazzgal, Colton, and YB courtside season tickets.
-put kicky in charge of hiring the dancers, and half time entertainment.

Damn, for a minute there I thought you were talking about our favorite son, Carlos.

Boozer was another one known for that especially after missing that all important last game of the season against Phoenix last season. Glad he's gone due to his lack of toughness but it looks like Okur has filled in nicely this season in the wussy dept.

1. Traded away the Knicks pick when it had it's highest value (in 2009)
2. Would not have given Memo an extension...just let him play out his original contract.
3. Would have kept Eric Maynor
4. Would have kept Wes Matthews
5. Traded away AK a long time ago.
6. Would have allowed Derek Fisher out of his contract ONLY if he signed a binding agreement NEVER to play for the Lakers again.

In all honesty, I would...

1. Sit down with Deron and have a brutally honest conversation in which he shares his thoughts on the state of the team, its players, coach, etc. He is what drives us going forward, not Jerry, and if we can get his insight into what he believes our flaws to be, and we can internally improve in those areas, or externally if there seems to be a consensus that internal improvement is not enough or not possible, then we go that route. We also need to directly challenge him as a leader. He needs to know he needs to improve his leadership skills, both on the court and off. Can he help make Jefferson a better player this off-season, a truly night and day better player? I think Big Al has as high a ceiling as just about anyone. Can Deron help get that out of him? Also, can Deron learn to keep his cool and remained poise in the worst of on-court situations and flourish in these spots rather than cry and wilt? He needs to know that being very good won't win a ring. He needs to be truly great. Exceptional in every way. In addition, we need to truly appease him and tell him we will do whatever it takes to do that and then stick to our guns. Lip service is not enough. Patchwork trades are not enough. That is not a criticism of our recent moves. It's just what we can't do if we want to retain him and win a ring.
2. Hold Jerry more accountable. He's been very successful but some of his decisions are quite questionable. And I would guess that no one dares question him because, well, he's Jerry and gets a free ride. That's a problem. If he doesn't like it, fire him and go after JVG. It'll sting for a few months but time heals most wounds.
3. Trade Memo for anything. Absolutely anything. One 2nd round pick. Cash. Anything. Hell, I'd trade him and a 2nd rounder for nothing. Obviously there's only a couple teams with cap space to do this without acquiring someone in return but I don't care. Get him out of here. If we can't, let his contract play out and re-sign him only on the very cheap for about two years, 4M. If he doesn't like that, let him find a better deal. He's not the key to winning a ring anyway.
4. Not trade AK unless we get something strong in return. Assuming no trade happens, re-sign him at no more than three years, 16M. If it's too low for him, let him find better money elsewhere. He gets a bad rap but he's too injured and when he does play, he rarely shows up. That's not worth 7M+ a year. Especially with a new CBA coming.
5. Re-sign Watson, Fes and Elson on the cheap for two to three years each. Watson surely deserves it. Good length is tough to come by and those guys off the bench are solid. A Deron-Watson due is stellar.

That's not enough to win a ring. But it's where we should start. I think the key to how we go forward is Jefferson. We know what we have in Deron. But do we really know what we have in Big Al? If we don't see a very noticeable difference in him next year, both physically and in his on-court IQ, we need to look to move him before next year's deadline imo. We don't have a decade for him to make marginal improvement every year. Deron's career will be over before he knows it and unless he pushes Big Al and Big Al pushes himself to be the best he can be, which imo is a great player, then he's a waste of our time.

Last edited: