What's new

I'll be okay if the Jazz stand pat at picks 5, 23, and 35.

Chris

This entire season, I -- like many of you -- have been hoping that the Jazz could somehow wind up with one of the top three picks in this year's draft. I have been hoping that they could land Jabari Parker for all of the same reasons that are well known and long established among many who think he'd be a great fit in Utah -- so I won't bore you with any repetitions. And while I would really like to end up with Parker, I actually will be okay with the Jazz standing pat at picks 5, 23, and 35.

While landing Wiggins, Embiid, or Parker would be great for the Jazz, I don't think it's worth it to sell the farm in order to acquire any of them. If, for instance, it was evident that Embiid would be selected first overall and Milwaukee wanted Wiggins, and Philly was willing to swap picks with us, then I'd do 5 and 23 for Parker, but that would be the max I would offer (and I actually think that would be too much to offer, to be honest -- there's still value at 23 in this draft). That's a deal that benefits both clubs and it's not unrealistic on either side. But, short of that happening, I don't think giving up any more for Parker is a good call -- and again, I have been hoping for him all year long.

I don't believe Parker is worth deals like (5, 23, and 35) or (5, 35, and Burks), as two of many possible examples. All Philly would have to do is trade down two spots, so they don't get to fleece my squad of all of its draft picks this year or of a key piece in our young core, just for moving two spots down. As it turns out, I don't think Philly is going to want a bunch of draft picks in exchange for their #3 anyway, as they currently have SEVEN picks in this year's draft. In my opinion, no matter what happens, Philly won't be keeping all of those picks. But enough about the 76ers.

Should the Jazz end up sticking with their current situation, I don't think it's a very bad position to be in, considering how deep this year's draft is. So, let's assume the Jazz don't trade anything or anyone, and they just stick with what they have. Here's my preference for the Jazz's moves this offseason.

SCENARIO 1:

In the draft, if Dante Exum is available at number 5, take him. Regardless of who the starters are at any given time, have Burke, Exum, and Burks split minutes in what will quickly become one of the best (and youngest) backcourts in the league. All three of them can handle the ball, run the point, and play off guard. Lots of versatility. Then take Glenn Robinson III at #23 to fill the need at small forward -- as Hayward's backup (I'll get to Hayward later). And use #35 to round out the roster, based on need.

SCENARIO 2:

If Exum's not available (and I secretly hope he's not), select Aaron Gordon. If Lindsey can somehow trade down a couple or three picks and get a little bit of value while somehow guaranteeing that they can get Gordon at that lower spot, then more power to him. Even at #5, I think Gordon's a great selection for the Jazz. In considering where the Jazz's and Aaron Gordon's deficiencies lie, I think they complement each other. I think the ceiling's very high on this kid, and his defense, quickness, and motor are undeniable.

But I believe the Jazz should play him at the small forward position. While he's not much of a shooter per se, he doesn't have to be. He can score in many other ways while he works on his jumper. With his work ethic, he will improve his touch over the next couple of years (including his absolutely abysmal FT%). I think his size and athleticism at SF, when paired with Favors and Kanter, will make the Jazz a force to be reckoned with down low. Throw Hayward into the mix at the 3 from time to time (the Aaron Gordon pick frees Hayward up to play more of the 2-guard with Burks) and you've got a pretty solid rotation from 2-5.

Add to that rotation a #23 selection of Adreian Payne to back up Favors at the power forward and you've got quite a squad. When one considers the Payne selection alongside the Aaron Gordon selection, their pros and cons are almost a perfect complement in that new front court. In addition, in some situations, Gordon has the size to play some power forward and Payne has the presence to play some center as needed from time to time. Then, as in Scenario 1, use pick #35 to round out the roster, based on need.

EITHER WAY:

Re-up Burks and Kanter. Re-sign Hayward. Lindsey's big-dollar moves last offseason with Golden State (and not re-signing Millsap/Jefferson) allows the Jazz to make all three of these roster moves comfortably, now that this offseason is upon us. When mixed with the rest of the roster that I'm talking about here, Hayward doesn't have to be the #1 scoring option. There doesn't have to be a #1 scoring option, because this -- I believe -- will be a great TEAM, with points coming from a number of different contributors each night.

If you look at the free agent market going into this summer, re-upping Hayward looks like a better and better idea. As it turns out, his value may end up being lower than what he and his agent perceived it to be last year, since he had a less than stellar season in 2013-14. The core of young players will have all been extended for the foreseeable future by the time the 2014-15 season begins -- with enough money to sign this year's top-tier lottery pick and then pursue one good free agent this summer in an area of need following the draft.

I think a shooting guard really could really help this squad. In perusing the potential free agents (and depending on how much cap space is left), the Celtics' Avery Bradley and the Thunder's Thabo Sefolosha both seemed like they could be good fits. Both are great defensively, and could be had for reasonable -- or, in the case of Bradley, slightly more than reasonable -- money. Maybe even make a play for Kendall Marshall, now that he's proven that he's not the bust that he was once perceived to be.

Sign Raul Neto and throw him into a rotation with Burke and Garrett. Or, if he's not ready, use the 35th pick to take Spencer Dinwiddie (flexibility / high upside) or Vasilje Micic (maybe the best pure passer in the whole draft), if he's still there at 35.

IN SUMMARY:

The Jazz are still in a good position if they play their cards right, even if they don't end up trading up to a better spot in the lottery. Lindsey and management have given the team a plethora of options this offseason that really could make the Jazz an exciting team to watch next year and for several years to come.

Last edited:
What's up with all these too long to read posts? This ain't BR, y'all aint columnists.

there are a couple of "standing rules" to building a contending team in NBA
1. You need stars:"big three" for example
2.. You Can pay about $40M for them
3.. Then you fit low priced role players around them; fill deficiencies , and max the chemistry

the essence of the debate is:. Do We have any stars ?
My view is that we might have a core 5 but,
-none of which is "First option"
-"Big5" is not a recipe financially that will work(even if they are"Big")

So trading up is the right plan, even at what would seem to be a large cost.. As someone noted in a previous thread , We have a lot of assets. Now is the time to use them.

My ideal situation is to stay at 5 - I think it will cost too much to move up for guys who are not sure things (unless Embiid is healthy - if he is, he'd be worth just about any price).

As far as 23 and 35 - I wouldn't mind seeing them move up to 15 or so to have a shot at LaVine, McDermott, Hood, Warren or Stauskas.

For all the people who say move up, you make it sound like it is an easy thing to do. Cavs, Bucks, and Philly are in the driver seat. No GM wants to pass on Parker, Embiid or Wiggins because if they do they will be crucified for doing so.

there are a couple of "standing rules" to building a contending team in NBA
1. You need stars:"big three" for example
2.. You Can pay about $40M for them
3.. Then you fit low priced role players around them; fill deficiencies , and max the chemistry

the essence of the debate is:. Do We have any stars ?
My view is that we might have a core 5 but,
-none of which is "First option"
-"Big5" is not a recipe financially that will work(even if they are"Big")

So trading up is the right plan, even at what would seem to be a large cost.. As someone noted in a previous thread , We have a lot of assets. Now is the time to use them.

WE once had one of the best "2-star" teams in the NBA. Even had a very good third option to complement those two. But Malone, Stockton, Hornacek never grabbed the brass ring because Utah couldn't add decent enough pieces around them. In the Eaton days, Jazz needed a better SG and a deeper bench. In the Hornacek era, the Jazz didn't have a reliable center.

Will Jabari, Wiggins or Embiid be one of the "best ever?" I'm not so sure. And there are plenty of draft experts who agree. I think guys like Vonleh and Gordon have a chance to develop into all-stars. And I absolutely LOVE Alec Burks. Alec is EASILY an 18-20/pt per scorer if moved up in priority from bench player to at least 2nd option among the starters. Hayward had a terrible year shooting-wise and still averaged 16. I don't think it's a stretch to project Burks and Hayward at 18 each, and Favors, Kanter and Burke in the 14-16 range. Now add a couple of decent bench players to replace RJ and MW and the Jazz are in business.

Certainly, if the opportunity arises to do a Harden-type deal, you jump on it. But trading the farm for a college player who is all potential is dangerous. I'm not sold on Jabari, at all, due to his lack of defense. Exum is a complete unknown. I guess Embiid would be worth the risk.

I too have also grown on Burks we have not seen what this kid can do with a proper coach.
Another spanner in the works Phily could draft Exum due to ties with Brett Brown the sixer coach, so either one of Wiggin, Parker, Embiid could drop an extra spot to four

I like the versatility of the talent the Jazz have put together so far. I like Burke's ability to run pick-and-roll and spread the floor when he's off the ball. I like Alec's ability to attack the rim and create when the shotclock is winding down. I like Hayward's versatility as a spot-up shooter and pick-and-roll initiator. I like Favors as a pick-and-roll player and dump-off scorer.

The problem here is that the Jazz need a go-to scorer to build the offense around. They currently don't have one. Kanter is a nice 2nd option, but he's not quick or athletic enough to be a first option.

So the question is---who in this draft can the Jazz get to be a go-to scorer, a guy to run the offense through?

Parker would be ideal, and this is why I think the Jazz will make an effort to trade up for him. Embiid would be great too, obviously, but he's off limits. Exum might be able to take matters into his own hands, as could Smart potentially, but I'm thinking Noah Vonleh playing from the high post might be the solution. He can shoot, drive all the way to the rim, and maybe pass.

I'm seriously OK with Gordon or Vonleh. Probably put them ahead of Exum, tbh. But I admit it's because I haven't seen Exum play.

Lindsey said he liked the NBA bodies of a couple of players who would be available. I'll bet he was talking about these two.

I think the jazz are lacking in TWO main areas.

Go to scorer and lockdown perimeter defender.

I dont see anyone currently on our roster as a lockdown perimeter defender but i do see gordon and smart with those abilities.

Alec burks has done nothing to convince me that he cant be our go to scorer so until i feel certain that burks cant fill that role for us i will believe that there is a chance we already have a guy who can fill that role.

Having said that. I would love to get parker

I think the jazz are lacking in TWO main areas.

Go to scorer and lockdown perimeter defender.

I dont see anyone currently on our roster as a lockdown perimeter defender but i do see gordon and smart with those abilities.

Alec burks has done nothing to convince me that he cant be our go to scorer so until i feel certain that burks cant fill that role for us i will believe that there is a chance we already have a guy who can fill that role.

Having said that. I would love to get parker

I would add three point shooting to that. Which i think could give kanter the spacing/kickout option to be a go to on offense.

Jimmer hasn't been "raining 3's" for quiet sometimes...

47% last year

Jimmer-Fredette.jpg