What's new

I'm calling it right now. If...

twentytwo

If the Jazz win 54+ games and if the Jazz have a positive road record...

Jerry Sloan will finally win coach of the year.

Thoughts?

Possible upsets depending on how things go:
Keith Smart
Byron Scott
Monty Williams

Problem is they always choose the new coach who leads his team to an unexpected record. No one will be surpised if we win 54, so I think it would take in the 58-60 win range for him to win it.

If Miami wins more than 50 Erik Spoelstra should win the Babysitter of the Year award. A title that Phil Jackson has won ever since his first year as a coach.

If Miami wins more than 50 Erik Spoelstra should win the Babysitter of the Year award. A title that Phil Jackson has won ever since his first year as a coach.

Totally agree, Jackson is most over rated coach ever.

Haven't always been a Sloan fan with his rigid substitution patterns and stubborn refusal to play the hot hand or find mismatches on the Court instead of always running the offense even when the Jazz have an advantage at a particular position.

However, in the last three games, Sloan has been masterful. It was like he took coaching to a new level. Calling different defenses at different times, playing D-Will the entire first quarter, taking AK out for 1 or 2 minutes rest and then right back in. I saw a coach working as hard as he could to get victories in games people had written off. It was amazing to watch. Give him coach of the year if he continues. It won't be a lifetime achievement, it will be earned.

Now If I can just get him to start my favorite line-up. Fes, Mansap, AK-47, CJ, D-will and bring Big Al off the bench for scoring, and Bell off the bench for defense, I'd vote for him as coach of the decade.

I do think that the name of the award is somewhat misleading. "Coach of the year" should not and cannot imply the coach whose team exceeds the expectations or win the most games in a season. The structure, itself, is flawed. Either the award should be renamed as "Jerry Sloan COTY" after Jerry retires or the NBA should stop giving this award.

Wah wah, this dude made a thread on the internet!

Here, reformatted to suit you god damn whiney types:

"By gum, if the Jazz win 54+ games and have a positive road record, I see a good chance for Professor Jerry Sloan to finally win coach of the year!

How do you fellows feel about this?

These other chaps also seem to have a chance at the award this fine 10-11 season!

Keith Smart
Byron Scott
Monty Williams"

xoxo

The Coach of the Year will go to the unexpected performance of Monty Williams' New Orleans Hornets or the terrific job Byron Scott did in making the Cavaliers a competitive team despite losing LeBron, and then all the ESPN talking heads (who picked the other two guys ahead of Jerry) will say I can't believe Jerry Sloan has never won coach of the year. Something's not right.

The award is a joke and I'd personally prefer that Jerry never wins it.

Jerry would not win the award if he won 73 games this year.
He and Stern spat in their palms and shook on it.

He is in the running for the lifetime award for poor substitutions and timeouts according to some on this board.

However, in the last three games, Sloan has been masterful. It was like he took coaching to a new level. Calling different defenses at different times, playing D-Will the entire first quarter, taking AK out for 1 or 2 minutes rest and then right back in. I saw a coach working as hard as he could to get victories in games people had written off. It was amazing to watch. Give him coach of the year if he continues. It won't be a lifetime achievement, it will be earned.

He always does these things, you just never took the time to notice.