What's new

I'm choosing to be optimistic about Miye Oni

SoberasHotRod

As of like 2 minutes ago. Before that I hoped the Jazz would cut him, but I don't think that happens, so I might as well hope for the best.

Here are some reasons for optimism:
- He started the season out pretty well, hit the 3 at 39% before the all star game, and had some nice defensive moments. It seems like his shot fell off and his confidence and game went with it.
- This is his first off season after getting real minutes last year. He's by all accounts a smart kid and hard worker and should be able to make some strides.
- I still have in my mind the Denver game where MPJ was going off and Miye came in and shut him down, saved the game for us.
- He consistently makes great offensive rebounding plays.
- From what I read it seemed like he had a couple of nice games in the Olympics that could boost his confidence (althought I don't think he played well in his last couple of games).

My best case scenario is still having Jared Butler show up and take the 5th guard spot, but maybe that's a lot to expect from a rookie point gaurd. Paschall on the roster probably hurts Oni's chances of too many minutes as well, but theortically an improved Miye gives us way more of what we need than Paschall.

He's not an NBA player. We've shed most of our non-NBA players and replaced them with actual NBA players, which is our biggest win this off-season. Oni can sit at the end of the bench and get 3 minutes per night in blowouts. That's about his value right now. Great completely end-of-bench guy.

He's not an NBA player. We've shed most of our non-NBA players and replaced them with actual NBA players, which is our biggest win this off-season. Oni can sit at the end of the bench and get 3 minutes per night in blowouts. That's about his value right now. Great completely end-of-bench guy.
While I think there is a high probability you could be right, I don' think it's difinitive. He still has this off season to pick his game up to where it needs to be.

Look, I'm far from a Miye homer, but where he theortically could get to as a player is exactly what we need. Even if the odds are agains it happening, I'll hold out hope for another month or so.

A couple of years ago the legendary Trevon Bluiett, JWF, NWG, Morgan, Stephen Howard and Brantley all had better numbers with the Stars than Oni. If Oni really cared about his craft he would have got his butt to Summer League.

A couple of years ago the legendary Trevon Bluiett, JWF, NWG, Morgan, Stephen Howard and Brantley all had better numbers with the Stars than Oni. If Oni really cared about his craft he would have got his butt to Summer League.

I'm sure he would have if it weren't for the Olympics. For that I don't fault him for not playing, as much as I would've liked him to play as it would've made the SL team more interesting, it just wasn't realistic for him to.

I don’t think he can overcome some of his mental obstacles. He’s full of anxiety out there and it leads to bricking shots, handling the ball like it’s a hot potato, and fouling on defense.

He has the body and the athleticism but what good is it when he doesn’t have it between the ears.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I'm sure he would have if it weren't for the Olympics. For that I don't fault him for not playing, as much as I would've liked him to play as it would've made the SL team more interesting, it just wasn't realistic for him to.
The only thing I will say about that is that there were some players on other NBA teams in SL that also played in the Olympics. Maybe he was injured or sick. IDK.

The most hopeful thing I can point to is that he won the starting job for the Nigerian team. If he can learn to not foul on D he's a lot more useful.

I just think he has some form of yips on the court. That or the game just is too fast for him.

The only thing I will say about that is that there were some players on other NBA teams in SL that also played in the Olympics. Maybe he was injured or sick. IDK.

Which I can't think of any players specifically but yeah that did cross my mind if other players cameback early to play in the Vegas SL. However I also know (see Butler for example) that since he had not been here to be training and practicing with the team the Jazz may also not want to risk injury or just playing on the team joining so late.

Which I can't think of any players specifically but yeah that did cross my mind if other players cameback early to play in the Vegas SL. However I also know (see Butler for example) that since he had not been here to be training and practicing with the team the Jazz may also not want to risk injury or just playing on the team joining so late.
Achiuwa, I believe.

To be fair to Oni, it's much less common for guys going into their third year to be in summer league if they've been in the rotation (though just semi-rotation in Oni's case). Not at all uncommon for guys going into their 2nd year, such as Achiuwa.

He has almost no game off the dribble. He's strictly a spot-up 3/D guy. That's fine, but don't be surprised if Jared Butler starts taking his minutes by mid-year.

He still has potential. He has shown good defense at times. I don't think his shot is broken just overthinking the game. I would keep him one more year and see if he develops more.

I don’t think he has the change of speed and direction necessary to be a good playmaker or create his own shot consistently, so his nba career depends entirely on his ability to defend at a high level (without fouling) and hit catch-n-shoot 3s at around 40%.

It’s up to Ryan if he wants to see one more year of a player with that ceiling, given all the tax implications.

I’m pretty meh on the whole situation, but I am still somewhat curious about Oni’s defense. And I don’t think he’s a ballstopper, so...

You don't believe DL when he said he had the potential to be an elite NBA defender? That last ingredient of the kak.