What's new

I'm getting PRK. Anyone have any advice?

Archie Moses

So, I was going to get lasic, but my eyes are too thin so they suggested getting PRK. They explained it's a little more painful and takes a little longer to get the final results, but is just as good. Has anyone else every had PRK? What should I expect?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daIvH077J9c

PRK: The Original Laser
Eye SurgeryBy Liz Segre; reviewed by Charles Slonim, MD

PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) once was the most common refractive surgery procedure before LASIK was developed as a more popular alternative.

Both PRK and LASIK are grouped under the umbrella "laser eye surgery," but each is a little different when it comes to advantages and disadvantages.

LASIK patients have less discomfort and obtain good vision more quickly — whereas, improvement with PRK is gradual and takes days, weeks or even months. But many surgeons prefer PRK in circumstances such as when patients have thin corneas.

PRK was invented in the early 1980s. The first FDA approval of a laser for PRK was in 1995, but the procedure was practiced in other countries for years. In fact, many Americans had the surgery done in Canada before it was available in the United States.

PRK is performed with an excimer laser, which uses a cool ultraviolet light beam to precisely remove ("ablate") very tiny bits of tissue from the surface of the cornea in order to reshape it. When you reshape the cornea in the right way, it more precisely focuses light into the eye and onto the retina, providing clearer vision than before.

Both nearsighted and farsighted people can benefit from PRK. With nearsighted people, the goal is to flatten the too-steep cornea; with farsighted people, a steeper cornea is desired. Also, excimer lasers can correct astigmatism, by smoothing an irregular cornea into a more normal shape.

I'd suggest waiting until after the honeymoon...

seriously, I think this is what a friend of mine had two years ago - - she'd been planning to get the Lasix surgery but wasn't eligible for some reason. at any rate, I know she's been pleased overall. She had some issues with her insurance company and payment, but I'm not sure if that was related to this specific procedure or what.

oh and CONGRATULATIONS! Hope you have a wonderful, beautiful wedding and a grand time on your honeymoon, wherever it is. (I don't recall that you ever mentioned specifically what you decided to do...)

Well at least the eye institutes in Utah are good enough for you. Unlike Fisher`s daughter.

Sorry had to do it!

jesus man don't be shown me no eye surgery when i've only had two cups of coffee this morning. for real *****. dayum.

Hey Archie. I've had PRK. I do have some advice. First of all, be prepared to spend a couple of days basically blind, and in tremendous pain. Make sure to fill the pain prescriptions they give you, and eat that **** like candy. This ain't no joke. I tried to do it without painkillers. That was dumb of me. To pass the time, I'd suggest getting your hands maybe on several audio books.

My second piece of advice is, when they bring you into the room, and have you stare at that blinking red light, be aware that the procedure is starting. They didn't really even explain this to me. They were like, "Look at the light," and I said, "What happens if I look away from the light? Will it automatically shut down?" And they said, "No, you just won't be able to see as well." And I can see fine, now, but I did look away from the light, almost involuntarily and I do get the dreaded "halo effect" when I see lights at night. I don't mind it so much, I've gotten used to it, but I'm slightly resentful of the fact that before I went in there, they didn't really explain what I was going to experience enough to prepare me.

So take my advice: Focus, concentrate, use all your powers of mind, to focus on that clicking red blinking light -- and do not look away.

Hey Archie. I've had PRK. I do have some advice. First of all, be prepared to spend a couple of days basically blind, and in tremendous pain. Make sure to fill the pain prescriptions they give you, and eat that **** like candy. This ain't no joke. I tried to do it without painkillers. That was dumb of me. To pass the time, I'd suggest getting your hands maybe on several audio books.

My second piece of advice is, when they bring you into the room, and have you stare at that blinking red light, be aware that the procedure is starting. They didn't really even explain this to me. They were like, "Look at the light," and I said, "What happens if I look away from the light? Will it automatically shut down?" And they said, "No, you just won't be able to see as well." And I can see fine, now, but I did look away from the light, almost involuntarily and I do get the dreaded "halo effect" when I see lights at night. I don't mind it so much, I've gotten used to it, but I'm slightly resentful of the fact that before I went in there, they didn't really explain what I was going to experience enough to prepare me.

So take my advice: Focus, concentrate, use all your powers of mind, to focus on that clicking red blinking light -- and do not look away.

This is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the advice.

I'd suggest waiting until after the honeymoon...

seriously, I think this is what a friend of mine had two years ago - - she'd been planning to get the Lasix surgery but wasn't eligible for some reason. at any rate, I know she's been pleased overall. She had some issues with her insurance company and payment, but I'm not sure if that was related to this specific procedure or what.

oh and CONGRATULATIONS! Hope you have a wonderful, beautiful wedding and a grand time on your honeymoon, wherever it is. (I don't recall that you ever mentioned specifically what you decided to do...)

Yeah, I'm waiting until after the honeymoon. Also, thanks, moe. That was really sweet.

This is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the advice.

Imagine if you went blind and could never see your hot wife ever again. That should be like Mask. You'd be the blind chick who loved horses (you love goats) and your wife would suddenly become Rocky Dennis.

Here's a video from my procedure, not that you wanted to see it or anything. I see perfect with my left eye already and my right eye is still a little fuzzy, but it's supposed to heal over the next few months and the fuzz should go away. I had the halo's and starburst for the first few weeks, but they are slowly going away. It's nice being able to wake up and see. I wish I had gotten this done a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCxr9PLGOpQ

LOL, you folks are harsh...

but maybe it can be measured as an inverse relationship to the amount of time spent on message boards?