What's new

I'm starting to like this Hayward kid...

akirac73

So he'll never be an all-star, an elite shooter like a Horny or Korver, or the second coming of Bird, Pippen, Maravich, or God (I'm sure I'm missing some other comparisons I've heard here...too many to keep track of), and he's still turnover prone...but I'm okay with it. What really impresses me the most about the 2014-15 version of Gordon Hayward is, BY FAR, his tremendously improved strength. The dude plays like a beast now, fearlessly attacking he rim, and either scoring or going to the line whenever venturing into the paint. Last season, one of my big pet peeves about Hayward was his ineffectiveness in the paint and not being able finish. Honestly, he played (and looked) like a sissy last season, absolutely not the case this season. This kid is making me a fan...

Any good suggestions on where I can get a Hayward jersey in XXL? :D

He is also playing very smart and under control. Really cool to watch him work the defense and usually get a really nice shot. And his ability and willingness to take over in the 4th.

From Andy Larsen:

"3. Gordon Hayward is a supernova.

Yeah, he didn’t get voted into the All-Star game, and no, he didn’t really deserve to be with the incredible competition in the Western Conference. But Gordon Hayward has it all. His stat line of 26 points, 15 rebounds2, 6 assists, 3 steals absolutely displays his incredible versatility, making an impact on all facets of the game like very few others can. Most impressive to me, though, was how he got his points: going on the drive, bouncing off of some of the league’s best defenders to free up space for himself, then making those shots with relative ease.

But it’s not just the scoring: Hayward’s presence makes the team around him better. When Hayward’s off the floor, the Jazz crater, getting outscored by 10.9 points per 100 possessions. That’s easily the lowest of any player3. But when he’s on the floor, the Jazz are essentially an average team, only being outscored by 0.4 points per 100 possessions. When Hayward’s on the floor, the Jazz take more shots, make a higher percentage of those shots, rebound more shots, get more assists, commit fewer turnovers, commit fewer fouls, draw more fouls, and even make a higher percentage of those FTs. It’s comprehensive.

If you’ve been reading this site for a while, the above is not a surprise to you. We’ve pointed it out before. But I continue to run into people in the real world who somehow think that Hayward is overpaid, a bad player, a selfish player, a cancer, or any combination of the previous. And I need those people to realize the error of their ways, apologize, repent, and find the truth. So, I’m starting a hashtag campaign, and am welcoming your suggestions. Right now, I have #DissuadeTheCommonersFromTheirFoolishHaywardFalsehoods, but I suspect there’s something snappier. Clearly, I need help. Please submit yours in the comments. And when you run into someone who has #HalfwitHaywardHate, remember: it’s your duty to make a difference."

Does anyone else find I amusing that akirac was pretty much the most outspoken on the board in his hayward hate last year and during the offseason?

Does anyone else find I amusing that akirac was pretty much the most outspoken on the board in his hayward hate last year and during the offseason?

Indeed, he is no longer one of the posters I take seriously. For this post though we'll give him a golf clap.

I like it when Hayward passes the ball during crunch time. Wished it happened more often...

But I continue to run into people in the real world who somehow think that Hayward is overpaid, a bad player, a selfish player, a cancer, or any combination of the previous.

Idiots.
Though I could see someone thinking he is overpaid.... I don't think so, but I could understand that opinion.
Anyone who things he is a bad player, selfish, or a cancer is dumb

I find it refreshing that Akirac has seen the light, confessed the error of his ways, and is now on the road to redemption.

I was outspoken on him being overpaid. In the end, though, I think I voted for matching an offer. Just can't lose a player like GH when you have a chance to match. At WORST, he plays like he did last season, never improves, and the Jazz have a large contract on their hands for four years. That's not very long, especially with a lot of extra cap space in 2 years. He's really exploded from last year to this one, with his physicality and that step-back jumper. And his shooting percentages have rebounded to where they need to be (45%/38%). If he continues to improve along with the rest of the team we'll hopefully have something special - provided we can keep him in 3 years.

From his first game as a Jazz man, I liked the way Gordon played. Still, I never thought he deserved max money because I believed his learning curve was nearing a plateau, based on his minimal improvement in years 3 and 4.
-
I am happy to say I was wrong. The bulked seriously helped, but I wonder for how much of Gordon's improvementi is Quin responsible? Gordon is very bright and I always thought he would respond well to good coaching. Maybe that is what Gordon was missing before this season?

Hayward has become the player everyone wanted him to become in their dreams. I was skeptical, and am happy that it eventually was misplaced skepticism.