What's new

I'm still behind this team 100%

If this team can't magically learn to play defense between now and April, they're toast in the playoffs. Sloan was a defense-minded coach. With him gone, what impetus is there for the team to learn defense now? Or will they try to be like the Warriors in 06-07 and out-gun the other team? We don't have the shooters for that.

Are you talking about the coach that believed in doubling down anytime the ball went inside whether the man was average, below average or having an off night shooting allowing 3 point shooters to have a field day against us? Or are you talking about the coach that never developed Fes with playing time, even though our defense gives up less points when he plays big minutes? Just wondering?

thats what is claimed. we have never been an elite defensive team. he was more of a hard-working-minded coach than anything. and i agree, without some sort of change, they will be dead in the water come april.

Wrong. We spent many years as one of the leagues premier defensive teams especially during the Stockton and Malone days. It was the hallmark of a Jerry Sloan team. I remember 3 years ago or so when everyone was surprised we were one of the top offensive teams, because of our defensive prowess in the past. But it had slipped dramatically in the past decade, moving from working hard to stay between your man and the basket, playing the passing lanes, bumping and knocking players around some, and help defense to just simply slapping people. I think Sloan's defense, just like the pick and roll and the advent of zone defenses, suffered due to the new rules (hand-check, can't touch anyone anywhere with your hands, flopping allowed, et al). Sloan just never adjusted to the new NBA really.

If anything, I'm more behind the team today than yesterday. Because I now believe it really has a chance to get better. This team has more talent than it is given credit for. What it didn't have was a coach that wanted to adapt his system to it. Or as Jerry said, expend the 'energy' needed to get the most out of it. I really mean no disrespect by that. But it's the truth.

Thriller, based on what? Some ESPN rumor mill. I will always be a Jazz fan. I don't care if the team moves from SLC, or changes a coach or if a player leaves. I don't take it personally that a certain player or coach leaves. I am a jazz fan and I will always cheer for the TEAM. I want the Jazz to play well and I would love it if all Jazz fans would support the team instead of individual players or coaches but I know that's not the case.

I am looking forward to Jazz playing again but I am not really looking forward to bitter Jazz fans arguing about who was to blame. The next few weeks will be hard because if the Jazz start win then the Sloan haters will come out and if the Jazz start losing the DW haters will come out. Remember Jazz nation, "A house divided .. " So I am requesting that all of Jazz nation put any bitterness behind them and Unite as Jazz fans to cheer the team on for the rest of the year. Go JAZZ!!! (Fan for life).

You mean, we can't win with CJ and Watson being the only effective bench players...well at least every 3 games or so?
This is quite possibly the WEAKEST team from 1-10 the Utah Jazz have EVER fielded. That Sloan lasted this long into the season is miraculous. Deron didn't force Sloan out, it was Miller and KOC for not providing Jerry with 2-3 more decent players.

Wrong. We spent many years as one of the leagues premier defensive teams...
But it had slipped dramatically in the past decade, moving from working hard to stay between your man and the basket, playing the passing lanes, bumping and knocking players around some, and help defense to just simply slapping people. I think Sloan's defense, just like the pick and roll and the advent of zone defenses, suffered due to the new rules (hand-check, can't touch anyone anywhere with your hands, flopping allowed, et al). Sloan just never adjusted to the new NBA really.

to me, these two posts seem to describe the situation more accurately than most - - and it certainly is not fair to "blame" this on D-Will. Certainly Deron and Jerry had their clashes, and certainly those clashes had a cumulative effect - - but I still feel that the primary cause of the team's woes this season is due to the major changes in player personnel, and the difficulties those changes brought. Not that there was necessarily much that could be done about that, I really don't know.

My spin on the story is that Jerry Sloan realized that he just didn't have the energy or enthusiasm to make the necessary changes to accommodate the differences in the game and the personnel. And for the good of the team, I hope much of this "finger-pointing" comes to an end.

That might be true for SLC locals. But for a lot of other fans like me, Sloan was one of the vestiges of the Golden era besides John and Karl. He brought a certain personality to the team and he was a likeable guy himself. He defined the Jazz and that's the Jazz we have liked and rooted for all these years. This is not just about replacing a coach. This is about replacing the philosophy behind Jazz basketball and maybe the running of the franchise itself in some ways. This is a HUGE departure.
I am as feeling as sad as I felt in 2003 when John/Karl left. Even more, because atleast they had the time to plan their departure and leave on their own terms. You dont want an icon to go out like this.

Did John and Karl leave on their own terms? I think emotion is fogging up your memory. Stockton left because there was a lot of in fighting going on and he knew the Jazz were no longer contenders. Karl wasn't actually wanted back from many of the reports. The Jazz new they had to get on with life with John/Karl. I think a main reason why Karl went to the Lakers was because he didn't want to play without John and be on a rebuilding team. Everything ends and sometimes change is good and it allows us other memories. Layden went out the same way as Jerry. One day he just had enough so perhaps this is the way Jazz icons want it to be. Anyways, I wish Jerry well and now its time for a new beginning.

This team will keep pushing and life will continue to roll forward. I just hope that fans don't become so attached to players or coaches that they forget the big picture.

For some people the big picture *is* certain players or coaches. We can't really fault them for that, but we can try to help them get out of the way when the times, they are a changin'.

I am looking forward to Jazz playing again but I am not really looking forward to bitter Jazz fans arguing about who was to blame. The next few weeks will be hard because if the Jazz start win then the Sloan haters will come out and if the Jazz start losing the DW haters will come out. Remember Jazz nation, "A house divided .. " So I am requesting that all of Jazz nation put any bitterness behind them and Unite as Jazz fans to cheer the team on for the rest of the year. Go JAZZ!!! (Fan for life).

Sign me up.