What's new

"In Favors and Kanter We Trust" article

COJazz44

https://weareutahjazz.com/2013/03/06/in-favors-and-kanter-we-trust/

Let me break down the worst parts:
Jazz fans are frustrated with the lack of minutes they are getting, which is understandable, but they don’t understand how good they have it. The Jazz have been in the playoffs every year since 1984, except four seasons and three of those came following the departure of Stockton and Malone and the fourth was the season Deron Williams was traded. They cheer for an organization that is all about winning every single game no matter what; the reason Coach Corbin sticks with his veterans to get most of the minutes.

These guys have been built up as pillars and the future of the franchise so fans want to see the dividends pay off now. Coach Corbin has a problem most coaches would die for, too much depth. Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap are both very solid players playing in front of these young guns. It is hard to know exactly what you would get from Favors and Kanter if they were to be in the starting lineup 82 nights a year, but with the vets you know exactly what you are getting. Millsap and Jefferson are proven commodities in this league that produce night in and night out.

So the key here is patience, Jazz fans. Trust has to be placed in the organization and they haven’t given you any reason not to trust them in the past. Think about what a potential starting lineup could feature in the next few years with Burks at the two, Hawyard the three and Favors and Kanter being used inter-changeably at the four and five.

The future of the Utah Jazz is a bright one. Add in a point guard in the draft or via free agency and this starting lineup can make some noise. Sure, they will have their lumps, but it will be learning experience that will only help them, as they potentially become a contender in the loaded west.

Thoughts?

My thoughts is this some Jazz staff writer sending out management propaganda. In two years Favors could be gone because no matter what he does he can't get off the bench. The argument that we know what we can expect from Millsap and AJ is a dumb argument. Most people know that Millsap and AJ are complementary players and are as good as they are going to get. Millsap could be a big piece of a championship team but more as a 6th man and not a starting PF. Jefferson's defense is not championship caliber and his offense bogs down the flow of the Jazz offense.

What we know about Favors and Kanter is both of them are capable of putting up big numbers with less shots. Yes they have been inconsistent but I believe that is a by product of inconsistent minutes. We really don't know what they are capable of but waiting another two years seems to be a ridiculous thing to do. I believe the waiting is at the heart of most fans frustrations (knowing the weakness of AL and Millsap too). Both of these guys have way more potential than either AJ/Millsap and right now cost a lot less.

Making playoffs is nice but it isn't winning basketball. Unless your team wins a championship then all your team is doing is playing average basketball to get into the playoffs. I have been plenty patient considering the fact that I've been a fan since they moved to SLC and I am still waiting for a championship.

Also the more minutes for Favors and Kanter=playoffs.

This article only makes sense if you are saying Jefferson is our best shot for the playoffs, but in the eyes of most fans that's not the case.

Essentially, the article does sound a little lame, But I will admit that the organzation hasn't really given me a reason to doubt them. I think the Jazz are definitely one of the best organizations in the league.

He is right about Al and Sap contributing consistently, but the main reason is that the Jazz don't hold another chance for offense right now. Even if they do, the game plan works on feeding them. But other than a solid passfirst pg that knows his team closely, Jazz need hustle which is a thing the youngsters serve every minute they are on the floor. Favors and Kanter showed they can score and rebound efficiently, build confidence in less time than the management thinks and play hustle defense, fight and strive for the win. I think it's the time to give the young duo their place.

On the other hand though, the author might be a member of the Corbins.

Essentially, the article does sound a little lame, But I will admit that the organzation hasn't really given me a reason to doubt them. I think the Jazz are definitely one of the best organizations in the league.
Except for San Antonio, LA, Boston, Miami, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Chicago (all having won championships while the Jazz were jackpotting around). And I'd defintely now add OKC and probably Indiana, Memphis and the Clippers. I know, I said THE CLIPPERS. Never thought I do that, but LAC has made a commitment to winning. Honorable mention to the Knicks and Nets. At least they're trying!

Jazz have played fantastic bball without Al: 2-1 and should be 3-0 if not for Ty. I'll bet this is Locke writing under a pseudonym.

Except for San Antonio, LA, Boston, Miami, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Chicago (all having won championships while the Jazz were jackpotting around). And I'd defintely now add OKC and probably Indiana, Memphis and the Clippers. I know, I said THE CLIPPERS. Never thought I do that, but LAC has made a commitment to winning. Honorable mention to the Knicks and Nets. At least they're trying!

Jazz have played fantastic bball without Al: 2-1 and should be 3-0 if not for Ty. I'll be this is Locke writing under a pseudonym.

All the bolded teams are not better organizations. You have to be good for an extended period of time, and not only be good because you signed the 3 best FA's one year. Come on man.

All the bolded teams are not better organizations. You have to be good for an extended period of time, and not only be good because you signed the 3 best FA's one year. Come on man.
So you'd rather be a fringe playoff team for years and years rather than make moves to be a CHAMPION, then rebuild again as needed? Sorry, no one has reunions for the teams that ALMOST made it. But CHAMPIONS are remembered FOREVER!

Jazz organization grew lazy because they HAD - and WASTED - two of the greatest talents in NBA history. Hornacek was a good talent to bring in, but who were the others? An aging Antoine Carr, Mike Brown, Ty Corbin, Chris Morris. Had the Jazz not had the unbelievable fortune of having 2 HOF'ers, Utah would be considered one of the WORST organizations in the NBA.

Jazz have played fantastic bball without Al: 2-1 and should be 3-0 if not for Ty. I'll bet this is Locke writing under a pseudonym.

Worst post ever.

You really think the Knicks and the Clippers might be a better organization than the Jazz? Jump off a cliff.

So you'd rather be a fringe playoff team for years and years rather than make moves to be a CHAMPION, then rebuild again as needed? Sorry, no one has reunions for the teams that ALMOST made it. But CHAMPIONS are remembered FOREVER!

LA, Boston and Miami bought theirs. San Antonio got lucky by scoring a #1 pick and then made some great great great draft picks, Parker and Ginobli. Houston lucked into the #1 pick and also isn't Utah so players don't mind going to play there. Dallas made good pick in Nowitzki and then signed all the necessary pieces, once again players are fine playing in Dallas. Chicago had MJ, then got lucky and got the #1 pick. Detroit got lucky, not sure how else to explain that.

The Jazz will only win a championship if we get extremely lucky ... thats just how it is.

Utah has a commitment to winning, they just have more patience than most teams do.

Dallas is the only team I would consider to really have a huge advantage in "commitment to winning" over Utah. Cuban will spend money like a mother ****er.

LA, Boston and Miami bought theirs. San Antonio got lucky by scoring a #1 pick and then made some great great great draft picks, Parker and Ginobli. Houston lucked into the #1 pick and also isn't Utah so players don't mind going to play there. Dallas made good pick in Nowitzki and then signed all the necessary pieces, once again players are fine playing in Dallas. Chicago had MJ, then got lucky and got the #1 pick. Detroit got lucky, not sure how else to explain that.

The Jazz will only win a championship if we get extremely lucky ... thats just how it is.
Utah got lucky and picked TWO HOF'ers. But then FAILED to surround those guys with sufficient talent. So talk all you want about LUCK. Utah got lucky as well. But Larry H. was too focused on the bottom line (and he admits $ was the main goal...not winning). Has Greg shown us anything different?

Worst post ever.

You really think the Knicks and the Clippers might be a better organization than the Jazz? Jump off a cliff.
They have a commitment to at least TRYING to compete for a championship. In my book, that's a better organization than one that is ok with just making the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed, just because it will increase the profit going to the owners.

Utah got lucky and picked TWO HOF'ers. But then FAILED to surround those guys with sufficient talent. So talk all you want about LUCK. Utah got lucky as well. But Larry H. was too focused on the bottom line (and he admits $ was the main goal...not winning). Has Greg shown us anything different?

As much as I hate Greg, the Jazz were over the salary cap by a long ways for awhile. Its not like he hasn't spent any money. Do your research. The Jazz did luck into those picks and we were great because of them. The fact that the Jazz are even still semi relevant is a miracle.

Worst post ever.

I'd jump off the cliff, but there is a whole basketball team dressed in green uni's that is going off it as I type. I'll get back to you when they're finally out of the way.

Think it's a good article. There's no question that Favors and Kanter will probably struggle a little with big minutes playing big mins. every game. What I don't agree with is the let's be patient part. They may struggle to be consistent as all young players do, but they have to start somewhere. Last year there were too many inconsistencies for big minutes especially Kanter, but both have improved at a high rate this year.

This year Favors should've started over Millsap, and Kanter received at the very least 20 minutes a game. I don't think most rookies should start and get big minutes right a way, so they don't learn bad habits and fail to learn winning basketball. As a rookie, they usually only care about scoring, but forcing them to sit and watch and learn from vets is great for them at the beginning of their development. I thought the jazz making the playoffs was great for there development especially for Favors who was one of the few bright spots. In that short short series. That's patience! This year is just overkill. When either Kanter or Favors is hot give them more minutes and less when they don't play well. Favors should've at some point come back into the bucks game. That was complete ********* and Corbin should get on his bloody knees and beg for forgiveness. It's not like Al and Millsap are superstars that deserve to play regardless of how they play from game to game.

If Al and Sap sign long term contracts with us I will lose it

As much as I hate Greg, the Jazz were over the salary cap by a long ways for awhile. Its not like he hasn't spent any money. Do your research. The Jazz did luck into those picks and we were great because of them. The fact that the Jazz are even still semi relevant is a miracle.
Completely self-inflicted. The Jazz had an opportunity to get rid of AK and didn't. Okur was signed to an unwise extension, as was a brittle Harpring. Poor management decisions. Oh yeah, shouldn't decision-making be part of the "good organization" evaluation?

Completely self-inflicted. The Jazz had an opportunity to get rid of AK and didn't. Okur was signed to an unwise extension, as was a brittle Harpring. Poor management decisions. Oh yeah, shouldn't decision-making be part of the "good organization" evaluation?

How could we have gotten rid of AK exactly? Okur getting hurt was a fluke and Harprings contract hardly handcuffed the jazz. Even so, you cant expect that management to be perfect, you just have to expect them to be good, and the Jazz have very good management.

Think it's a good article. There's no question that Favors and Kanter will probably struggle a little with big minutes playing big mins. every game. What I don't agree with is the let's be patient part. They may struggle to be consistent as all young players do, but they have to start somewhere. Last year there were too many inconsistencies for big minutes especially Kanter, but both have improved at a high rate this year.

This year Favors should've started over Millsap, and Kanter received at the very least 20 minutes a game. I don't think most rookies should start and get big minutes right a way, so they don't learn bad habits and fail to learn winning basketball. As a rookie, they usually only care about scoring, but forcing them to sit and watch and learn from vets is great for them at the beginning of their development. I thought the jazz making the playoffs was great for there development especially for Favors who was one of the few bright spots. In that short short series. That's patience! This year is just overkill. When either Kanter or Favors is hot give them more minutes and less when they don't play well. Favors should've at some point come back into the bucks game. That was complete ********* and Corbin should get on his bloody knees and beg for forgiveness. It's not like Al and Millsap are superstars that deserve to play regardless of how they play from game to game.

If Al and Sap sign long term contracts with us I will lose it

Except if Sap signs a $9m per to come off the bench with a willingness to backup & help our young talent grow.

Doubt that'll happen though, but you never know.