What's new

In retrospect, what would you have given to get Harden?

Deron Williams

Assume the offer would have to be more than Martin, Lamb & the pick that became Adams and Utah would have had to tie up future cap space with a max deal for JH.

How many of the young players would you have been willing to give up to make the deal?

Pick any three of Burks, hayward, kanter, favors, draft pick.... I would give up any 3 of those for harden

Kanter, burks and a pick. We'd be a 3 seed or better in the West this year.

PG-Some vet (or maybe even Burke here. We traded 14 and 21 for Burke. We might have been able to move 21 and this year's GS pick for Burke)
SG-Harden
SF-Hayward
PF-Millsap/Marvin
C-Favors/Gobert

We are a top 3 team in the west with Harden.

PG-Some vet (or maybe even Burke here. We traded 14 and 21 for Burke. We might have been able to move 21 and this year's GS pick for Burke)
SG-Harden
SF-Hayward
PF-Millsap/Marvin
C-Favors/Gobert

a 3rd seed? with corbin

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahhhaha.

ven with the original dream team in their prime corbin would not be able to get home court advantage

SG-Harden
SF-Hayward
PF-Millsap/Marvin
C-Favors/Gobert

I don't think we had this years GS pick at the time of the draft. Could be wrong though.

a 3rd seed? with corbin

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahhhaha.

ven with the original dream team in their prime corbin would not be able to get home court advantage

If you have Harden, you don't still have Corbin.

Locke has implied that the Jazz DID make an offer for Harden and OKC preferred our deal to the one Houston offered. But he wouldn't sign an extension with us.

Locke has implied that the Jazz DID make an offer for Harden and OKC preferred our deal to the one Houston offered. But he wouldn't sign an extension with us.

So he would have taken the QO and lost a ****load of money to get away from Utah? Yeah, right.

So he would have taken the QO and lost a ****load of money to get away from Utah? Yeah, right.

Both good points. But I think there's room for the truth to be something between the two of them. Teams aren't exactly thrilled to take on players that threaten to not even show up because why would they be? I think Harden played some brinksmanship which is kind of his right and the Jazz blinked.

Also, there is no way in hell that Kanter and filler would've netted Harden. No way in hell. Maybe that's what the Jazz offered and OKC hung up.

And I don't know who I would've sent. If we're going to fantasize, then I'd have traded AL for Kevin Martin straight across (which seems possible, honestly), then traded Martin with Burks (or whatever) to OKC. And the Jazz get the GSW pick in '12 at #8 and take Andre Drummond. And go back to 2011, trade Devin Harris to the Clippers for Baron Davis' contract and their unprotected pick (Kyrie Irving [who I still believe in]), trade from the late lottery into a couple of extremely late first-rounders and get Jimmy Butler and Nikola Mirotic, then trade Al to Indiana for Roy Hibbert. They also keep Millsap. And hire Hornacek or Brad Stevens last year. And pickup Kendall Marshall off the scrap-heap. And they trade for Steve Nash's contract, only to find that he can still play at least good spot minutes and helps as a mentor/quasi-coach.

I would for sure that

Going forward, the Jazz should get lucky by Curry suffering a severe enough injury to drop their pick into the lottery and that pick hits like the Bulls' in '08 and the Jazz getting lucky like in '11, then draft Embiid and Parker. They then trade Favors for Millsap (who immediately signs the fattest extension possible [something like $40 million over the next four years]) and Korver. They then don't re-sign Corbin and Lowe, and trade Burks, Hayward (or at least his agency rights), and Evans to the Bulls for Thibodeau, Butler, and Boozer's contract (who then use those pieces to grab Carmello in a [sign-and-]trade or maybe they have enough money to sign Carmello outright). The Jazz then hire Phil Johnson as lead assistant (and offensive coordinator) then bring Mike Dunlap on board (for wacky theories and philosophies and a mind for player-development). Thibodeau already owns Boozer's nuts, so he'll be a key bench guy, but not much more.

After waiving Marvin's Bird Rights to absorb Boozer's salary, the Jazz sign Marv to a sensible 4/20 deal. Parker becomes a 6' 8" hybrid forward version of Stephen Curry but with a post game to hurt smaller players guarding him. Millsap is used as the counter-forward to punish his matchup in a similar way (as he can spread the floor and also almost anything else). Embiid becomes the best center in the NBA that is both the anchor on defense and sun on offense. Burke adjusts to the rigors and becomes a PG that does well in the PnR and in transition in almost every way offensively, has some hero in him, but also can get open and shoot the ball well off the catch. Butler continues on his path of becoming perhaps the best perimeter defender in the league for a couple of years, but he finds his shot and polishes his already-good all-around game and positional versatiliy. Korver keeps doing what he's been doing. Marv becomes a useful and consistent role player that brings emotion, defense, shooting, and positional versatility. Boozer teaches Kanter a much-needed nuanced understanding of the game, plays well in a pure substitute role, and gets even better at waving a towel and being funny. Kanter continues to improve and will take all of Boozer's minutes when he's gone. Gobert will get some chances, and he will get better as well.

Burke/some vet or draft pick
Butler/Korver
Parker/Marv/Millsap
Millsap/Boozer/Marv
Embiid/Kanter/Gobert

Jazz win the next all champ[ionsijp

I would have given them Hayward + Kanter and taken back Harden + Perkins contract.

And btw: He would have been forced to sign an extension here since the Jazz had his restricted rights. Plus if the Jazz are the only team that offers him max he would have signed here without hesitation.

There is no way Utah was worried about the extension. Harden didn't have a choice. Utah undervalued Harden and didn't think he would end up the best SG in basketball. It's that plain and simple. Utah gambled and lost big time.