What's new

Injuries and comebacks

Speaking of athletic dudes Lebron is a true iron man. I don't think he's ever had a significant injury all while playing a ton of minutes since he was 18. Dude is a freak.

Totally random, but one thing Stockton, Malone and LeBron have in common is none have chicken legs. Guys with long chicken legs, IMO, are at a much greater risk of getting injured - Mcgrady, Roy, Jermaine O' Neil.

Also, Malone and LeBron are physical beasts and despite getting hit around the basket both had/have body control and are able to withstand hits and not land awkwardly.

Totally random, but one thing Stockton, Malone and LeBron have in common is none have chicken legs. Guys with long chicken legs, IMO, are at a much greater risk of getting injured - Mcgrady, Roy, Jermaine O' Neil.

Also, Malone and LeBron are physical beasts and despite getting hit around the basket both had/have body control and are able to withstand hits and not land awkwardly.
Those guys didn't have chicken legs.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Those guys didn't have chicken legs.

Total chicken legs:

sportsmcgrady_t440.jpg

The problem with Burks is that he can never seem to do anything "easy." All his acrobatics generally put him on the floor beyond the baseline. And that means his man is halfway down the court by the time Alec picks himself up off the court.

I really don't care what his maximum vert is. Can he score? Can he defend? I wouldn't say Ingles is a very athletic player. But I'd take him every day over Alec.

The problem with Burks is that he can never seem to do anything "easy." All his acrobatics generally put him on the floor beyond the baseline. And that means his man is halfway down the court by the time Alec picks himself up off the court.

I really don't care what his maximum vert is. Can he score? Can he defend? I wouldn't say Ingles is a very athletic player. But I'd take him every day over Alec.

The trouble is that we are seeing Alec through the perspective of his injuries and looking at all his negatives. Can he score, yes, no doubt. Before the injuries he was on his way to being a 20 pts pg player. Can he defend? He certainly has the quickness to be a good defender. It seems since the injuries that he has lost some confidence and at the same time is unsure of his role on the team.

The trouble is that we are seeing Alec through the perspective of his injuries and looking at all his negatives. Can he score, yes, no doubt. Before the injuries he was on his way to being a 20 pts pg player. Can he defend? He certainly has the quickness to be a good defender. It seems since the injuries that he has lost some confidence and at the same time is unsure of his role on the team.
He was never good

Yep, that dude won the gene lottery. He could have chosen another sport as well to dominate, like football. He never even lifted weights until he was in the NBA. Not that he didn't work to get where he is at but any person if they had that kind of genetics would be a professional athlete.

Yep, I had always hoped he would pull a Jordan and take time off to play wide receiver. I'm confident he could be an all-pro year one he's just so physically gifted. Calvin Johnson was a freak and was just 6'5", 236 pounds. Randy Moss was 6'4", 210.

Lebron is 6'8", 250. His sheer size difference would allow him a mismatch every snap.

And fwiw, everyone always said he should be a tight end. I didn't get that. He doesn't have the size (muscle) to be a tight end and block and he would take a beating within the hashes. You could obviously use him as an h-back more so and he'd have solid mismatches and most lbs and dbs but I think the mismatches with him as a wr on the outside would be more prominent and he would take far less of a beating.

Yep, I had always hoped he would pull a Jordan and take time off to play wide receiver. I'm confident he could be an all-pro year one he's just so physically gifted. Calvin Johnson was a freak and was just 6'5", 236 pounds. Randy Moss was 6'4", 210.

Lebron is 6'8", 250. His sheer size difference would allow him a mismatch every snap.

And fwiw, everyone always said he should be a tight end. I didn't get that. He doesn't have the size (muscle) to be a tight end and block and he would take a beating within the hashes. You could obviously use him as an h-back more so and he'd have solid mismatches and most lbs and dbs but I think the mismatches with him as a wr on the outside would be more prominent and he would take far less of a beating.
Yep.
On a different note, I always thought Iverson would have made one hell of a forward in soccer.

I was talking with some buddies about this.
How many highly athletic NBA players have had injuries that last more then 1 full season and then come back to where they were?
More often the player regressed in a major way.
Do Favors or Burks really have a legitimate odds to become what they were?

Favors didn't have a major injury.

He didnt have to have major surgery, but I think we can consider w/e he had for the last 18 months as a major injury. It's just a weird one.

Like a hamstring pull or slight tear, it simply takes weeks or sometimes months from which to recover and often lingers. That doesn't make it a major injury.

He didnt have to have major surgery, but I think we can consider w/e he had for the last 18 months as a major injury. It's just a weird one.
I'm still very curious what he actually had. It's been reported as different problems strung together. I think it was a back problem to start the season. He had two different knee bruise's and some other stuff. It's hard for me to believe that is actually what was going on. But hopefully it was just that and bad luck.

Paul George broke a damn leg that ain't no major injury dip ****s. Everone spected him to return full strength he'll any GM in the league would have traded for him injured.

(my emphasis)

Cappy, nateboz was talking about highly athletic players, guys, so Ilgauskas doesn't count. Hill wasn't ever near the same after his injury. Before, he was like a cross of Scottie Pippen and Lebron James, but less athletic and without a 3 point shot; afterwards, he was just a role player. Bogut wasn't athletic to begin with and, since his third season, was never really healthy.

I must say that Paul George's recovery has surprised me, but before his major injury, every season at least 20 percent of his shots came form less than 3 feet from the basket and last season only 13 percent came from the same distance. Perhaps he's settling for jumpers instead of driving.

I don't think Burks is capable of recovery. He was athletic before his myriad of injuries but wasn't Dwyane Wade-like athletic. Besides, his basketball IQ is clearly low - the guy has difficult even taking advantage of screens, for heavens sake! - and I think some mental adjustment has always to be made after a major injury to compensate for whatever is lost athletic. He clearly unlearned how to finish around the rim - has one of the worst percentages of the league from inside 3 feet - and unless he has the brains to change the way he moves and finishes, perhaps adding some sort of floater to his "repertoire", I don't see any hope of him becoming a good and efficient scorer.

IMO, Favors is never going to be an All-Star, as many predict two seasons ago, but I think he can come back to being a productive although (slightly) unreliable role player. He is not that smart of a player, but his outside shooting has been improving and he is clearly a hard worker. It wouldn't surprise me if he averaged 14 to 15 points per game next season. So, I think we can be realisticly hopeful about him. :)

Glass half empty much?