What's new

Instead of arguing about the Jazz, let's argue about this.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So about a month ago this discussion had been going on on Twitter that I saw pop up a few different times. I wish I had the original post (I'm sure someone here can link it), but the gist was if a regular person was on an NBA team, played all 48 minutes, didn't have to play defense, and the team was feeding him, would he score 20 or more at any point over the course of a season? Now, this is an awfully silly question, and I'll get into that later, but it was ridiculous seeing some of the takes on this. I think this idea really offends people because they have to say a lay man could never do that because... it would apparently mean something (when it wouldn't). I saw a few takes of people saying how they played pickup ball against some former JuCo players (or similar scenarios) and how they just blew everyone out of the water, and if people think that a lay person can drop 20 in those circumstances, that it means they don't understand the infinite talent chasm between professional sports and guys at the gym.

My first take on this is an acknowledgement that no, guys at the gym aren't NBA level. No, they're not better than guys in the NBA. But I've made this point in other contexts previously that I could probably beat a number of NBA players in a free throw shoot-out (not a lot of guys, but some). Ultimately, this is meaningless. If I could do this, it speaks nothing to me being on NBA level at all. But many people would probably conflate a statement like that to "lol u cant be guis in nba u soooo dumb." A live NBA game is much more than a free throw shooting contest, it's more than winning a sprint, it's more than simply being taller than someone or [insert variable]. It's when the game comes together as an amalgam that you see the guys who belong and those who don't. It doesn't mean that there's no overlap in any given random ability (though there's certainly fewer), but more importantly, there being overlap in any particular component of the game between a pro and a lay person is entirely meaningless. I think this is where people get tripped up. They seem to believe that if one that a lay person could have one particular talent, or be able to do something, that's on the level of some pro, that somehow the whole belief that professional athletes are better comes crashing down (it doesn't). This absurdity can be tested by asking how many lay people would have been quicker than Shaq? How many lay people could beat him in a free throw contest? Ultimately this would be meaningless because none of those lay people would survive in a live game. But Shaq being an NBA player doesn't magically mean that there's not an 8th grader in the world who could have beat him in a sprint.

The above only partially addresses the original question. My beef with this question is that they're painting such a ridiculous scenario that the game being played ceases to be basketball. Play all 48? You don't have to play defense? Your team is feeding you? The dynamics of the game would dictate that multiple teams would just let you get your 20 on high inefficiency at least a few times. This scenario doesn't have your team's goal being to win the game but apparently to get you 20 points. It's silly. Any time there's a steal in the game (even if your team is playing 4-on-5), you're there cherry picking. Someone scoring 20 in a scenario like this over the course of 82 games is not a threat to the reality of how much better NBA players are than lay people. The other end of this is that it's an argument of how good the NBA players are, but paradoxically people are not willing to acknowledge that a team of NBA professionals couldn't get some random jackass 20 points over a season if apparently their goal isn't even to win the game. It's like when Homer Simpson asked if Jesus could make a burrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it.

I was a high level high school/low level college basketball player. I played with Ronnie Price one time and he was immeasurably better than me. If I would have played him one on one I think he would have been able to score on me whenever and however he wanted to. He also could have locked me down with his defense pretty good though I feel like my offense was good enough that I would score a little bit. If we played to 21 going by 1's and 2's back when I was at my best I figure he would have won something like 21-6 or something. Maybe even worse than that. I might be giving myself too much credit. Like I said, he was WAY better than me at pretty much every aspect of basketball. More athletic (jump higher, quicker, faster, stronger) better shooter, better ball handler (those were my 2 best strengths and he was better at both), better defender, etc etc. Only thing I had on him was that I was taller but that advantaged gets negated by his athleticism anyway.

My first reaction when I started reading was, well if they were feeding me I wouldn't get 20 a night. But as you continued, in this absurd scenario, the best thing the other team could do is just let me shoot. They could let me be 3ft from the basket and not even put a hand in my face. I might get my 20, but the game would probably be a 34-175 blowout every night if the other team was playing to win.

Now if the entire goal of the game was to stop me from getting to 20 no matter what. If I get 20 my team wins, if I'm below 20 all they need is more points than I have, then I score 0 to 2 points a night.

So about a month ago this discussion had been going on on Twitter that I saw pop up a few different times. I wish I had the original post (I'm sure someone here can link it), but the gist was if a regular person was on an NBA team, played all 48 minutes, didn't have to play defense, and the team was feeding him, would he score 20 or more at any point over the course of a season? Now, this is an awfully silly question, and I'll get into that later, but it was ridiculous seeing some of the takes on this. I think this idea really offends people because they have to say a lay man could never do that because... it would apparently mean something (when it wouldn't). I saw a few takes of people saying how they played pickup ball against some former JuCo players (or similar scenarios) and how they just blew everyone out of the water, and if people think that a lay person can drop 20 in those circumstances, that it means they don't understand the infinite talent chasm between professional sports and guys at the gym.

My first take on this is an acknowledgement that no, guys at the gym aren't NBA level. No, they're not better than guys in the NBA. But I've made this point in other contexts previously that I could probably beat a number of NBA players in a free throw shoot-out (not a lot of guys, but some). Ultimately, this is meaningless. If I could do this, it speaks nothing to me being on NBA level at all. But many people would probably conflate a statement like that to "lol u cant be guis in nba u soooo dumb." A live NBA game is much more than a free throw shooting contest, it's more than winning a sprint, it's more than simply being taller than someone or [insert variable]. It's when the game comes together as an amalgam that you see the guys who belong and those who don't. It doesn't mean that there's no overlap in any given random ability (though there's certainly fewer), but more importantly, there being overlap in any particular component of the game between a pro and a lay person is entirely meaningless. I think this is where people get tripped up. They seem to believe that if one that a lay person could have one particular talent, or be able to do something, that's on the level of some pro, that somehow the whole belief that professional athletes are better comes crashing down (it doesn't). This absurdity can be tested by asking how many lay people would have been quicker than Shaq? How many lay people could beat him in a free throw contest? Ultimately this would be meaningless because none of those lay people would survive in a live game. But Shaq being an NBA player doesn't magically mean that there's not an 8th grader in the world who could have beat him in a sprint.

The above only partially addresses the original question. My beef with this question is that they're painting such a ridiculous scenario that the game being played ceases to be basketball. Play all 48? You don't have to play defense? Your team is feeding you? The dynamics of the game would dictate that multiple teams would just let you get your 20 on high inefficiency at least a few times. This scenario doesn't have your team's goal being to win the game but apparently to get you 20 points. It's silly. Any time there's a steal in the game (even if your team is playing 4-on-5), you're there cherry picking. Someone scoring 20 in a scenario like this over the course of 82 games is not a threat to the reality of how much better NBA players are than lay people. The other end of this is that it's an argument of how good the NBA players are, but paradoxically people are not willing to acknowledge that a team of NBA professionals couldn't get some random jackass 20 points over a season if apparently their goal isn't even to win the game. It's like when Homer Simpson asked if Jesus could make a burrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it.

It was a dumb question imo. Even in some weird circumstance where the regular person shot the ball every time down the floor and the defense somehow forgot that he was going to shoot every time... I still don't think a regular player could do it.

I still play a ton... so I am on the high end of pickup ball scrubs... I really don't think I could do it. You just don't realize how little space there is on the floor with humans that size. You'd have to score almost exclusively on catch and shoot situations where the defense ignores you... even then you will need a good amount of space and have to speed up your shot to get it off with those dudes closing out. Maybe you could sneak a rushed fade away on some of the smaller guys or bad floater... but its gonna be so difficult to get off clean looks.

I do think I could beat the **** out of some of the worst NBA shooters in a shooting contest doe.

I was a high level high school/low level college basketball player. I played with Ronnie Price one time and he was immeasurably better than me. If I would have played him one on one I think he would have been able to score on me whenever and however he wanted to. He also could have locked me down with his defense pretty good though I feel like my offense was good enough that I would score a little bit. If we played to 21 going by 1's and 2's back when I was at my best I figure he would have won something like 21-6 or something. Maybe even worse than that. I might be giving myself too much credit. Like I said, he was WAY better than me at pretty much every aspect of basketball. More athletic (jump higher, quicker, faster, stronger) better shooter, better ball handler (those were my 2 best strengths and he was better at both), better defender, etc etc. Only thing I had on him was that I was taller but that advantaged gets negated by his athleticism anyway.

You suck.

Does not playing defense mean you dont even have to cross the half-court line and cherry pick?

Because if you asked the regular person to just run up and down the court at NBA pace they would not be able to play 48 minutes and score at all. But if they cherry pick it's too easy.

Does not playing defense mean you dont even have to cross the half-court line and cherry pick?

Because if you asked the regular person to just run up and down the court at NBA pace they would not be able to play 48 minutes and score at all. But if they cherry pick it's too easy.
You say too easy and you've never seen me try to dribble a basketball...

the gap between an NBA player and a regular person, is bigger than the gap btw an NBA scrub and Michael Jordan. Theres been what 5 or 6 thousand players in the NBA over 75 years? that out of all people, there is a reason.

It’s true. However, there’s nothing about someone scoring 20 once over the course of 82 games, when playing 48 minutes, not playing defense, and being fed by their team, that invalidates any of the above. Again, someone scoring 20 under those particulars doesn’t mean anything. It’s not saying that they’re on any kind of NBA level at all. The scenario isn’t even basketball.

Wasn't there some kind of celebrity basketball thing in the 90s that sprinkled in a few NBA players (maybe former NBA players)?

Yes. You being taller than Ronnie was meaningless. Me beating Shaq in a sprint would be meaningless. HH beating Emeka Okafor at FT is meaningless. An ******* scoring 20 once in this absurd scenario over 82 games is meaningless.

It’s true. However, there’s nothing about someone scoring 20 once over the course of 82 games, when playing 48 minutes, not playing defense, and being fed by their team, that invalidates any of the above. Again, someone scoring 20 under those particulars doesn’t mean anything. It’s not saying that they’re on any kind of NBA level at all. The scenario isn’t even basketball.

Didn't the owner of the Kings suggest doing something similar? playing D 4 on 5 and camping somebody under the ring?

I still reckon no chance.

I also played college until an injury derailed me. I could score and provided volunteer time as a shooting coach before the pandemic.

I have lost a lot of athleticism, but am now healthy. Pre-pandemic I played in a weekly invitation only college+ league, with some retired NBA regulars. While I did ok, some of these former NBA players, 20+ years older than most of us (and these guys were at the bottom tier of NBA) would just dominate. I could score on them, but they were old and didn't try too hard on D (I busted on both ends). They could lock me up when they wanted.

Now, if I could take @fishonjazz, and design an offense around him, and give him a year of professional coaching, I guarantee he would make better yogurt than any NBA player.