What's new

Intellectual Honesty, Racism, and Me.

TroutBum

My Member's Premium
Contributor
So, I just got done watching the Rookie Dunk contest again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St9-SNPhq5E ) and I found myself pondering a deep question: am I a racist? Let me clarify a little bit, if I may. First of all, I am all for equal rights and treatment of all people regardless of skin color, race, sexual preference, etc. I voted for Obama. I have hired my fair share of hispanics and black people. I am a lover, not a fighter.

On the flip side, while watching that video I found myself hating black people for the way those guys were like, "DAAAAYYYUMMMM!" and doing that stupid little black man jig every time someone dunked. Then I noticed that there were no white people, and that kind of pissed me off too. I thought to myself, "Am I really hating black people in general because of how these 'hopper types' are acting?" Honestly, yes, I was. WTF? Then I started thinking about Mexicans, and I started getting pissed again. Not that I hate Mexicans, but I am sick of all of the illegal bull **** that's going on, and everytime I see a news cast and they're reporting a crime, I expect to hear a name like, "Gonzalez, Hernandez, or Martinez" -- why do I feel this way?

Again, I'm not racist at my core, but I really am having a hard time distinguishing my feelings when it comes to crap like this. Anyone else have these inclinations? Could it be that both of my parents and grandparents were racist bums to the max? Could it be an inferriority complex? Or is this normal?

Thoughts? (and don't be gay about it)

The way the people in your video act is a cultural thing. You wouldn't be upset at all with a, say, Carlton Banks type person, would you?

Interesting post, carolinadave

That hurts me, Gregory. I was looking for some realistic answers and discussion -- thanks for taking the high road.

The way the people in your video act is a cultural thing. You wouldn't be upset at all with a, say, Carlton Banks type person, would you?

Good point, although I find Carlton Banks to be an obnoxious little queer.

I'm pretty sure Avenue Q has a whole song about this problem.

I don't know who they are, or what the point of posting that is.

First Vinylone, now you...board is getting infested with racist bitches.

You know Vinylone is a Mexican, a real honest to goodness Dwarf, and ugly, right? As far as minorities go, he's on the bottom of the totem. I doubt very highly that he has any room to be a racist.

I don't understand why this always has to be such a sensitive subject. Maybe you like all people on an individual basis but don't like certain cultural nuances. Why would you like another culture as much as yours? If you preferred a different culture then you'd be a different culture. You like what you are and are what you like.

America has a black culture that I'm not fond of. If I was then I'd sound like the white DJ's on 92.5 f.m. (Utah's hip-hop station), where different close, etc.
America has a Southern white culture that I'm not fond of. If I was then I'd where sleeveless, button up jean shirts and scream "who dat" while shooting a friend's big screen in his front yard.

It's the same. You're just as racist for making fun of Rednecks as you are for not liking any other culture of your choosing.
I'm not racist, but that doesn't mean I'm going to move into a Juneau community and copy everything my neighbors do. I like how I am and like to be around a certain crowd.

I don't understand why this always has to be such a sensitive subject. Maybe you like all people on an individual basis but don't like certain cultural nuances. Why would you like another culture as much as yours? If you preferred a different culture then you'd be a different culture. You like what you are and are what you like.

America has a black culture that I'm not fond of. If I was then I'd sound like the white DJ's on 92.5 f.m. (Utah's hip-hop station), where different close, etc.
America has a Southern white culture that I'm not fond of. If I was then I'd where sleeveless, button up jean shirts and scream "who dat" while shooting a friend's big screen in his front yard.

It's the same. You're just as racist for making fun of Rednecks as you are for not liking any other culture of your choosing.
I'm not racist, but that doesn't mean I'm going to move into a Juneau community and copy everything my neighbors do. I like how I am and like to be around a certain crowd.

Great post. +2

The point is that everyone's a little bit racist.

I think everyone has prejudices, but it seems like there isn't a distinction between prejudice and racism anymore. I always thought there was a difference. All of Raspberry's issues sound more like prejudice to me.