What's new

Interesting Comment from Lindsey

phippsj

Q: Could Raul Neto have helped the Jazz this season had he been able to join the team?

Lindsey: Oh, absolutely. Absolutely. And you know, it’s something that we’ve talked about. But I think with where we’re at, with Trey and the rest, that, we’re, you know, it would’ve been hard to put, you know, Ty in the position to try to develop and play two point guards simultaneous. It would’ve been, it would’ve put, you know, him and the team in a couple of rough spots.

Sounds to me like they were a bit afraid of a point guard controversy. On one hand I would rather let them fight it out, may the best man win. On the other, Raul has the benefit of having been a pro. NCAA is great, but its not a pro league. Pros are older and stronger (like it or not).

Bring him over next year and then Trey and Raul should be on equal footing. Then, let them fight it out.

Last edited:
Q: Could Raul Neto have helped the Jazz this season had he been able to join the team?

Lindsey: Oh, absolutely. Absolutely. And you know, it’s something that we’ve talked about. But I think with where we’re at, with Trey and the rest, that, we’re, you know, it would’ve been hard to put, you know, Ty in the position to try to develop and play two point guards simultaneous. It would’ve been, it would’ve put, you know, him and the team in a couple of rough spots.

Sounds to me like they were a bit afraid of a point guard controversy. On one hand I would rather let them fight it out, may the best man win. On the other, Raul has the benefit of having been a pro. NCAA is great, but its not a pro league. Pros are older and stronger (like it or not).

Bring him over next year and then Trey and Raul should be on equal footing. Then, let them fight it out.

Well there is a reason why Lindsey is the GM of the Jazz.. he knows what he's doing. He did the right thing IMO.

Interesting

I've said this all along, bringing Neto over while Burke is trying to develop is bad news. Bad news all round. Lindsey did the right thing here.

There is an old saying: "You don't worry about the eggs, when you already have the hen."

Here's another: "Don't kill the Goose for the golden eggs".

Meh. Two unproven PG's battling over a spot.. both under contract, obvi..

No, what this says is the Jazz is 100% all in on Burke until he proves otherwise.

That is what I thought from the get go. Developing two young guys at the same position is just not the best environment for developing either dude. Give Burke at least a full year before you invite direct competition to his job. If he was just a late 1st rounder I wouldn't care as much, but the fact that he is a lottery pick means you really want to give him the best chance to succeed.

That is what I thought from the get go. Developing two young guys at the same position is just not the best environment for developing either dude. Give Burke at least a full year before you invite direct competition to his job. If he was just a late 1st rounder I wouldn't care as much, but the fact that he is a lottery pick means you really want to give him the best chance to succeed.

We don't often see eye to eye, but we do on this subject.

Neto's choice to stay over seas is great for the jazz. If Burke doesn't pan out bring in Neto and see if he can do better. If Burke does does well, and Neto becomes great over seas, trade him for a pick or something.

Well damn.
It would've been so much fun to blame Corbin for not playing Neto more when Burke sucks....or to blame Corbin for not playing Burke more when Neto sucks.

I was just thinking... How can NBA teams force players to play overseas if they didn't want to. It seems like the players union could say, either they make your NBA squad this season or you lose the rights to the player and they can become a FA. I would be ticked if I entered the draft and they wouldn't allow me to play and they still retained rights to me.

You don't trade up for a to 10 pick and then make him fight it out for playing time with a second rounder because he played 10 decent minutes in the Summer League.

The franchise hasn't gone that Mickey Mouse yet.

You don't trade up for a to 10 pick and then make him fight it out for playing time with a second rounder because he played 10 decent minutes in the Summer League.

The franchise hasn't gone that Mickey Mouse yet.

Mickey Mouse is when you think that a top 10 pick couldn't beat out a second rounder who had 10 decent minutes in the Summer League.

I was just thinking... How can NBA teams force players to play overseas if they didn't want to. It seems like the players union could say, either they make your NBA squad this season or you lose the rights to the player and they can become a FA. I would be ticked if I entered the draft and they wouldn't allow me to play and they still retained rights to me.

This is my understanding --> He's under contract in spain for another year. So either he/we would have to foot the bill to get him out of his contract, or the jazz can tell him to go finish his contract. They arent forcing him to play there, they are just not going to buy him out of his contract. Next year when he has no contract, if the jazz still dont want him to play here, he can play where ever he'd like (except for a different NBA team -- Unless the jazz traded his rights).

This is my understanding --> He's under contract in spain for another year. So either he/we would have to foot the bill to get him out of his contract, or the jazz can tell him to go finish his contract. They arent forcing him to play there, they are just not going to buy him out of his contract. Next year when he has no contract, if the jazz still dont want him to play here, he can play where ever he'd like (except for a different NBA team -- Unless the jazz traded his rights).

I think it's more complex than that. Look at this following link:
https://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/spain/30509/raulzinho-and-papamakarios-ink-with-lagun-aro.html
That's from 2011 and we don't know if there's ETOs and how much the buyouts are if any are included. Even though his team was supposed to get demoted as they finished with the 2nd worst record in the league, they somehow have been officially retained by the league, probably as a promotion team from the 2nd league forfit their right to advance to the first league or didn't meet the criterias. I'd be very patient with him and I agree that this year it's best for him top stay over in spain. Most European player develop very strong technique and that's what's first on Neto's list right now. He must expand his range and get burn. The body and transition to te NBA is something he can address later.

Exactly. Jazz simply aren't contributing to his buyout. We all want to anoint this guy, St. Neto, patron saint of point guards, but the fact is, he also struggled in the summer league. It wasn't like he scored 20 pts/per on 50% shooting and averaged 10 assists. He was only slightly better than Burke. I think the Jazz not only want to see Trey develop, but want to see if Burks can play backup PG. Also, it's an issue of contract management. Neto gets to play FT for another year and work on his game, while the Jazz don't use any of his rookie years.

Question for GVC, Kenwood, etc.: had the Jazz contributed to a buyout, does that money count against what they can offer other teams for an extra 1st round pick next season? I know $3M is the max for buying a pick. However, I was surprised to hear not all teams had the full amount to offer during the draft. I guess there are certain transactions throughout the season that can use up part of the money.

Exactly. Jazz simply aren't contributing to his buyout. We all want to anoint this guy, St. Neto, patron saint of point guards, but the fact is, he also struggled in the summer league. It wasn't like he scored 20 pts/per on 50% shooting and averaged 10 assists. He was only slightly better than Burke. I think the Jazz not only want to see Trey develop, but want to see if Burks can play backup PG. Also, it's an issue of contract management. Neto gets to play FT for another year and work on his game, while the Jazz don't use any of his rookie years.

Question for GVC, Kenwood, etc.: had the Jazz contributed to a buyout, does that money count against what they can offer other teams for an extra 1st round pick next season? I know $3M is the max for buying a pick. However, I was surprised to hear not all teams had the full amount to offer during the draft. I guess there are certain transactions throughout the season that can use up part of the money.

cash considerations on trades and what-not i'm assuming?

I've said this all along, bringing Neto over while Burke is trying to develop is bad news. Bad news all round. Lindsey did the right thing here.

There is an old saying: "You don't worry about the eggs, when you already have the hen."

Here's another: "Don't kill the Goose for the golden eggs".

Money is the other side to this. If Neto plays well then he'll get paid well in Europe. The Jazz will have to offer him more $$ without knowing whether he can actually play in the NBA or not. Stashing players overseas is great if you get a Ricky Rubio, but otherwise it's a waste of a pick as the Jazz have shown with past second rounders.