What's new

Interesting trade (for CY)

Chargers Jazz Angels

Was just reading that the Phoenix is looking to move Miles plumlee for a first round pick so i was looking at ways we could get him. We would have to send out Kanter.

3 way

Utah-Washington-Phoenix

Utah trades -

Kanter
Hood
First round pick (probably the GSW pick)

Phoenix trades -

TJ warren
Miles plumlee

Washington trades -

Otto Porter Jr
Kevin Seraphin
Rashual Butler
Protected 1st

Utah gets -

Otto Porter Jr
TJ Warren
Miles plumlee

Phoenix gets -

Seraphin
Butler
the 2 firsts

washington gets -

Kanter
Hood

Utah does this because it would give them a solid bench

Burke, exum
Hayward, exum (burks next year)
Porter, Warren
Favors, Booker
Gobert, Plumlee

Phoenix again grabs more picks for bench players

Washington gets a good PF and a sharpshooter for the play offs again for pretty much fodder in seraphin and butler. Also Porter who doesnt play a lot. I didnt realize rashual butler is playing so well so maybe just replace him with drew gooden.

Too many pieces for it to fall through. I do like Warren, but would rather they make a play for Dragic if this is what they're thinking. Plumlee doesn't do anything for me. Imo, the Jazz give up more than they get with that deal. None of the players they get move the needle into the win column.

Too many pieces for it to fall through. I do like Warren, but would rather they make a play for Dragic if this is what they're thinking. Plumlee doesn't do anything for me. Imo, the Jazz give up more than they get with that deal. None of the players they get move the needle into the win column.

Holy cow Debby Doubter!!

Trades aren't impossible like some around here will have you believe.

How many trades has Boston made this year? It's about 9.

Plenty of multi team trades have gone down in history.

Why's everyone so eager to sell at the lowest point possible on the GSW pick? This is dreck.

Everyone understands that everything can change in two years, right? And if it doesn't, then the value of the pick has hardly changed, right? At least in terms of how people are valuing it in all of the Kanter-panic trades that I've seen here, the value couldn't be worse in two years.

By the way, everyone understands that the Jazz should probably still be in asset-ACCUMULATION mode right now... right?

to be honest Kanter doesnt do anything for me. Jazz need defense and shooting this trade doesnt add the shooting but it improves the defense considerable.

I agree the GSW pick is a great asset and a lot could change in 2 years but it could also not change. Kerr is a very good coach that learned from pops so that says a lot. Curry will still be there but he has been accident prone at the first part of his career. Will they give thompson a max deal this summer? Will bogut remain healthy? what about green? there are a lot of question marks for the is pick but i still see them as a play off tam in 2 years.

to be honest Kanter doesnt do anything for me. Jazz need defense and shooting this trade doesnt add the shooting but it improves the defense considerable.

I agree the GSW pick is a great asset and a lot could change in 2 years but it could also not change. Kerr is a very good coach that learned from pops so that says a lot. Curry will still be there but he has been accident prone at the first part of his career. Will they give thompson a max deal this summer? Will bogut remain healthy? what about green? there are a lot of question marks for the is pick but i still see them as a play off tam in 2 years.

Won't happen now. Hood can't pass anyone's physical at the moment.

If Kanter is a net-negative asset, then you either get him on the cheap and have him as scoring punch off the bench/stretch big, or you let him walk.

Everyone understands that everything can change in two years, right? And if it doesn't, then the value of the pick has hardly changed, right? At least in terms of how people are valuing it in all of the Kanter-panic trades that I've seen here, the value couldn't be worse in two years.

By the way, everyone understands that the Jazz should probably still be in asset-ACCUMULATION mode right now... right?
I agree for the most part. I don't think that the Jazz should be looking to dump assets (Kanter, Burke and Hood included) for middling pieces that don't move the team closer to contending. They should be looking to gain assets and maximize the value of the ones that they have until they come across a potential trade for an All-Star caliber player to add to what I think they see as their future Core - Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Burks and Exum.

With that said, I also think that the emergence of Rudy Gobert as a potential franchise big-man has slightly changed the time-table on how the Jazz are building. I went into the season completely expecting to have the Jazz struggle while playing the young guys (check) to see who they should build around and who they should lock up long-term or look to move in deals to support those players. My firm belief is that the Jazz were planning to struggle this year, determine the core group and then accumulate assets to make a blockbuster move either at the 2015 Trade Deadline or in the 2016 offseason (a year before Favors and Hayward will become UFA) in an effort to compete for the playoffs in 2016. I also think that is a key reason why the Jazz won't panic if Dante Exum takes a couple of years to develop. They really don't need him to be a starter until 2016. The Jazz could struggle through this season, draft in the top 10, match an offer for Kanter and then continue to develop Exum for the following season.

Gobert, Favors and Hayward have all looked so good together this season, that I can easily see the Jazz looking to accelerate that timetable and try to push for the playoffs next year, with hopes that they can contend the following season. In order to do that, they will need to add a starting wing and a point guard to run the offense until Exum is ready. Ideally, they would be able to package Kanter in a blockbuster trade for a #1 wing option to pair with Hayward and, in the process, open up the cap space to make a run at Goran Dragic after he opts out.

If Kanter is a net-negative asset, then you either get him on the cheap and have him as scoring punch off the bench/stretch big, or you let him walk.

Great post. The Jazz should look to maximize Kanter's trade value between now and the deadline to see how high they can get it in an effort to gain an Alpha scorer to go with Hayward, or just keep him on the cheap and try to keep developing him and having him provide depth behind Gobert and Favors.

Unless you can bring in another asset such as plumlee or Warren to fill needs

Your post seemingly infers that Kanter has no value, though. Either he doesn't, or the GSW pick doesn't. But I totally agree that if you can trade a player you like/need less for assets you like/need more, you do it.

I guess the best way I can put it is that it seems like a lot of pieces going a lot of places and everyone moving laterally. I'm not scared to stand pat if there is nothing out there to like for Kanter because I can see him still having a role on this team going forward for the right price and minutes (relatively cheap scoring and floor spacing from a big on the second unit).

Unless Otto Porter is really that good. But I don't follow hoops that much these days so what do I know.

I mostly agree, however, with the upcoming salary cap bump, it feels like teams are pretty much going to be able to keep any player they want. There might be a window for getting the right pieces on this team before nobody has any insentive for trading quality players.

Even with that possibility, you still don't trade away an unprotected pick, 2 years away.

I mostly agree, however, with the upcoming salary cap bump, it feels like teams are pretty much going to be able to keep any player they want. There might be a window for getting the right pieces on this team before nobody has any insentive for trading quality players.

Even with that possibility, you still don't trade away an unprotected pick, 2 years away.
Unless you can get a guy like Jimmy Butler or Andrew Wiggins, I agree completely. Also consider, that Andrew Bogut, David Lee, Iggy and Curry have all struggled with injuries at some recent point in their careers. There's a lot that can happen over the next two seasons that can cause them to turn from one of the hottest teams in the west to a team on the outside looking in. That asset may end up being worth very little in the grand scheme of things, or it could end up being amazing. You just have to hang onto it and find out.

Plumlee is such garbage. He's not even an asset. Just a terrible trade.

Not a big Miles fan - liking Mason though more and more. Although probably not trade-able. Brooklyn is putting Lopez on the block so they can play him more.