What's new

Interesting Trade Ideas Article

Another interesting article:

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
Don't quite get this guy's thinking:

For Paul and Harris, Jazz get extra goodies in exchange for Conley, but for Love they have to give up extra goodies? I get that Love's contract is a lower $ figure, but based on the long-and-short term return for the money, I don't see why Love would be that pricey in a trade.

Don't quite get this guy's thinking:

For Paul and Harris, Jazz get extra goodies in exchange for Conley, but for Love they have to give up extra goodies? I get that Love's contract is a lower $ figure, but based on the long-and-short term return for the money, I don't see why Love would be that pricey in a trade.
My best guess would be that Cleveland has made the point as nauseum that they require at least one FRP to trade Love.

I’m not sure why people are down on Capella. Before his injury he was pretty good and outplayed Gobert in at least one playoff series. If Gobert gets traded we need a replacement at center, and I don’t think Favors has it in him to stay healthy getting starter minutes. Unless you’re getting a young, promising center like Jared Allen or Wendell Carter Jr, Capella is about as good as you can get in replacing Gobert. His contract, age, and experience help the team blend trying to win now and build for the future.

The team’s problem last year was defense, so trading away one of the best defensive players of this generation doesn’t make sense to me. That said, if money or relationship issues force a trade, I like that Atlanta one as much as anything else I’ve seen. I doubt Atlanta would include all of those pieces, especially given how much they gave up to move up to draft Hunter last year. I don’t think Collins plays enough defense. Getting Capella, Reddish, and this year’s pick is probably more realistic.

My best guess would be that Cleveland has made the point as nauseum that they require at least one FRP to trade Love.
But why would anyone bite? If you're (not you, but rather the article's author) trying to make "realistic" proposals, don't be telling me that the Jazz want to give up a pick just to swap Conley and Love. Love still remains on one of the league's worst contracts (by far worse than Conley's at this point).

No to a Hayward return. He is not the same player and he burned his bridges the way he left.
He's still a very good player, despite all our bad thoughts toward him. He quietly had a very productive, efficient year. But yeah, it's likely there's no bridge left.

I’d like a trade with philly if they take Ed’s contract and give us Milton instead on the pick. And add a pick for 2021 to the deal.

Mike and Ed for Harris mattise Milton and 2021 pick.

Won’t feel so bad about the Harris contract if you look at it like a package deal. Both of the other two are on 2-3 year contracts for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

So with the conley for Harris trade, does that mean the starting lineup is

Don
Joe
Bojan
Harris
Rudy

??

I think Conley for Horford is a lot more realistic from Philly’s perspective. Plus, I think Harris is a poor defender.
I would consider Conley for Horford and Richardson. I really like Richardson and think he would be amazing next to Mitchell. Horford and Gobert would have a lot of same strengths and challenges as Favors and Gobert, but Horford has better playmaking and range. The team should be much better defensively and hopefully not hinder the offense.

Horford is definitely overpaid, but he has fewer years and dollars on his deal and because his last year isn’t fully guaranteed he could be a good future trade piece going into that last year of the contract.
So you want to bring in Horford to play 16 mpg?

So you want to bring in Horford to play 16 mpg?

I think the idea is that Horford plays about 20 minutes per game, and is there as Gobert insurance should the unexpected happen. Also, he can play in more of a "small ball" lineup than Rudy can for those difficult matchups come playoff time.

Overall, the Horford idea is as much as about the additional assets though. For example, Thybulle + Horford might be better for us than just Conley.

Last edited:
Yes, but no one has taken the bait yet and I heard a couple ESPN guys say they have really overplayed their hand. They are an injury away from having to eat that deal.

He's still a very good player, despite all our bad thoughts toward him. He quietly had a very productive, efficient year. But yeah, it's likely there's no bridge left.
he got hurt again in the playoffs and didn't play that well when he was in there.

The belief is that Horford can play PF for about 10 minutes a game.
I'm not seeing why there's more faith that Rudy/Horford will work better than Embiid/Horford did (which it didn't).

I still think that if we're pained by Conley getting 30 minutes a game at 33 million, we'll be going insane over several more years to see either: a) Horford at 28 million for 15 mpg; or b) a far more expensive, though equally problematic C/PF combo as we had with Rudy and Favors for 10-12 minutes a game.

The only way Horford makes sense to me on the Jazz is if he's the starting center, which is why I still don't think he makes much sense for us.

I'm not seeing why there's more faith that Rudy/Horford will work better than Embiid/Horford did (which it didn't).

I still think that if we're pained by Conley getting 30 minutes a game at 33 million, we'll be going insane over several more years to see either: a) Horford at 28 million for 15 mpg; or b) a far more expensive, though equally problematic C/PF combo as we had with Rudy and Favors for 10-12 minutes a game.

The only way Horford makes sense to me on the Jazz is if he's the starting center, which is why I still don't think he makes much sense for us.
I was completely opposed to the Horford idea at first, but I think there’s a pretty reasonable argument for why it could work—or, at least work better for us than Conley. But also keep in mind that these Philly trade scenarios also included another player (like Thybulle or Milton) and a 1st rounder. That’s nice.

I don’t think Horford has regressed to the level that he showed last year. I think there are reasons to believe he’d be better here. And I think he’d work better alongside Rudy than Favors did. Considerably.

I was completely opposed to the Horford idea at first, but I think there’s a pretty reasonable argument for why it could work—or, at least work better for us than Conley. But also keep in mind that these Philly trade scenarios also included another player (like Thybulle or Milton) and a 1st rounder. That’s nice.

I don’t think Horford has regressed to the level that he showed last year. I think there are reasons to believe he’d be better here. And I think he’d work better alongside Rudy than Favors did. Considerably.
Which of these reasons weren't used to justify the Embiid/Horford pairing (which clearly didn't work)?

While I suspect most of the reasons for being optimistic about Horford relate to offense (and which I'm suspicious of given his time in Philly with Embiid), I can say I'd not look forward to seeing a 34/35/36 year old Horford trying to chase around (ever smaller) PFs. I think the defensive experience with a 27 year old Favors was much better than we have any right to expect with Horford.

(I'll leave off commenting on the extra goodies a trade might bring until I see an actual move made. I'm just commenting on how I'd expect Horford to fit.)

Which of these reasons weren't used to justify the Embiid/Horford pairing (which clearly didn't work)?

While I suspect most of the reasons for being optimistic about Horford relate to offense (and which I'm suspicious of given his time in Philly with Embiid), I can say I'd not look forward to seeing a 34/35/36 year old Horford trying to chase around (ever smaller) PFs. I think the defensive experience with a 27 year old Favors was much better than we have any right to expect with Horford.

(I'll leave off commenting on the extra goodies a trade might bring until I see an actual move made. I'm just commenting on how I'd expect Horford to fit.)
I hear you. I share these same suspicions.

It’s all just for the sake of a thought experiment anyway. With the pre-Xmas plans, we all know our org is standing pat.