What's new

Interview with team physician Dr. Lyle Mason - thoughts on Stockton, Deron, etc.

My2Cents

Didn't see this posted. Some interesting insights on Stockton, Deron, and Kirilenko.
Deron was the opposite of Stockton: Deron could not handle the coach calling any plays. He wanted to call every play. I’ll never understand why that was such a big deal, that if the coach called one play, he was going to run another one, which he always did.
Part 1 https://saltcityhoops.com/interviewing-dr-lyle-mason-part-i-jazz-beginnings-stockton-the-shot/
Part2 https://saltcityhoops.com/interviewing-dr-mason-part-ii-ak-deron-ty-vs-quin/

BTW, Laura Thompson is IzeofLight, who used to post here several years ago. She outgrew us, I guess. :confused:

Last edited:
They pay, we don't.
:wink:

Is that who kicky had a date with once?
Yes it was. That thread was epic.

We have others from SC Hoops post on here. She left long before becoming a contributor. But a lot of old-timers have left. They're all missed (well, most).

I didn't find anything Mason said to be "spilling the beans." No secrets were revealed, no bodies unearthed. Be interested to hear why you believe that, franklin.

He did confirm that Deron and Sloan butted heads, and it wad Derons ignorance that caused him to quit. Toxic ******* that's why we traded him.

He did confirm that Deron and Sloan butted heads, and it wad Derons ignorance that caused him to quit. Toxic ******* that's why we traded him.

I used to like Deron. This is old news but I am still shocked at how he could turn into such an arrogant ***. Looking back on how it all went down it's hard to believe that anyone believed at that time that Sloan quit for any other reason than he didn't want to deal such a douchebag.

I used to like Deron. This is old news but I am still shocked at how he could turn into such an arrogant ***. Looking back on how it all went down it's hard to believe that anyone believed at that time that Sloan quit for any other reason than he didn't want to deal such a douchebag.
I guess the only thing that shocked me is the Dr. Mason indicated it was a pattern, not just a few times here and there. Reminds me of the behavior of a tween/teen, TBH. You ask them to do one thing, and they do the opposite...just to rebel - even when they know your way is better.

I do think he was very respectful in handling the Ty vs. Quin issue. Very good explanation that QS is a Type A person and not everyone will agree with the way he runs the team. And he's probably right. If Quin came to a team that already had Stockton, Malone and Hornacek, his methods may not be as effective. And I think that's why DL needs to be very careful about who he considers bringing in as veteran FA's. Need to have a personality fit, not just the skill set.

I guess the only thing that shocked me is the Dr. Mason indicated it was a pattern, not just a few times here and there. Reminds me of the behavior of a tween/teen, TBH. You ask them to do one thing, and they do the opposite...just to rebel - even when they know your way is better.

I do think he was very respectful in handling the Ty vs. Quin issue. Very good explanation that QS is a Type A person and not everyone will agree with the way he runs the team. And he's probably right. If Quin came to a team that already had Stockton, Malone and Hornacek, his methods may not be as effective. And I think that's why DL needs to be very careful about who he considers bringing in as veteran FA's. Need to have a personality fit, not just the skill set.

I hope I get this semi right but the night of Sloan's last game he was eating with Phil Johnson and a Chicago reporter and he told the Chicago reporter that the one time Stockton ran the wrong play was during a playoff game and the crowd was loud and he didn't hear what Sloan had called out. In the first half DWill ran the wrong play like 7-8 times and that was enough for SLoan.

I hope I get this semi right but the night of Sloan's last game he was eating with Phil Johnson and a Chicago reporter and he told the Chicago reporter that the one time Stockton ran the wrong play was during a playoff game and the crowd was loud and he didn't hear what Sloan had called out. In the first half DWill ran the wrong play like 7-8 times and that was enough for SLoan.

I remember way back when I kept posting that Deron was freezing out AK, and people were saying, no it was Sloan who was doing it because there were better options in the offense. Well, now we know, don't we.

These are great articles. I hope she writes more. I would love it if she could get some inside information about how the Jazz organization reacted to the loss in 1998. Was there any discussions about how the Jazz got screwed. Did LHM go to the league and complain about Bavetta?