What's new

is Brandon Knight the answer?

I can see Williams at the 4 or 5 in other drafts. And yeah, Irving could have vaulted into a legit 1-3 relatively with a full season of college dominance. So what I said is not totally fair. I just think its weird that the 1-2 in this draft includes two guys that you really don't know has superstar DNA.

There have been other drafts like this. For example:
2006 Were Bargnani went #1 and Adam Morrison #3. But Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay and Rajon Rondo were all drafted after that. But at the time there was no real player that screamed Superstar.
In 2002 the top 3 pick were Yao, #2 Jay Williams, #3 Mike Dunleavy. At the Time Yao was a huge ? mark that alot of people thought was going to be a flop. Amare went #9 in that draft.
2001: Kwame Brown, #2 Tyson Chandler. They don't and didn't scream Superstar then or now. Gasol at #3 and Joe Johnson at #10 were the good lottery picks.
2000: #1 Kenyon Martin, #2 Stomile Swift, #3 Darius Miles. And it doesn't get any better. This whole draft was not good. I can't think of a player from this draft who was even an all star.

So having a definite #1-#2 in a draft that is going to be a superstar happens often enough. Its if you pick the right guys in these kind of drafts that matters. Because there isn't someone great makes it harder to pick out who is going to be a great player. If a guy that turns out to be a Joe Johnson type scorer goes to us at 6 (he went #10) then this draft well be great for us. Maybe just not great for the team that misses in the top 3.

There have been other drafts like this. For example:
2006 Were Bargnani went #1 and Adam Morrison #3. But Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay and Rajon Rondo were all drafted after that. But at the time there was no real player that screamed Superstar.
In 2002 the top 3 pick were Yao, #2 Jay Williams, #3 Mike Dunleavy. At the Time Yao was a huge ? mark that alot of people thought was going to be a flop. Amare went #9 in that draft.
2001: Kwame Brown, #2 Tyson Chandler. They don't and didn't scream Superstar then or now. Gasol at #3 and Joe Johnson at #10 were the good lottery picks.
2000: #1 Kenyon Martin, #2 Stomile Swift, #3 Darius Miles. And it doesn't get any better. This whole draft was not good. I can't think of a player from this draft who was even an all star.

So having a definite #1-#2 in a draft that is going to be a superstar happens often enough. Its if you pick the right guys in these kind of drafts that matters. Because there isn't someone great makes it harder to pick out who is going to be a great player. If a guy that turns out to be a Joe Johnson type scorer goes to us at 6 (he went #10) then this draft well be great for us. Maybe just not great for the team that misses in the top 3.

Fair points. I wouldn't agree with 2002. Yao was as close to a superstar lock as you can get, and you're selling Jay Williams short. Massive in college but he killed his career in that accident. I remember Martin as being a weak number one. The other ones had the big high school kids which were backed up by a lot of high schoolers succeeding. But yeah, a lot of raw talent being speculated on too high.

so would it be crazy to pick up an awesome PG and have harris on the bench and dropping watson and Price?

This is why I like Brandon Knight over any other PG. You can give Knight backup minutes at PG and some minutes at SG as well while he is groomed for the starting PG role. Of course, you still shop Harris even in his first year, but if no good deals come along you still have playing time for both.

I disagree about Martin. He was never the same after that injury his last game in college. Dude was a beast.

Cinci had a little juggernaut back then and he was the best player on a nasty team. Not as good as those UNLV teams, but Huggins could recruit. Martin was never that offensively skilled so much as nobody could body him up and he owned the paint. I was living in NYC when he got that fat contract and me and my buddy watched a good number of Nets games. Always thought he was solid, but even if he never got hurt I don't think he would have cracked the upper echelon.

I wrote this regarding drafting a point guard in the top-5:
If there's a Deron Williams or Chris Paul caliber PG there, I'd take him early - but Brandon Knight isn't on that level. Pass.
Received this negative (and unsigned) rep: "I pass on your lame comment"

Whoever left it, please, by all means, convince me otherwise (if you can) why I'm wrong and the Jazz should definitely spend a top-5 pick on Knight.